The Hill: NRCC expects surge in recruits
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:37:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Hill: NRCC expects surge in recruits
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Hill: NRCC expects surge in recruits  (Read 2201 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 27, 2007, 04:15:31 PM »

By Aaron Blake
September 27, 2007

The National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) is expecting a small wave of recruits in the coming weeks, including filling holes in several top targeted races.

The committee is expecting recruits to emerge soon against Reps. Michael Arcuri (D-N.Y.), John Barrow (D-Ga.), Baron Hill (D-Ind.), David Loebsack (D-Iowa) and Patrick Murphy (D-Pa.), who are all without major committee-recruited GOP challengers. All but Barrow are freshmen.

The NRCC is meeting with potential candidates against Murphy and Rep. Paul Hodes (D-N.H.), another freshman without a major opponent.

Meanwhile, Indiana Republicans have been anxiously awaiting word from former Rep. Mike Sodrel (R), who is rumored to be in for a fourth straight match-up with Hill. And Iraq veteran Wayne Mosley, an orthopedic surgeon, has been mentioned as a potential challenger to Barrow.

A recruiting surge would be a welcome development for the committee, which has in recent days seen a private argument between Chairman Tom Cole (Okla.) and House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) over its performance spill into public view.

“Much to the dismay of Democrats, another flurry of strong challengers are being recruited and joining an already stellar list of top-tier Republican candidates,” said NRCC spokesman Ken Spain. “This flurry of candidates that will be coming forward in the next few weeks only further proves our point that Republicans at the local level see an opportunity in taking on a very weak Democrat-led Congress.”

http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/nrcc-expects-surge-in-recruits-2007-09-27.html
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 04:18:35 PM »

I'm really scared now.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 06:36:23 PM »

By Aaron Blake
September 27, 2007

The National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) is expecting a small wave of recruits in the coming weeks, including filling holes in several top targeted races.

The committee is expecting recruits to emerge soon against Reps. Michael Arcuri (D-N.Y.), John Barrow (D-Ga.), Baron Hill (D-Ind.), David Loebsack (D-Iowa) and Patrick Murphy (D-Pa.), who are all without major committee-recruited GOP challengers. All but Barrow are freshmen.

The NRCC is meeting with potential candidates against Murphy and Rep. Paul Hodes (D-N.H.), another freshman without a major opponent.

Meanwhile, Indiana Republicans have been anxiously awaiting word from former Rep. Mike Sodrel (R), who is rumored to be in for a fourth straight match-up with Hill. And Iraq veteran Wayne Mosley, an orthopedic surgeon, has been mentioned as a potential challenger to Barrow.

A recruiting surge would be a welcome development for the committee, which has in recent days seen a private argument between Chairman Tom Cole (Okla.) and House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) over its performance spill into public view.

“Much to the dismay of Democrats, another flurry of strong challengers are being recruited and joining an already stellar list of top-tier Republican candidates,” said NRCC spokesman Ken Spain. “This flurry of candidates that will be coming forward in the next few weeks only further proves our point that Republicans at the local level see an opportunity in taking on a very weak Democrat-led Congress.”

http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/nrcc-expects-surge-in-recruits-2007-09-27.html

A lot of these seats are probably out of reach for the NRCC.  Who is going to beat Dave Loebasck in a district that went for John Kerry by 14 points?  Who is going to come close to Patrick Murphy other than possible Mike Fitzpatrick, who likely wont run again?  Same with Hodes and Acruri, unless they think that Ray Mayer, who lost in a landslide to Acruri would actually want to embarass himself again. 
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 06:37:43 PM »

I think the Rs will soon realize that PA-8 is now Murphy country.
Conan
conan

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 09:41:11 PM »

The only seat in PA the reps have a chance in getting back is the tenth district but Carney so far has no great challenger.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 10:17:06 PM »

That's a highly competitive district that the Republicans largely control downballot.  I'd be highly surprised if the GOP punts it.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 10:19:20 PM »

...and OJ Simpson expects a surge in public opinion. Good luck on both.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 01:11:31 AM »

In other recruitment news, the beleaguered GOP has yet to field any candidate for the supposedly competitive OH-15 open seat race.  All of the presumed top-tier candidates have turned down the chance to be routed by Kilroy.  The Columbus Dispatch just recently ran an article about this glaring problem in the GOP's effort to hold this seat.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 09:23:06 AM »

That's a highly competitive district that the Republicans largely control downballot.  I'd be highly surprised if the GOP punts it.

Still, this is a district that is rapidly trending away from Republicans.  As recently as the early 1990's, Republicans the Republicans had a more than two to one registration advantage and now registered Democrats are almost equal with registered Republicans in the district.  Presidential results also show the heavy Democratic trend here. 
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 11:33:22 AM »

A lot of these seats are probably out of reach for the NRCC.  Who is going to beat Dave Loebasck in a district that went for John Kerry by 14 points?  Who is going to come close to Patrick Murphy other than possible Mike Fitzpatrick, who likely wont run again?  Same with Hodes and Acruri, unless they think that Ray Mayer, who lost in a landslide to Acruri would actually want to embarass himself again. 

Mr. Moderate does speak a great deal of truth. 

**Do not take this post to mean, the GOP will win PA 08. The Odds are very much against them here in a presidential election year, unless Giuliani is the nominee**

Anyways, I can think of a few GOP contenders from Bucks County who, given the right conditions, could give Murphy a run for his money.  State Senator Tommy Tomlinson, State Rep Gene DiDiroamo (I probably botched the spelling of his name).  Both are fairly moderate, and come from lower bucks, which *could* eat into the strongest part of the county as far as Dems are concerned.

In theory, you also have Fitzpatrick, my hope and dream that Greenwood will return, and the extremely unlikely chance that popular former Governor Schweiker (also from Lower Bucks) could be avaliable. Of course, there's a snowball's chance in hell of those three running.

But as Mr. Moderate said, the GOP does have a pretty firm grip on the county down ballot, and some big names.

Whether thats enough to unseat Murphy, who as far as I can tell, hasn't done a damn thing wrong yet, (except be a democrat...and potentially, be from Bristol Township...which any Bucks Person not from that township tends to look down on)...only time can tell.

I'd say Murphy's a 3 to 2 favorite to hold on.  Better if the GOP nominee is a southern conservative...closer to to something like 6 to 5 if its Giuliani
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 11:36:03 AM »

...and OJ Simpson expects a surge in public opinion. Good luck on both.
In both cases, it almost appears there's no where to go but up...

Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 04:59:33 PM »

Mr. Moderate does speak a great deal of truth. 

**Do not take this post to mean, the GOP will win PA 08. The Odds are very much against them here in a presidential election year, unless Giuliani is the nominee**

Anyways, I can think of a few GOP contenders from Bucks County who, given the right conditions, could give Murphy a run for his money.  State Senator Tommy Tomlinson, State Rep Gene DiDiroamo (I probably botched the spelling of his name).  Both are fairly moderate, and come from lower bucks, which *could* eat into the strongest part of the county as far as Dems are concerned.

In theory, you also have Fitzpatrick, my hope and dream that Greenwood will return, and the extremely unlikely chance that popular former Governor Schweiker (also from Lower Bucks) could be avaliable. Of course, there's a snowball's chance in hell of those three running.

But as Mr. Moderate said, the GOP does have a pretty firm grip on the county down ballot, and some big names.

Whether thats enough to unseat Murphy, who as far as I can tell, hasn't done a damn thing wrong yet, (except be a democrat...and potentially, be from Bristol Township...which any Bucks Person not from that township tends to look down on)...only time can tell.

I'd say Murphy's a 3 to 2 favorite to hold on.  Better if the GOP nominee is a southern conservative...closer to to something like 6 to 5 if its Giuliani

If Giuliani wins PA-08, he almost certainly wins the whole state. 
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 05:12:50 PM »

If Giuliani wins PA-08, he almost certainly wins the whole state. 

Well, polling shows Hilldog/Rudy pretty much tied in the state.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 11:20:50 PM »

In other recruitment news, the beleaguered GOP has yet to field any candidate for the supposedly competitive OH-15 open seat race.  All of the presumed top-tier candidates have turned down the chance to be routed by Kilroy.  The Columbus Dispatch just recently ran an article about this glaring problem in the GOP's effort to hold this seat.

I mentioned this a while back. It's simply astounding that the Republican party can find one (!) candidate to run in a 50-50 open seat House race. This seat has been held by the GOP for eons, a fact that accentuates their pathetic inability to find a candidate is microcosmic of the Republican Party's current national problems.
CollectiveInterest

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 08:14:48 PM »

How's that surge coming?
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 10:40:35 PM »

lol, I was just thinking the same thing.  I'm still waiting to see who the Republican will be in my district.  In the meantime, the most exciting thing happening here is an effort to get the recent restrictions on strip clubs overturned.  I wonder how the forum's newest theocrat feel about that.  Roll Eyes
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 10:43:17 PM »

In the meantime, the most exciting thing happening here is an effort to get the recent restrictions on strip clubs overturned.

FREEDOM FIGHTING
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies