Belgium On the Brink
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:46:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Belgium On the Brink
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Should Belgium split into two countries?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Belgium On the Brink  (Read 5957 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 12:51:53 PM »

They should just make the two parts autonomous communities like in Spain, although it may be that way already.
While a strong move back in a centralist direction - but not all the way back - is indeed what Belgium needs, there's no political majority for it. Grin
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2007, 03:57:04 PM »

Coalition talks break down and potential prime minister has given up, no end in sight.

http://crisisinbelgium.blogspot.com/2007/12/deep-crisis-of-regime.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2007, 04:10:46 PM »

Oh boy, can't believe that they're unable to fix this...
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2007, 04:33:35 PM »

Look at the bright side, Germany might be getting larger from a few communities. Wink
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2007, 04:39:31 PM »

Look at the bright side, Germany might be getting larger from a few communities. Wink

Yeah, significantly larger... Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2007, 04:40:43 PM »

Ah, so the farce of having Leterme, of all people, attempting to build a coalition is over? What now?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2007, 04:48:38 PM »

Ah, so the farce of having Leterme, of all people, attempting to build a coalition is over? What now?

Maybe they'll end up with the same coalition as prior to the elections (Liberal-Social Democrats) with the Walloon Christian Democrats added in for stability. (The pre-election coalition has exactly 75 of 150 seats now.) Another alternative would be Liberals-Social Democrats-Greens, though I think the Liberals are unwilling to work with the Greens right now. Either way, CD&V doesn't seem likely to be in the next government.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2007, 04:52:18 PM »

Yeah, significantly larger... Tongue

A few miles of Lebensraum? Grin
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2007, 04:56:53 PM »

Maybe they'll end up with the same coalition as prior to the elections (Liberal-Social Democrats) with the Walloon Christian Democrats added in for stability. (The pre-election coalition has exactly 75 of 150 seats now.) Another alternative would be Liberals-Social Democrats-Greens, though I think the Liberals are unwilling to work with the Greens right now. Either way, CD&V doesn't seem likely to be in the next government.

Wouldn't new elections be a better way out of this? I think there's too much bad blood between them right now for any coalition to work, and anyway no party would go for those alternative coalitions, at least no Flemish party, because they would get slaughtered in the Flemish regional elections if they did.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2007, 05:27:18 PM »

Remind me, what are they arguing about?
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2007, 05:31:07 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2007, 05:38:09 PM by StateBoiler »

Here's an idea. Although I don't think the European Union (not to mention Belgians) would let it happen as it violates democratic principles.

-King Albert temporarily takes absolute power and suspends the constitution.
-King Albert, flanked by advisors, writes a new constitution that handles the constitutional problems the country are facing and the politicians are incapable of compromising on.
-After a period of time recalls the elected Parliament that has not yet seated, and has them vote on the new constitution he has drawn up. I'm not familiar with Belgian law, but I assume all he needs is a simple majority. Due to the threat of "loss of power" via worse options if the country splits up, I think you could get a simple majority to vote for the new constitution.
-King Albert then relinquishes his absolute power and gives it back to the elected Parliament, who are no longer faced with constitutional difficulties stopping the formation of government.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2007, 05:37:39 PM »

Here's an idea. Although I don't think the European Union (or Belgians) would let it happen as it violates democratic principles.

-King Albert, flanked by advisors, writes a new constitution that handles the constitutional problems the country are facing and the politicians are incapable of compromising on.
-After a period of time recalls the elected Parliament that has not yet seated, and has them vote on the new constitution he has drawn up. I'm not familiar with Belgian law, but I assume all he needs is a simple majority. Due to the threat of "loss of power" via worse options if the country splits up, I think you could get a simple majority to vote for the new constitution.
-King Albert then relinquishes his absolute power and gives it back to the elected Parliament, who are no longer faced with constitutional difficulties stopping the formation of government.

I think there are probably less radical 'solutions' to the problem that don't involve absolute monarchies or suspending the constitution.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2007, 05:39:12 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2007, 05:50:58 PM by StateBoiler »

Here's an idea. Although I don't think the European Union (or Belgians) would let it happen as it violates democratic principles.

I think there are probably less radical 'solutions' to the problem that don't involve absolute monarchies or suspending the constitution.

Can you give one? The politicians have presented themselves as completely incapable. Per a constitutional court, the Parliament is required to revise the Constitution, but neither side can agree on it.

I find this whole event fascinating. I can't think of a single precedent in post-World War II Western Civilization if it occurs. That's why this crisis intrigues me. Canada and Quebec came within 1% of the vote in the 1990s, but the split still did not happen there. The only country breakups and border changes we've had in recent history were Central and Eastern Europe after the Iron Curtain fell just because the states were no longer sustainable when there was no communist strongman dictator to hold the state together (best example of that being Tito in Yugoslavia), there's been some independence movements in far off spots in the world (East Timor from Indonesia, Eritrea from Ethiopia) and occasional mergers (West and East Germany, South and North Vietnam), but this is the first time in most people's lifetimes that a culture mostly similar to ours (similar meaning western civilization) is seeing a breakup due to political reasons. These sorts of things, from the perspective of your "globalization is king, nationalism is dead" type, should not happen in "an enlightened country".
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2007, 05:41:42 PM »

This article is from September and provides the background.

http://crisisinbelgium.blogspot.com/2007/09/what-are-issues-that-have-hampered.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2007, 05:52:23 PM »

Here's an idea. Although I don't think the European Union (not to mention Belgians) would let it happen as it violates democratic principles.

Hm, first, he'd need a two thirds majority. Second, the new parliament actually has already seated, that's how they were able to vote on BHV.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2007, 05:54:27 PM »

Can you give one?

Well, for a start, Bono is right, a new election may well be the most reasonable way to proceed.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2007, 05:58:53 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2007, 06:00:32 PM by StateBoiler »

Well, for a start, Bono is right, a new election may well be the most reasonable way to proceed.

They can't hold new elections until the Brussels-Halle-Vilvorde electoral district is split per the country's Supreme Court because it is unconstitutional, which is one of the sticking points on why a government can't be formed. So they can't hold new elections until that is done.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2007, 06:02:13 PM »

Can you give one?

Wouldn't that just reinforce Vlaams Belang's message that Belgium doesn't work and drive more Flemish voters into their camp?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2007, 06:02:49 PM »

They can't hold new elections until the Brussels-Halle-Vilvorde electoral district is split per the country's Supreme Court because it is unconstitutional, which is one of the sticking points on why a government can't be formed. So they can't hold new elections until that is done.

It's a Catch-22.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2007, 06:04:36 PM »

So, they do that with the current parliament.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2007, 07:58:25 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2007, 08:01:34 PM by Verily »

The previous Parliament has been dissolved, and the majority of the previous Parliament opposed splitting the district anyway. (The only parties which support splitting it are CD&V-NVA and Vlaams Belang, though Sp.A has not been very committed in its opposition.)

Also, although Brussels-Halle-Vilvoorde is illegal under the Constitution, it is also plainly the proper decision to keep it; the Francophone regions around Brussels should be annexed to Brussels, and want to be, but the Flemish are trying to impose themselves again. (Merging them would create a corridor from Wallonia to Brussels, horror of horrors!)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2007, 04:54:35 AM »

The previous Parliament has been dissolved, and the majority of the previous Parliament opposed splitting the district anyway. (The only parties which support splitting it are CD&V-NVA and Vlaams Belang, though Sp.A has not been very committed in its opposition.)

Also, although Brussels-Halle-Vilvoorde is illegal under the Constitution, it is also plainly the proper decision to keep it; the Francophone regions around Brussels should be annexed to Brussels, and want to be, but the Flemish are trying to impose themselves again. (Merging them would create a corridor from Wallonia to Brussels, horror of horrors!)

Hm, I don't know what you are talking about. I'm talking of the current parliament, the one elected in June, which has already been seated, and in a committee, has voted to break up BHV in a near unanimous vote by the Flemish parties.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2007, 02:39:17 PM »

It's the amazing disappearing Belgium!
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2007, 02:42:52 PM »

That gives Flanders to the Dutch and Wallonia to the French, right?  What about Brussels?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2007, 03:04:04 PM »

In all seriousness, I wonder if it would be granted its own autonomous status as the capital of the EU, in a similar way to DC in the USA, or the ACT in Australia?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies