Burmaese protestors burned alive
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:26:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Burmaese protestors burned alive
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Burmaese protestors burned alive  (Read 865 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2007, 02:33:00 AM »

If the President of the United States wasn't a lunatic who got us bogged down in Iraq, I'd say we should attack Burma to take down their government.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/9/30/1159/29124
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 03:37:22 AM »

Has Bush said anything about this yet? Or the Congress? Maybe in between condemning free speech and authorizing warrantless wire-taps they could, at the very least, say something?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 03:56:50 AM »

Sadly for the people or Burma/Myanmar/whatever the hell you want to call it, their country is of no strategic importance for the US. Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 04:03:34 AM »

Bush has certainly commented on the situation in Burma. Not that it's much to his credit, after all, it would only be news if he hadn't.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 04:23:26 AM »

If the President of the United States wasn't a lunatic who got us bogged down in Iraq, I'd say we should attack Burma to take down their government.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/9/30/1159/29124

Because attacking a government allied with the Chinese wouldn't start WW III at all.  Roll Eyes  Do you DailyKos people even attempt rational thought before spewing out nonsense?  Even if we weren't in Iraq I highly doubt this country would have the political will to invade a Southeast Asian nation with which we had no previous strong ties for the sole purpose of spreading democracy.  Sound like any major foreign policy mistake we've made before?  Bush may have been able to pull the wool over the country's eyes on Iraq but I highly doubt he'd be able to convince anyone that a virtual replay of the Vietnam War was a good idea.  Plus as I mentioned earlier, its best not to go around bombing the allies of a nation with the largest army in the world unless you absolutely have to.

Now before you go jumping down my throat please know that I'm not trying to excuse the horrendous human rights violations currently going on in Burma.  It's a terrible situation and I don't condone the government's actions in any way.  However, as demonstrated by the current mess we're in, you can't just go around the world playing the freedom fighter without any regard for the reaction your actions might provoke in neighboring countries.  Its bad foreign policy.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 04:38:45 AM »

The US government doesn't care about 'human rights' in Burma.. and anyway, Burma is not so bad - it is certainly less bad than many regimes the US wholeheartedly supports, such as Saudi Arabia.

The imperial policy of 'containment' for Burma - trade sanctions, etc. - is suspect, since 'engagement' always works better.  Why does the West choose to isolate Burma and North Korea?  It is just a way to contain China, the primary potential competitor for hegemony.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies