Giuliani party seeks $9.11 per person
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:09:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Giuliani party seeks $9.11 per person
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Giuliani party seeks $9.11 per person  (Read 4096 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 25, 2007, 10:50:08 AM »

Oh geez, this takes the 9/11 theme to new lows. If Giuliani doesn't refuse this donation, he should just switch to run for the presidency of 9/11 instead.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070925/ap_po/giuliani_house_party

By LIBBY QUAID, Associated Press Writer Tue Sep 25, 7:37 AM ET

WASHINGTON - A spokeswoman for Rudy Giuliani says it is unfortunate that a supporter throwing a party that aims to raise $9.11 per person for the Republican's presidential campaign is asking for that amount.

Abraham Sofaer is having a fundraiser at his Palo Alto, Calif., home on Wednesday, when Giuliani backers across the country are participating in the campaign's national house party night.

But Sofaer said he had nothing to do with the "$9.11 for Rudy" theme.

"There are some young people who came up with it," Sofaer said when reached by telephone Monday evening. He referred other questions to Giuliani's campaign.

"I'm just providing support for him. He's an old friend of mine," Sofaer said of Giuliani.

Sofaer was a State Department adviser under President Reagan and is a fellow at Stanford University's Hoover Institution. Federal election data indicates Sofaer has given nearly $50,000 to Republican causes and candidates, including Giuliani, since 1995.

Giuliani spokeswoman Maria Comella said: "These are two volunteers who acted independently of and without the knowledge of the campaign. Their decision to ask individuals for that amount was an unfortunate choice."

According to the invitation, "$9.11 for Rudy" is an "independent, non-denominational grass-roots campaign to raise $10,000 in small increments to show how many individual, everyday Americans support 'America's Mayor.'"

Giuliani was mayor of New York during the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 11:40:17 AM »

It makes perfect sense to me. His entire candidacy is based upon it so why not?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 11:46:18 AM »

You're f**king kidding me?!
gorkay

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 11:51:14 AM »

Crassness, thy name is Giuliani.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 11:54:09 AM »

*Shrug*

I guess you have to want to be offended by this.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 11:58:45 AM »

*Shrug*

I guess you have to want to be offended by this.

I'm not offended... it's just tacky... which is far far worse.

I guess you just not want to see anything wrong with it Wink
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 12:54:13 PM »

Honestly, this is not the most offensive thing I've encountered in political history, to say the least. Also, given that it isn't an official campaign thing, who cares?
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 12:54:26 PM »

I actually think he should request that folks donate $4.11 as you would have to be stoned to vote for him.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 01:00:16 PM »

I actually think he should request that folks donate $4.11 as you would have to be stoned to vote for him.

Nine cents short, there, buddy.  411 is the number for information.

Honestly, this is not the most offensive thing I've encountered in political history, to say the least. Also, given that it isn't an official campaign thing, who cares?

Because it's so en vogue to hate Giuliani for things well beyond his control!
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 01:03:31 PM »

Nine cents short, there, buddy.  411 is the number for information.

Yeah, I know ... I was trying to be ironic (as in Rudy wouldn't know it is 420).  Oh well ....
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 01:04:29 PM »

Why does the GOP keep trying to milk 9/11? It didn't work in '06(thankfully) and won't work in '08.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 01:23:19 PM »

DISGUSTING
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 01:24:45 PM »

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 01:46:07 PM »

He can refuse the money though, and if he doesn't he should be held accountable.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 01:47:03 PM »

The GOP needs to stop trying to milk 9/11.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 01:49:34 PM »

On what moral grounds should Giuliani refuse this money?  Because the dollar amount is tacky?

It's dumb, but I don't see why this is a story.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 01:54:02 PM »

Why does the GOP keep trying to milk 9/11? It didn't work in '06(thankfully) and won't work in '08.
It sort of perplexes me that they try to portray the Dems as so weak on terrorism, when in reality 9/11 happened under a Republican President (who ignored a memo "Bin Laden determined to strike" no less), in a State with a Republican Governor, in a city with a Republican Mayor (who didn't install proper radios and put the command center at the WTC). It's totally ridiculous and phony. What's even worse is they continually repeat the lie that Clinton didn't do anything, when pretty much every time Clinton brought the subject of Terrorism up they obstructed him.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 01:55:15 PM »

The GOP is grasping at straws to try to get more voters. They've already maxed out the percentages of people they can grab in their demographics(white christians).
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 01:58:52 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2007, 02:01:07 PM by A Cold Glass Of Hitler »

The GOP is grasping at straws to try to get more voters. They've already maxed out the percentages of people they can grab in their demographics(white christians).
Pretty much, the GOP basically have based all their strategy on the assumption that white conservative protestants are always going to be around in large numbers. But common sense tells us that's not so. In the long term, Demographics plus a change in public attitudes on all multiple wedge issues they've hackishly used to win (e.g. Gay Rights) is going to destroy them.

Of course the current coalition of "Christian" Conservatives, Neo-Cons, Fiscal Conservatives, Libertarians, etc. never really made much sense to begin with.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 02:21:50 PM »

There wouldn't be this kind of uproar if Barack Obama was charging $6.66.

Yes we know. Obama is a black devil.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 02:29:30 PM »

He can refuse the money though, and if he doesn't he should be held accountable.

Agreed, it's very important for him to symbolically reject the, uh... seriously, we're talking about nine dollars and eleven cents here.  What will the sum total be?  $100, if that?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 03:24:56 PM »

Agreed, it's very important for him to symbolically reject the, uh... seriously, we're talking about nine dollars and eleven cents here.  What will the sum total be?  $100, if that?

Exactly. The bad press he'd get wouldn't be worth if the couple hundred bucks it'd raise. There's no reason for him to not refuse the money.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 03:45:56 PM »

Exactly. The bad press he'd get wouldn't be worth if the couple hundred bucks it'd raise. There's no reason for him to not refuse the money.

But Giuliani is a cheapskate. He got the conservative ad rate in the NY Times, paying less than half of what MoveOn paid for the same exact type of ad.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2007, 12:35:17 AM »

Yeah, I know ... I was trying to be ironic (as in Rudy wouldn't know it is 420).

That worked out well for you.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2007, 01:03:20 AM »

But Giuliani is a cheapskate. He got the conservative ad rate in the NY Times, paying less than half of what MoveOn paid for the same exact type of ad.

Uh oh, bad news!  I don't want a President who is a cheapskate!  I want one that spends like a drunken sailor!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies