Final Farewell Speech
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:43:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Final Farewell Speech
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Final Farewell Speech  (Read 4774 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2007, 06:30:01 PM »

N.B.Sad As a general tip for anybody else who ever feels like campaigning for my vote for anything by PM, I don't usually react to it the way you'd like.  Be warned.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2007, 07:28:17 PM »

Oh this is just rich. Very Amusing.

First off, it's okay to contact people via PM and ask them to come out and vote, and to vote for what you support, I'm fine with that and I've done that in several campaigns over the years. Telling people to go back and invalidate their votes because they didn't vote the way you wanted? Now that's pretty damn close to voter intimidation. We have a public voting system because a secret voting system was just too unwieldy to introduce and it took the fun out of live, real-time results for the election. We do not have them so people can go around soliciting voters to invalidate their votes because they didn't vote the right way. Some people have done this in the past, if they did consider that they had voted wrongly, however this is a personal, and quite controversial, choice and is not one that you should be openly encouraging people to do.

I didn't tell anybody - here's the PM:

"I urge all of you, if you have not already voted.  If you have voted, I ask that you think over your decision, and if you decide that you voted in a way that you now wish you had not, I ask that you edit your vote, and at least invalidate it, so that this amendment won't pass."

You weren't lobbying for a vote, you were lobbying for someone to commit an act which is technically illegal. I don't know about how the common law rules on conspiracy apply in the U.S. (and so by implication in Atlasia) so I can't say for sure whether or not your action could be construed as criminal/illegal in nature.

Technically, it's not illegal, it just invalidates your vote.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2007, 07:29:51 PM »

Voter intimidation.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2007, 08:19:34 PM »

Believe me, I'm far from intimidated by this kid.  Just tired of being hassled by people about a game I no longer have any interest in; people who feed me a load of BS and suggest I tamper with my vote on something I haven't even read, much less care about.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2007, 07:03:08 AM »

You weren't lobbying for a vote, you were lobbying for someone to commit an act which is technically illegal. I don't know about how the common law rules on conspiracy apply in the U.S. (and so by implication in Atlasia) so I can't say for sure whether or not your action could be construed as criminal/illegal in nature.

If the act of editting one's ballot isn't illegal, then how do you usually describe actions which are disallowed by law and carry a sanction or penalty?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2007, 03:12:26 PM »

If the act of editting one's ballot isn't illegal, then how do you usually describe actions which are disallowed by law and carry a sanction or penalty?

In America, if somebody votes for Al Gore and George Bush, they're vote is invalidated, but it's not illegal.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2007, 03:29:30 PM »

In America, if somebody votes for Al Gore and George Bush, they're vote is invalidated, but it's not illegal.

This isn't America, but whatever, dude.  Just learn to accept your hypocrisy for whining about Al's shenanigans and then encouraging people to do the same thing.  (One of those people being Al himself, hilariously enough.)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2007, 03:30:52 PM »

This isn't America, but whatever, dude.  Just learn to accept your hypocrisy for whining about Al's shenanigans and then encouraging people to do the same thing.  (One of those people being Al himself, hilariously enough.)

It'd different with Al - I never encouraged anybody to avoid getting caught.  In fact, I'd have invalidated anybody's vote if they deleted it and switched to NAY.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2007, 11:01:31 PM »

Bad analogy. It's actually more like someone voting on election day, and then they decide later in they day to change their vote, so they go and take it out of the ballot box and put a new one in.

Which definately is a crime, by the way.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2007, 11:05:52 PM »

Bad analogy. It's actually more like someone voting on election day, and then they decide later in they day to change their vote, so they go and take it out of the ballot box and put a new one in.

No - I'm just asking that they take it out of the ballot.  What Al did was put a new one in.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2007, 11:23:26 PM »

No - I'm just asking that they take it out of the ballot.  What Al did was put a new one in.

Okay, well still. It's like going in to the ballot box and taking yours out.

Which is still a federal crime.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2007, 03:33:39 AM »

(One of those people being Al himself, hilariously enough.)

I'll admit that I laughed on seeing his PM. I'll also admit that I find there to be something darkly comical in his attempts to claim that a minor act of civil disobedience is somehow "worse" than something that looks suspiciously like a ham-fisted attempt to intimidate the electorate...

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Must I point out, again, that I did no such thing? Various things that I posted while being "quite" pissed off were later deleted by me because they contained things in them that were rude and abusive?
I had hoped that this had all been cleared up, but apparently not.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I would also like to point out that I did not change the meaning of any vote that I cast during the recent Mideast elections.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2007, 03:38:24 AM »

Btw, Inks... I recommend that you follow Healey's law of holes.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies