Teenagers and Stupidity
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:50:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Teenagers and Stupidity
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Teenagers and Stupidity  (Read 2936 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 27, 2007, 06:50:07 PM »

NOTE: First, I want to preface this by stating that I am not misogynic and do not want to offend any of the female posters on here; this is based purely on my observations. Also, remember that I live in Orange County, so I'm not sure if this trend is common in the rest of America.

Okay, so I happen to notice that a large number of girls my age over here don't seem to exactly be the sharpest pencil in the pack, if you know what I mean (not to say that the guys are any better Tongue). My friends and I (one of whom I managed to successfully convert to the Paul campaign Cheesy) were discussing this. They came to the conclusion that most of them aren't that stupid, and are probably just acting like that to be cool. Is this a common occurance elsewhere? What do you think?
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 07:16:26 PM »

There is this real trashy girl in my class and she's very dumb. This girl dosen't know what Morse Code is. Morse code, my 6 year old cousin even knows that and she's 15! She then got offended when me and this other girl in my class were laughing at her because she didn't know.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 07:19:25 PM »

In High School, I knew of many smart girls, who were in my AP Calc BC who would do stupid stuff, like TyPInG LiKe tHiS, and stuff. Just following the flow. I guess that's why I was a nerd.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 07:25:45 PM »

A girl in my class (in Riyadh) with a April 20 birthday told a history teacher her birthday and he answered "So was Hitler". She asked "who's Hitler?". She also thought Siberia=Kenya.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 07:32:42 PM »

Ok, you had me at Orange County. What else do you expect? Worst county ever.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 07:54:09 PM »

I don't think that female teens are any more or less stupid, on average, than male teens.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 08:00:19 PM »

However stupid some girls may be, they will never surpass the sheer ignorance and retardation present in jock types.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 08:31:22 PM »

I think a lot of men are stupid. Obviously stupid men prefer stupid women and vice versa, so maybe people believe that coming across as being stupid and normal is somehow advantageous. Hey, making pointless generalisations is fun!
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 08:39:58 PM »

A fine example of the long and proud tradition of anti-intellectualism in America.  Roll Eyes
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 09:56:06 PM »

Hmmm... not really.  But that's because teenagers here have to get jobs and earn their own money and not live life on Daddy's dollar...

*chewing gum obnoxiously and twirling my finger in my hair* But, like, OMG, like... it's not like, we're all, like.. stupid.. because, I mean, like, yeah.. I mean... we have to like, go to school n stuff, and like, that's pretty hard, right?

CultureKing
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 09:56:37 PM »

meanwhile the girls are scoring better on standardized tests and are going to college in much larger numbers than guys. I really don't think we need to worry as much for girls being disadvantaged in relation to guys in terms of education/intelligence.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 10:12:29 PM »

meanwhile the girls are scoring better on standardized tests and are going to college in much larger numbers than guys. I really don't think we need to worry as much for girls being disadvantaged in relation to guys in terms of education/intelligence.
'tis true. Girls composed 60-70% percent of my classes that could be considered "hard".
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 10:41:25 PM »

I think a lot of men are stupid. Obviously stupid men prefer stupid women and vice versa, so maybe people believe that coming across as being stupid and normal is somehow advantageous. Hey, making pointless generalisations is fun!

I suppose my perspective may be just because I am a smart guy. If I were a smart girl, I would probably be talking about how all the guys seem stupid.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 10:42:41 PM »

I suppose my perspective may be just because I am a smart guy. If I were a smart girl, I would probably be talking about how all the guys seem stupid.

You're also handsome and terribly modest.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 10:55:23 PM »

How'd you know? Tongue
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 01:19:45 AM »

I think many girls put on the stupid act because they think (and are often correct in doing so) that guys like to feel smarter than girls.  This is supported by the high test scores and college enrollment ratios mentioned earlier.

However, there are large portions of American teenagers that are just plain stupid regardless of sex.  For some of them its just a phase in which their common sense disappears for a few years.  For others its a case of chronic stupidity and they'll likely end up on Leno's Jaywalking segment in the near future.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 08:09:17 AM »

It's not that girls are more stupid than guys or anything like that. The real problem is that most people in general are stupid. 100 is the average IQ by definition, and half of all people are at or below that, so you're likely to run into a lot of people who are idiots until you start hitting certain filters. Go to a really tough college and you'll run into fewer idiots. Get a job with a company that tries to hire only smart people and you'll run into even fewer. You might just be noticing the girls being stupid because you're actually interested in girls - if you were interested in guys you'd probably notice lots of stupidity there too.

As far as personal stories in stupidity, my mother once was at the supermarket and went to their deli to get some dinner. She asked the 16-17 year old girl working behind the counter what the fish was. She responded "I think it's plankton."
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 10:11:08 AM »

hahaha . . . you silly kids.  Just wait till you have to deal with these folks as adults!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 11:18:26 AM »

As I type this, there's a radio program on about the recent phenomena of male teens lighting themselves on fire for fun.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 11:48:06 AM »

Bloody knuckles, anyone?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 12:00:16 PM »

Car surfing?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007, 12:07:21 PM »

Oh, SAVE YOUR BREATH TO COOL YOUR SOUP!!!
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2007, 07:17:00 PM »

You might just be noticing the girls being stupid because you're actually interested in girls - if you were interested in guys you'd probably notice lots of stupidity there too.

Yeah, I think that's the conclusion I've reached as well.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007, 07:21:55 PM »

You might just be noticing the girls being stupid because you're actually interested in girls - if you were interested in guys you'd probably notice lots of stupidity there too.

Yeah, I think that's the conclusion I've reached as well.

Maybe you should write a thesis about it!  Sounds interesting.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2007, 07:23:52 PM »

A fine example of the long and proud tradition of anti-intellectualism in America.  Roll Eyes

This thread yes.

So some girl doesn't know what Morse Code is? And that matters because.. (I'm not saying she isn't dumb but I'm more curious to the fact that you picked that as an example. It's just trivia. Though I can't imagine anyone, I mean, anyone who has managed to at least have had some contact with the outside world in the form of the media in the past ever not knowing who Hitler was.)

Of course I should go here into how Schooling and methods of rearing (Watching Television when your whenever, but especially young can be considered an education you know) are responisible for this mess. But I won't. Al is right, there is too much Elitism on this board: the parade of "OMG LOOK HOW SMARTZ I IS!11" in this thread is quite ridiculous actually. Though here I'd have to agree with Gabu, once again he states a truly scientific fact:

However stupid some girls may be, they will never surpass the sheer ignorance and retardation present in jock types.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies