Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 02:02:00 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Election What-ifs? (Moderators: Bacon King, Dallasfan65)
| | |-+  By a Fluke of the Gods: Cox Defeats Harding
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 Print
Author Topic: By a Fluke of the Gods: Cox Defeats Harding  (Read 102275 times)
HappyWarrior
hannibal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

View Profile WWW
« Reply #575 on: September 13, 2008, 06:48:20 am »
Ignore

Probably the greatest timeline in Atlasian history.  Please tell me you'll be writing another soon.  Btw, I have questions on a few things:

Whats happened to Bill Richardson, Hillary Rodham, and the rest of the people who ran in 2008 in RL who were'nt really mentioned in the 2008 update?

Also who were the Keynote Convention speakers in 2008 in this Timeline?

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
-William Jennings Bryan
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 13, 2008, 10:00:01 am »
Ignore

Grade: A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 14, 2008, 04:23:59 am »
Ignore

Presidents of the United States

29th: James Cox (Democratic - Ohio) 1921-1925
30th: Herbert Hoover (Republican - California) 1925-1933
31st: Cordell Hull (Democratic - Tennessee) 1933-1941
32nd: Douglas MacArthur (Republican - Wisconsin) 1941-1949
33rd: Ernest McFarland (Democratic - Arizona) 1949-1953
34th: Thomas Dewey (Republican - New York) 1953-1957
35th: Joseph P. Kennedy Junior (Democratic - Massachusetts) 1957-1965
36th: Richard Nixon (Republican - California) 1965-1973
37th: John Ashbrook (Democratic - Ohio) 1973-1977
38th: George Bush (Republican - Connecticut) 1977-1981
39th: Robert F. Kennedy (Democratic - Massachusetts) 1981-1983
40th: Jack Kemp (Democratic - New York) 1983-1993
41st: Reginald Jackson (Republican - Pennsylvania) 1993-2001
42nd: James Webb (Democratic - Virginia) 2001-2009
43rd: Kay Bailey Hutchison (Democratic - Texas) 2009-??

Vice Presidents of the United States

29th: Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic - New York) 1921-1922
30th: Robert La Follette (Republican - Wisconsin) 1925
31st: Charles Dawes (Republican - Illinois) 1929-1933
32nd: James Curley (Democratic - Massachusetts) 1933-1941
33rd: H. Styles Bridges (Republican - New Hampshire) 1941-1949
34th: Henry Schricker (Democratic - Indiana) 1949-1953
35th: Edward Arn (Republican - Kansas) 1953-1957
36th: Stuart Symington (Democratic - Missouri) 1957-1963
37th: Margaret Chase Smith (Republican - Maine) 1965-1973
38th: James E. Carter (Democratic - Georgia) 1973-1977
39th: John Love (Republican - Colorado) 1977-1981
40th: Jack Kemp (Democratic - New York) 1981-1983
41st: John McCain (Democratic - Arizona) 1985-1993
42nd: William J. Clinton (Republican - California) 1993-1997
43rd: Paul Wellstone (Republican - Minnesota) 1997-2001
44th:  Kay Bailey Hutchison (Democratic - Texas) 2001-2009
45th: Tommy Thompson (Democratic - Wisconsin) 2009-??

Here's to the State of Richard Nixon

Some things are better left covered up.
PBrunsel
YaBB God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #578 on: September 14, 2008, 01:17:29 pm »
Ignore

Everyone,

Thank you for not just the kind comments you have posted, but for reading my timeline and encouraging me to keep it going. Also, thank you Rockefeller Republican for chronicling the presidents and vice-presidents. Smiley

I am taking a smal break from timline writing due to a heavy work load as I begin to wrap up college and begin my teaching career. However, I have some ideas for a new timeline and will begin writing them down as soon as I have time.

Now to answer Happy Warrior's questions:

1. Here is what happened to some people by 2009:

Hillary Rodham: Rodham was appointed to the Supreme Court by President Webb in 2005. She serves as a conservative justice for the rest of her life.

Chris Dodd: Following his defeat for reelection in 1992, Senator Dodd switiched to the Republican Party and served as Mayor of East Haddam, Connecticut from 1998-2006.

Bill Richardson: Richardson served in Congress as a Republican from 1983-1995. In 1995 he was appointed Secretary of the Interior by President Reginald Jackson. In 2003, Richardson became the Governor of New Mexico and supported Mark Warner for the Replican Nomination.

Joseph Lieberman: Lieberman served as Connecticutt Attoryney General from 1983-1995. As a Republican he could not defeat the incumbent GOP senators or governor, so he was elected to Congress in 1996, serving there today.

Mike Gravel: Following two unsuccessful bids for the Oval Office in 2000, Gravel retired to Virginia to work on creating a lasting and powerful third party option, which would never come.

Mike Huckabee: Elected as a populist Democrat to the Arkasnas Governorship in 1998, Huckabee supported Governor Barbour in 2008, but switched his support to Vice-President Hutchinson follwoing the demise of the Barbour campaign. Janet Huckabee, his wife, is appointed Undersecretary of Education.

Fred Thompson: The Southern Fried politican, Thompson serves one term as a U.S. Senator from 1997-2003, being defeated by Congressman Jim Bryant in the 2002 Democratic Primary. Following this defeat, Thompson begins a radio program "Plain Tale with Fred" and ends up in the insurance business.

Wesley Clark: A close friend of President Webb, he contiunes to serve as Secretary of Defense under President Hutchinson until he retires in 2011. He is replaced by his own friend, General David Patreas.

Barack Obama: Senator Obama serves as the new face of progressive America following the defeat of Senator Feingold. After giving the keynote address at the 2008 Republican Convemntion, he is seen as the front runner for the 2012 GOP nomination. 

"I know that the Lord is always on the side of the right. But it is my constant anxiety and prayer that I and this nation should be on the Lord's side."
-President Abraham Lincoln, December 1862
Warner for President '16
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 14, 2008, 02:04:37 pm »
Ignore

What happened with Mark Pryor and Blanche Lincoln?

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: September 14, 2008, 04:56:39 pm »
Ignore

Also, thank you Rockefeller Republican for chronicling the presidents and vice-presidents. Smiley

Glad to do it Paul. Its the sort of thing I post when I'm quite bored on a Saturday or Sunday night Wink.

One final question Paul, as of 2008 have noted presidential historians released a list of the Greatest American Presidents of all time? I wouldn't be surprised if 30th President of the United States Herbert Clark Hoover is high amongst that list.

Good and Good Luck with your upcoming teaching career. I'm sure you'll make an excellent teacher Grin

Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 16, 2008, 12:47:45 am »
Ignore

Good and Good Luck with your upcoming teaching career. I'm sure you'll make an excellent teacher Grin

Yes, Good and Good Luck indeed. Where will you teach?

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 16, 2008, 02:13:01 am »
Ignore

Event Date: 9-03-2007
Event Description: Australian Prime Minister Mark Latham barely holds onto leadership of his party at the 2007 Labor Party National Convention.

Hate to nitpick but leadership disputes in Australian politics are not sort at National Conventions like in the United States and in Canada but rather their respective caucus rooms at Parliament House in Canberra. For example today's Liberal Party leadership change which saw Malcolm Turnbull become Opposition Leader was held in the Liberal Party's current caucus rooms at Parliament House.

Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: September 16, 2008, 11:22:12 pm »
Ignore

Event Date: 9-03-2007
Event Description: Australian Prime Minister Mark Latham barely holds onto leadership of his party at the 2007 Labor Party National Convention.

Hate to nitpick but leadership disputes in Australian politics are not sort at National Conventions like in the United States and in Canada but rather their respective caucus rooms at Parliament House in Canberra. For example today's Liberal Party leadership change which saw Malcolm Turnbull become Opposition Leader was held in the Liberal Party's current caucus rooms at Parliament House.

That makes me Sad

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
PBrunsel
YaBB God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #584 on: September 17, 2008, 12:31:15 pm »
Ignore

If I was to place the presidents from 1921 to 2009 in rankings, I would sort them like this:

Great Presidents:
Herbert Hoover and Joseph P. Kennedy, Junior

Near-Great Presidents:
Cordell Hull, Richard Nixon. Jack Kemp, Jim Webb

Average Presidents:

Douglas MacArthur, Thomas Dewey, John Ashbrook, Reginald Jackson

Below-Average Presidents:

James Cox, Ernest McFarland, George Bush

Failure as President:

Robert F. Kennedy

To Xahar,

I will be student teaching at a neighborhood junior high. My subject will be American Studies.

"I know that the Lord is always on the side of the right. But it is my constant anxiety and prayer that I and this nation should be on the Lord's side."
Warner for President '16
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: September 17, 2008, 05:11:49 pm »
Ignore

I'm sure you'll be a great teacher Smiley  And, in case this got lost:
What happened with Mark Pryor and Blanche Lincoln?

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 17, 2008, 08:31:58 pm »
Ignore

Well, report back to us! Smiley

Update reading list

PBrunsel
YaBB God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #587 on: September 18, 2008, 04:38:21 pm »
Ignore

Ben,

The political history of Arkansas is one of Democratic rule since the 1880s, but in the 1970s there began a battle between the populists in the Arkansas Democratic Party and the Ashbrook conservatives.

Mark Pryor: The Pryor family was long the standard bearers for the populist Democrats of Arkansas. David Pryor, Mark's father, served as Governor of Arkansas and a Senator from 1975-1979. From 1979 to 1991, David Pryor serves as a U.S. Senator. In 1990, Senator Pryor was defeated in a dirty primary campaign by Congressman Asa Hutchinson. Mark Pryor, who was elected to Congress in 1994, decides not to challenge Senator Hutchinson in 1996, but in 2002 Pryor defeats Hutchinson by a 56-44% margin in the Democratic Primary. In 2008, Senator Pryor supported Vice-President Hutchinson for President.

Blanche Lincoln: Blanche Lincoln is a member of the fiscal conservative Democrats, those in the Ashbrooke and Kemp mold. In 1992, she was elected to the House of Representatives and became the House Minority Whip in 1995. In 1998, she became one of ten Democrats seeking to replace retiring Democratic Senator Dale Bumpers. Her strongest opponent in the primary was Congressman Ray Thornton, a populist Democrat. Lincoln was defeated by a 46-45% margin by Thornton in the 1998 Democratic Primary. In 2000, Lincoln served as the Southern Chair of the Hillary Rodham for President Campaign. In 2002, Lincoln was elected to her old seat in Congress, and decided not to seek the Senate in 2004 or the governorship in 2006.     

HappyWarrior
hannibal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #588 on: September 18, 2008, 09:59:31 pm »
Ignore

Are any of the RL presidents viewed differently in this TL?

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
-William Jennings Bryan
Warner for President '16
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 19, 2008, 11:29:45 pm »
Ignore

How did things end with Lyndon Johnson?

PBrunsel
YaBB God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #590 on: September 21, 2008, 02:44:38 pm »
Ignore

HappyWarrior,

The country is more conservative in this TL then in RL. That reflects how many presidents are viewed, especially those who served from 1789-1921. Men like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, Grover Cleveland and William McKinley are seen very favorably by historians and the general public of history fans. Woodrow Wilson is generally considered a poor president due to the fact that he, and President Cox, both led disastrous foreign policies.

Ben,

Senator Lyndon Johnson served as a Congressman from 1935 to 1949, as in real life. As a conservative, pro-oil business Democrat in the Lone Star State, Johnson was able to easily manipulate the political workings of his state to become a Senator in 1949, defeating former Governor Coke Stevens by a comfortable margin (thus no "Landslide Lyndon" jokes). After the 1954 Midterm Elections, Senator Johnson became the Majority Leader, running a failed bid for president in 1956 but then becoming the closest ally of President Joseph Kennedy, Junior, in the Senate. In 1964 and 1968, LBJ turned down talk of drafting him into the Democratic Presidential nomination. In 1968, his friend Governor John Connally was the Democratic candidate for President, with Johnson tying much political capital to the Connally Campaign. Following the disastrous 1968 election, Senator Johnson was striped of his role as Democratic leader in the Senate and in 1972 he was defeated in the Democratic Senate Primary by Congressman Lloyd Bentsen, who defeated Republican John Tower, who was running his third campaign for U.S. Senate.

Senator Johnson lived until 1981, when he died of a massive heart attack at his ranch outside of Stonewall, Texas. From 1973 to 1981 Johnson co-owned a small oil company, his wife Claudia "Lady Bird" Johnson was the owner of an Austin radio station and LBJ became a political mentor for future Texas political giants like Kay Bailey Hutchinson, Ron Kirk and John Cornyn. "Life in the Arena", Johnson's best selling memoir, is still read by aspiring Texas politicans to this day. 

HappyWarrior
hannibal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #591 on: November 29, 2008, 03:20:30 pm »
Ignore

I know that this Timeline has been over for a while but I want to know who the Senators in the present day would be in this TL.  I know thats a big load but I've been really wondering alot.

-William Jennings Bryan
PBrunsel
YaBB God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #592 on: November 30, 2008, 04:09:47 pm »
Ignore

I know that this Timeline has been over for a while but I want to know who the Senators in the present day would be in this TL.  I know thats a big load but I've been really wondering alot.

Happy,

I will try to work on such a list over my Christmas Break.

Also, thanks for bumping my timeline. Smiley

HappyWarrior
hannibal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #593 on: November 30, 2008, 10:06:49 pm »
Ignore

I just wish you were writing more, you are by far this sites best TL writing.

-William Jennings Bryan
The Populist

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 01, 2008, 09:15:31 pm »
Ignore

Could you please inform me on the fortunes of Estes Kefauver in this timeline?

Economic score: -4.65
Social score: +5.22
PBrunsel
YaBB God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #595 on: December 01, 2008, 10:49:45 pm »
Ignore

The Populist,

In 1952, Senator Estes Kefauver wins the Democratic nomination for President of the United States. His running-mate is Senator J. William Fulbright. Kefauver runs an energetic campaign, but is dogged by the unpopularity of lack luster Democratic President Ernest McFarland. In the end, the American people opt to buck the donkey and elect Republican Senator Thomas Dewey of New York the next President of the United States.

Following his defeat in 1952, Senator Kefauver becomes an ally of President Dewey, supporting many of his New Day social policies. He also leads an investagation into organized crime in 1954. In the 1956 Democratic Primaries, Kefauver fails to make any headway following a disasterous defeat in the New Hampshire Primary. In the end, he will reluctantly support Governor Joseph P. Kennedy, Junior, for President. In 1962, following years if service to his country, Senator kefuaver would die in office. Former President Dewey would perform the eulogy at his funeral, remembering, "The Senator who made the Volunteer State proud that he volunteered to serve."

The Populist

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 02, 2008, 05:36:22 pm »
Ignore

The Populist,

In 1952, Senator Estes Kefauver wins the Democratic nomination for President of the United States. His running-mate is Senator J. William Fulbright. Kefauver runs an energetic campaign, but is dogged by the unpopularity of lack luster Democratic President Ernest McFarland. In the end, the American people opt to buck the donkey and elect Republican Senator Thomas Dewey of New York the next President of the United States.

Following his defeat in 1952, Senator Kefauver becomes an ally of President Dewey, supporting many of his New Day social policies. He also leads an investagation into organized crime in 1954. In the 1956 Democratic Primaries, Kefauver fails to make any headway following a disasterous defeat in the New Hampshire Primary. In the end, he will reluctantly support Governor Joseph P. Kennedy, Junior, for President. In 1962, following years if service to his country, Senator kefuaver would die in office. Former President Dewey would perform the eulogy at his funeral, remembering, "The Senator who made the Volunteer State proud that he volunteered to serve."

Thanks Smiley

Economic score: -4.65
Social score: +5.22
Psychic Octopus
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 27, 2009, 10:00:17 pm »
Ignore

PBrunsel, I just finished reading your timeline, and this is the god of all TLs, and perhaps the best timeline ever written on this site. Thank you for writing this. If only Cox had defeated Harding......

Warner for President '16
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: January 27, 2009, 10:05:12 pm »
Ignore

PBrunsel, I just finished reading your timeline, and this is the god of all TLs, and perhaps the best timeline ever written on this site. Thank you for writing this. If only Cox had defeated Harding......

Indeed; in my timelines, I look to this one for guidance, as should you.

Psychic Octopus
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: January 27, 2009, 10:06:48 pm »
Ignore

Indeed; in my timelines, I look to this one for guidance, as should you.

Strange, I look to your TR wins in 1912, as I find that an excellent example of a great timeline.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout