By a Fluke of the Gods: Cox Defeats Harding
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:27:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  By a Fluke of the Gods: Cox Defeats Harding
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26
Author Topic: By a Fluke of the Gods: Cox Defeats Harding  (Read 186008 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: September 16, 2008, 11:22:12 PM »

Event Date: 9-03-2007
Event Description: Australian Prime Minister Mark Latham barely holds onto leadership of his party at the 2007 Labor Party National Convention.

Hate to nitpick but leadership disputes in Australian politics are not sort at National Conventions like in the United States and in Canada but rather their respective caucus rooms at Parliament House in Canberra. For example today's Liberal Party leadership change which saw Malcolm Turnbull become Opposition Leader was held in the Liberal Party's current caucus rooms at Parliament House.

That makes me Sad
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #576 on: September 17, 2008, 12:31:15 PM »

If I was to place the presidents from 1921 to 2009 in rankings, I would sort them like this:

Great Presidents:
Herbert Hoover and Joseph P. Kennedy, Junior

Near-Great Presidents:
Cordell Hull, Richard Nixon. Jack Kemp, Jim Webb

Average Presidents:

Douglas MacArthur, Thomas Dewey, John Ashbrook, Reginald Jackson

Below-Average Presidents:

James Cox, Ernest McFarland, George Bush

Failure as President:

Robert F. Kennedy

To Xahar,

I will be student teaching at a neighborhood junior high. My subject will be American Studies.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #577 on: September 17, 2008, 05:11:49 PM »

I'm sure you'll be a great teacher Smiley  And, in case this got lost:
What happened with Mark Pryor and Blanche Lincoln?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #578 on: September 17, 2008, 08:31:58 PM »

Well, report back to us! Smiley
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #579 on: September 18, 2008, 04:38:21 PM »

Ben,

The political history of Arkansas is one of Democratic rule since the 1880s, but in the 1970s there began a battle between the populists in the Arkansas Democratic Party and the Ashbrook conservatives.

Mark Pryor: The Pryor family was long the standard bearers for the populist Democrats of Arkansas. David Pryor, Mark's father, served as Governor of Arkansas and a Senator from 1975-1979. From 1979 to 1991, David Pryor serves as a U.S. Senator. In 1990, Senator Pryor was defeated in a dirty primary campaign by Congressman Asa Hutchinson. Mark Pryor, who was elected to Congress in 1994, decides not to challenge Senator Hutchinson in 1996, but in 2002 Pryor defeats Hutchinson by a 56-44% margin in the Democratic Primary. In 2008, Senator Pryor supported Vice-President Hutchinson for President.

Blanche Lincoln: Blanche Lincoln is a member of the fiscal conservative Democrats, those in the Ashbrooke and Kemp mold. In 1992, she was elected to the House of Representatives and became the House Minority Whip in 1995. In 1998, she became one of ten Democrats seeking to replace retiring Democratic Senator Dale Bumpers. Her strongest opponent in the primary was Congressman Ray Thornton, a populist Democrat. Lincoln was defeated by a 46-45% margin by Thornton in the 1998 Democratic Primary. In 2000, Lincoln served as the Southern Chair of the Hillary Rodham for President Campaign. In 2002, Lincoln was elected to her old seat in Congress, and decided not to seek the Senate in 2004 or the governorship in 2006.     
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #580 on: September 18, 2008, 09:59:31 PM »

Are any of the RL presidents viewed differently in this TL?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #581 on: September 19, 2008, 11:29:45 PM »

How did things end with Lyndon Johnson?
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #582 on: September 21, 2008, 02:44:38 PM »

HappyWarrior,

The country is more conservative in this TL then in RL. That reflects how many presidents are viewed, especially those who served from 1789-1921. Men like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, Grover Cleveland and William McKinley are seen very favorably by historians and the general public of history fans. Woodrow Wilson is generally considered a poor president due to the fact that he, and President Cox, both led disastrous foreign policies.

Ben,

Senator Lyndon Johnson served as a Congressman from 1935 to 1949, as in real life. As a conservative, pro-oil business Democrat in the Lone Star State, Johnson was able to easily manipulate the political workings of his state to become a Senator in 1949, defeating former Governor Coke Stevens by a comfortable margin (thus no "Landslide Lyndon" jokes). After the 1954 Midterm Elections, Senator Johnson became the Majority Leader, running a failed bid for president in 1956 but then becoming the closest ally of President Joseph Kennedy, Junior, in the Senate. In 1964 and 1968, LBJ turned down talk of drafting him into the Democratic Presidential nomination. In 1968, his friend Governor John Connally was the Democratic candidate for President, with Johnson tying much political capital to the Connally Campaign. Following the disastrous 1968 election, Senator Johnson was striped of his role as Democratic leader in the Senate and in 1972 he was defeated in the Democratic Senate Primary by Congressman Lloyd Bentsen, who defeated Republican John Tower, who was running his third campaign for U.S. Senate.

Senator Johnson lived until 1981, when he died of a massive heart attack at his ranch outside of Stonewall, Texas. From 1973 to 1981 Johnson co-owned a small oil company, his wife Claudia "Lady Bird" Johnson was the owner of an Austin radio station and LBJ became a political mentor for future Texas political giants like Kay Bailey Hutchinson, Ron Kirk and John Cornyn. "Life in the Arena", Johnson's best selling memoir, is still read by aspiring Texas politicans to this day. 
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #583 on: November 29, 2008, 03:20:30 PM »

I know that this Timeline has been over for a while but I want to know who the Senators in the present day would be in this TL.  I know thats a big load but I've been really wondering alot.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #584 on: November 30, 2008, 04:09:47 PM »

I know that this Timeline has been over for a while but I want to know who the Senators in the present day would be in this TL.  I know thats a big load but I've been really wondering alot.

Happy,

I will try to work on such a list over my Christmas Break.

Also, thanks for bumping my timeline. Smiley
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #585 on: November 30, 2008, 10:06:49 PM »

I just wish you were writing more, you are by far this sites best TL writing.
The Populist
Rookie

« Reply #586 on: December 01, 2008, 09:15:31 PM »

Could you please inform me on the fortunes of Estes Kefauver in this timeline?
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #587 on: December 01, 2008, 10:49:45 PM »

The Populist,

In 1952, Senator Estes Kefauver wins the Democratic nomination for President of the United States. His running-mate is Senator J. William Fulbright. Kefauver runs an energetic campaign, but is dogged by the unpopularity of lack luster Democratic President Ernest McFarland. In the end, the American people opt to buck the donkey and elect Republican Senator Thomas Dewey of New York the next President of the United States.

Following his defeat in 1952, Senator Kefauver becomes an ally of President Dewey, supporting many of his New Day social policies. He also leads an investagation into organized crime in 1954. In the 1956 Democratic Primaries, Kefauver fails to make any headway following a disasterous defeat in the New Hampshire Primary. In the end, he will reluctantly support Governor Joseph P. Kennedy, Junior, for President. In 1962, following years if service to his country, Senator kefuaver would die in office. Former President Dewey would perform the eulogy at his funeral, remembering, "The Senator who made the Volunteer State proud that he volunteered to serve."
The Populist
Rookie

« Reply #588 on: December 02, 2008, 05:36:22 PM »

The Populist,

In 1952, Senator Estes Kefauver wins the Democratic nomination for President of the United States. His running-mate is Senator J. William Fulbright. Kefauver runs an energetic campaign, but is dogged by the unpopularity of lack luster Democratic President Ernest McFarland. In the end, the American people opt to buck the donkey and elect Republican Senator Thomas Dewey of New York the next President of the United States.

Following his defeat in 1952, Senator Kefauver becomes an ally of President Dewey, supporting many of his New Day social policies. He also leads an investagation into organized crime in 1954. In the 1956 Democratic Primaries, Kefauver fails to make any headway following a disasterous defeat in the New Hampshire Primary. In the end, he will reluctantly support Governor Joseph P. Kennedy, Junior, for President. In 1962, following years if service to his country, Senator kefuaver would die in office. Former President Dewey would perform the eulogy at his funeral, remembering, "The Senator who made the Volunteer State proud that he volunteered to serve."

Thanks Smiley
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #589 on: January 27, 2009, 10:00:17 PM »

PBrunsel, I just finished reading your timeline, and this is the god of all TLs, and perhaps the best timeline ever written on this site. Thank you for writing this. If only Cox had defeated Harding......
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #590 on: January 27, 2009, 10:05:12 PM »

PBrunsel, I just finished reading your timeline, and this is the god of all TLs, and perhaps the best timeline ever written on this site. Thank you for writing this. If only Cox had defeated Harding......

Indeed; in my timelines, I look to this one for guidance, as should you.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #591 on: January 27, 2009, 10:06:48 PM »

Strange, I look to your TR wins in 1912, as I find that an excellent example of a great timeline.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #592 on: January 27, 2009, 10:39:05 PM »

Strange, I look to your TR wins in 1912, as I find that an excellent example of a great timeline.

While I am very honored Smiley, PBrunsel's blows mine out of the water.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #593 on: January 29, 2009, 10:47:52 PM »

PBrunsel, I have one question since you are the creator and the god of this timeline, can you give me a glimpse of the future, If that is too much to ask don't tell me, it is ok. I simply want to know if Kay Bailey won her re-election bid.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #594 on: February 01, 2009, 05:06:51 PM »

PBrunsel, I have one question since you are the creator and the god of this timeline, can you give me a glimpse of the future, If that is too much to ask don't tell me, it is ok. I simply want to know if Kay Bailey won her re-election bid.

NIK,

President Hutchinson first term is much like President George W. Bush's second term in RL. There is an economic crisis, a terrible tsunami like hurricane devistates the Pacific Coast and the Middle East once again explodes as the dogs of war bark in Iran and the Second Iran-Iraq War begins in 2010.

In the 2012 Election, Senator Barack Obama (Republican of Illonois) and Governor Jim Douglas (Republican of Vermont) defeat President Hutchinson and Vice-President Thompson in a landlside, making President Obama the second African-American president of the United States. The 2012 Election is marked by Obama winning many traditional Democratic states like Goergia, North Carolina, Indiana, Ohio, Virginia, Arkansas, Missouri and Kentucky.   
Captain Chaos
GZ67
United States

« Reply #595 on: February 01, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »

NIK,

President Hutchinson first term is much like President George W. Bush's second term in RL. There is an economic crisis, a terrible tsunami like hurricane devistates the Pacific Coast and the Middle East once again explodes as the dogs of war bark in Iran and the Second Iran-Iraq War begins in 2010.

In the 2012 Election, Senator Barack Obama (Republican of Illonois) and Governor Jim Douglas (Republican of Vermont) defeat President Hutchinson and Vice-President Thompson in a landlside, making President Obama the second African-American president of the United States. The 2012 Election is marked by Obama winning many traditional Democratic states like Goergia, North Carolina, Indiana, Ohio, Virginia, Arkansas, Missouri and Kentucky.   

A black Republican breaks the Democratic party's hold on the Solid South.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #596 on: March 24, 2009, 09:28:18 AM »

BUMP for the greatest TL ever.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #597 on: March 24, 2009, 09:41:09 AM »

Certainly one of the best. I'd personally put it as a tossup with (also PBrunsel's) Nixon the Friend timeline.

What I can say for certain is that PBrunsel is the alt timeline God.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #598 on: March 24, 2009, 12:54:48 PM »

Absolutely.  No other TL comes close.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #599 on: March 24, 2009, 03:19:28 PM »

Well guys, I am certainly flattered by your comments. It's good to know that some people think I am a good writer. Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies