1988: Biden/Bentsen vs. Deukmejian/Kemp
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:17:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1988: Biden/Bentsen vs. Deukmejian/Kemp
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1988: Biden/Bentsen vs. Deukmejian/Kemp  (Read 1219 times)
pragmatic liberal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2007, 11:27:42 PM »

This is a slightly different timeline. I picked as my point of divergence not 1988 but 1968.

I plan to go into greater detail with this in the future; for the time-being I will simply lay out the campaigns the follow and their outcomes:

1968: Humphrey and Muskie (D) defeat Nixon and Agnew (R)
1972: Ronald Reagan and Richard Schweiker (R) defeat Humphrey and Muskie (D)
1976: Reagan and Schweiker (R) defeat former VP Muskie and Sen. Dale Bumpers (D)
1980: Gov. Reubin Askew of Florida and Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware (D) defeat VP Schweiker and Sen. John Danforth of Missouri (R)

1984: Askew-Biden (D) defeats Sen. Robert Dole and Amb. Ann Armstrong (R)

So we get to 1988; Vice President Biden is nominated by the Democrats, picking Texas Sen. Lloyd Bentsen as his running mate. The Republicans nominate Gov. George Deukmejian of California; for his running mate, Deukmejian selects Rep. Jack Kemp of New York.

So after 8 years of Askew (D), who wins a race between Biden and Deukmejian?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 09:32:03 PM »

After 8 years of Democratic administration, the Republicans are returned to power in a close, hard fought election.

Deukmajian/Kemp                289
Biden/Bentsen                     249

gorkay

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 04:06:38 PM »

Your timeline is very plausible. Of course, much would depend on how the alternative presidents and vice-presidents performed, or were perceived to have performed, in office. Not to try to run your timeline for you, but it would be interesting to speculate on such questions as what Humphrey and Muskie would have done about Vietnam (and Reagan and Schweiker, for that matter, if the war was still going when they took office). Or what Reagan and Schweiker would have done about the hostage crisis, provided you think there still would have been one with them in office.
pragmatic liberal

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 07:47:36 PM »

Your timeline is very plausible. Of course, much would depend on how the alternative presidents and vice-presidents performed, or were perceived to have performed, in office. Not to try to run your timeline for you, but it would be interesting to speculate on such questions as what Humphrey and Muskie would have done about Vietnam (and Reagan and Schweiker, for that matter, if the war was still going when they took office). Or what Reagan and Schweiker would have done about the hostage crisis, provided you think there still would have been one with them in office.

I was hoping to flesh this out further in a Wakie-style timeline, but since it'll be awhile till I will even have time to do that (if ever), I might as well run through a discussion of some of the possibilities right now.

Anytime you're changing something major in history (such as presidents), there will be other changes that will be hard to foresee. Unless there is some direct cause for an event to not have happened, I'll assume that an event or something similar would have occurred. For instance, my timeline assumes that Ted Kennedy still has his Chappaquiddick incident, that Bentsen is elected to the Senate in 1988, and that George Wallace is still shot.

Hubert Humphrey's Administration

I envision Humphrey winning a narrow electoral college victory but losing the national popular vote. The defeat spells the end of Richard Nixon, who withdraws into a haze of depression of bitterness (although he does receive an ambassadorship under Ronald Reagan).

I would expect that in line with the late '68 "Halloween peace talks," there would have been renewed efforts at a tentative "peace" deal that would enable troops to be pulled out. Whether Humphrey would actually have pulled the troops out is a legitimate question. We know now that Humphrey was privately very skeptical of the war and sympathetic to a pullout but publicly backed White House policy in order to prevent repercussions from Johnson. However, a President Humphrey may well have felt constrained by the political options and dithered on a withdrawal. I believe he would however have pulled troops out by 1970. South Vietnam would likely have fallen within a year or two and the issue with prove divisive at home and major issue with conservatives.

School desegregation would likely have proceeded much as in real life (possibly somewhat sooner, probably somewhat more violently); bussing would probably have been implemented as well. In fact, by and large, I would expect that a Humphrey administration would have a domestic record not all that unlike the Nixon administration.

As for China, Humphrey was an old cold warrior, but it is likely that by the 1970s, whoever was US president would have had to start opening doors to China. I don't think Humphrey could have afforded something as visible as Nixon's surprise trip (especially in the aftermath of an embarrassing Vietnam withdrawal), but backchannel communications and some thaw would have been quite possible.

Another interesting question: would the Electoral College still be with us? The institution came closer to being abolished in 1969 than it ever has before or since. Given close elections in 1948, 1960 and 1968, plus the threat of no electoral majority in '68, the House of Reps actually overwhelmingly approved an amendment to replace the EC with a national popular vote (with runoffs authorized if no one received more than 40% of the vote). Polls even showed it passing the requisite number of state legislatures and its Senate prospects appeared good too. A Southern filibuster, however, combined with opposition from many conservative Republicans persuaded enough wavering senators to vote against, however, dooming it.

Would the Republicans have opposed it unanimously if it had cost them the election in '68? For the sake of simplicity, I'll assume the institution would have remained, but it's something to consider.

Going into the 1972 elections, Humphrey's approval ratings hovered in the low-to-mid '40s. His administration had amassed a fairly impressive domestic record, but his withdrawal from Vietnam coupled with detente policies towards the Soviets and the Chinese AND the economic woes of 1970 would have made his reelection iffy to begin with. The fact that the right (Nixon and Wallace) won a combined 56% of the vote in 1968 illustrates what a hole he was in. Also, the country was coming off of 12 years of Democratic rule; a change in power was likely.

The 1972 Republican nomination campaign would have been a pitched battle between Ronald Reagan and the moderates in the party. Nelson Rockefeller would have run again, but his campaign would have been steamrolled by the Reagan campaign. Reagan's "radical" reputation would have encouraged the Humphrey/Muskie campaign, as early polls would show the incumbents winning comfortably. But despite doubts about his electability, Reagan would win the nomination and select a moderate-to-liberal Republican (such as Schweiker) as his running mate.

Assuming George Wallace still withdrew from the race (having been assassinated), I would assume a straight Humphrey vs. Reagan race would result in a narrow Reagan win.
pragmatic liberal

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »

The Ronald Reagan Administration (1973-1981)

A Reagan presidency during the 1970s would have been a far more contentious one than the one he had in real life. I imagine that in his first term, Reagan would have ended White House advocacy of more federal programs and I imagine he would have been a fairly aggressive veto-wielder. He would have pushed for major tax cuts, but would probably have had to settle (in his first term) for more modest ones.

In foreign policy, he may have (after initial friction) continued the detente policies with China. It isn't difficult to imagine a "Reagan in China" event, perhaps around 1975 or maybe only in his second term. Relations with the Soviet Union would have chilled, however. The Nixon/Ford/Carter-era arms control agreements that we got in real life almost certainly would have been dead on the water. Instead, we'd get an arms buildup, which would have been heavily resisted by Congress.

Reagan would have faced economic difficulties early in his second term and he would have little control over the collapse of the Bretton-Woods system and the oil embargo, which may well have unfolded much as they did in real life. He would have faced moderate losses in Congress in 1974. His tax cuts would have had a mild stimulative effect on the economy as would his dismantling of the Johnson/Humphrey-era regulatory apparatus. But inequality would have increased and he would have faced major labor disputes with major unions - more so than occurred in real life.

In short, I imagine that a Reagan presidency in the 1970s would have been more like Thatcher's UK in the 1980s. Reagan's personal popularity, a backlash against the '60s, and the moderate economic recovery of the mid-70s would have granted him a substantial reelection, but overall his presidency would have been more divisive and more mixed than the one he actually faced.

Following a landslide '72 victory over former Vice President Muskie, Reagan would have been in a position to demand major income tax cuts as well as sharply increased defense spending. Although Congress would still have had a Democratic majority, it would be sharply reduced compared to real life and there would be a strong and active conservative coalition (approximating the partisan breakdown of the House in the real-life 1980s).

As for Iran? Carter's human rights policy did do something to encourage Iranian reformers and the mixed signals the Carter administration gave to the Shah didn't help. I imagine though that US policy would still generally have been to back the Shah, but that the Shah would still have faced severe strife. It's possible there would have been an unsuccessful (or successful but pyrrhic) American intervention to retain the Shah, but this may only have delayed the inevitable and the Iranian monarchy may well have collapsed, if only at a slightly later date.

In fact, I imagine that these would be the troubles that would ultimately give the Democrats a strong chance at taking back the White House in 1980. Vice President Schweiker would have been nominated but not without substantial ire from the right-wing of the party. He would probably have had to name a conservative to the ticket; I said Danforth above, but Bob Dole would have been another likely pick (assuming both men still made it into the Senate as in real life), as would Howard Baker.

The Askew Administration

Askew's sort of the weak link here; I know he was a highly regarded Florida governor and was considered a rising star. Why didn't he run for president in 1976? And if he was so highly regarded, why did his '84 bid fall flat?

I won't go into as much detail as this one, but I'd speculate that an Agnew presidency in overall thrust would have been somewhat similar to a Bill Clinton presidency, only in the '80s, not the '90s.

He would have inherited an economy that was picking up after the monetarist transition of the later Reagan years. He would have faced enormous budget deficits, however, from Reagan's tax cuts and from the heavy spending of the Johnson/Humphrey years, deficits that would have needed to have been fixed by small tax increases and budget cuts.

Overall though, his administration would have been one of economic prosperity, with the president charting a centrist path and occupying a position in his party between the old Dixiecrat conservatives (still a force) and the old-line liberals.

In foreign policy, Askew would have had to deal with the Soviet Union's twilight; the high defense spending incurred by trying to keep up with Reagan's arms buildups coupled with the war in Afghanistan could have brought about the Soviet collapse earlier. I won't speculate as to the manner - I'll just assume it would have unfolded similarly to how it did in real life, but accelerated by a few years (with the actual collapse coming shortly into the term of the next president.)

But there you have it - some thoughts on how life may have turned out. Any other ideas?
gorkay

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 11:20:16 AM »

Your conclusions seem plausible to me, and well thought-out. As for Askew: didn't he run briefly in '76? Or was it just speculated that he might run and he didn't? There were so many Democratic candidates that year I can't keep track of them all. If he didn't, he should have: 1976 was about the only year he had a chance. By '84 he had gone from rising star to has-been. That can happen awfully fast in politics.

BTW, the speculation about a Humphrey presidency reminds me that the latest issue of the New York Review of Books has a fascinating excerpt from Arthur Schlesinger's journals of '66, '67 and '68, with his takes on the main actors in Democratic politics in those days. The journals are coming out in book form next month, and should be really interesting.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies