Giuliani's excuse for answering his cell phone during a speech: 9/11
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:50:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Giuliani's excuse for answering his cell phone during a speech: 9/11
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Giuliani's excuse for answering his cell phone during a speech: 9/11  (Read 2486 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2007, 12:47:21 PM »

I wouldn't consider Giuliani to be socially liberal.

The fact that he is considered that shows how warped the political spectrum is seen by many in the United States.

He'd be socially liberal by Irish standards.

Ehmmm.. how about no? With the exception of abortion, which I think was just oppurtunism on his part anyway that's utterly, utterly not true. Giuliani could never be elected in Ireland with the opinions he currently epouses.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2007, 12:49:07 PM »

The fact that he is considered that shows how warped the political spectrum is seen by many in the United States.

Ehmmm.. how about no? With the exception of abortion, which I think was just oppurtunism on his part anyway that's utterly, utterly not true. Giuliani could never be elected in Ireland with the opinions he currently epouses.

We're talking about social issues. His fascist positions aren't really social issues.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007, 12:49:43 PM »

He views on abortion and stem cell research would place him in that nebulous category.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2007, 12:55:51 PM »

We're talking about social issues. His fascist positions aren't really social issues.

Yes and on Social issues (and how are "Education" and "Health" not social issues anyway? They are pretty much the biggest Social issues out there. Showing once again that The four-dotted plain\compass theory of politics is ridiculous.) Giuliani is pretty much to the right of any Irish politician I think of. Even McDowell as minister of Justice wasn't anyway near as Authoritian as Giuliani was in NYC for example.

But then again being tough on minor crimes issues ("Zero Tolerance") in Ireland would go down as well as referendum on a being dry country. You just have to understand the culture here.

Or crime not seen as a social issue anyway? Are Social issues only pet issues of the religious right (ie. Issues which relate to sex - or failing that - Death - though that is something Ireland does share with America, unfortunetly)?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2007, 01:10:35 PM »

Are Social issues only pet issues of the religious right (ie. Issues which relate to sex - or failing that - Death - though that is something Ireland does share with America, unfortunetly)?

That's how it's generally seen in the US, yes.

Health care and education are definitely NOT social issues though, lots of libertarians are socially liberal and hold very right wing positions on those, plus there are lots of socially conservative Democrats who are fairly liberal on them.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2007, 01:16:19 PM »

Are Social issues only pet issues of the religious right (ie. Issues which relate to sex - or failing that - Death - though that is something Ireland does share with America, unfortunetly)?

Health care and education are definitely NOT social issues though, lots of libertarians are socially liberal and hold very right wing positions on those, plus there are lots of socially conservative Democrats who are fairly liberal on them.

Yes, Yes I know what those privitized Authoritians (ie. "Libertarians") think but what does that have to do with Health and Education not being so-called "Social issues". What could possibly have a greater effect on society than Education? (And isn't the division of politics into "Economic" and "Social" issues totally arbitary, they much effect each other in extreme ways.)

It's posts like the above which are beginning to convince me that the Republicans have won the debate; and the rest is just semantic arguement about where the 'line' should be crossed.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2007, 05:30:49 PM »

Retardation is really spreading like a cancer on this forum.

Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2007, 05:33:08 PM »

Retardation is really spreading like a cancer on this forum.

Not really. Given how most of the republicans and conservatives left its been in retreat.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2007, 10:36:30 AM »

Yes, Yes I know what those privitized Authoritians (ie. "Libertarians") think but what does that have to do with Health and Education not being so-called "Social issues". What could possibly have a greater effect on society than Education? (And isn't the division of politics into "Economic" and "Social" issues totally arbitary, they much effect each other in extreme ways.)

It's posts like the above which are beginning to convince me that the Republicans have won the debate; and the rest is just semantic arguement about where the 'line' should be crossed.

You're taking the term too literally. Social issues have nothing to do with "affecting society". Health care and education are issues that involve government spending, so they're economic. Plus there's no reason why you'd expect someone who's pro-life to support cutting funding for them, or vice-versa, just on that basis.

Plus socially liberal people have libertarian positions on actual social issues, so if they were social issues then liberals would have authoritarian positions on them, which is hardly consistent.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2007, 10:42:46 AM »

We need to go back to a September 10th worldview.

Yes, because putting our hands over our ears and going "LALALALALALALALA" worked really well the first time.  The reason most Democrats want to go back to a "September 10th mindset" is because, even though the Republicans have botch the foriegn policy game, the Democrats don't even know which court to play on.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies