Laws Passed by Previous Senate Sessions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:32:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Laws Passed by Previous Senate Sessions
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Laws Passed by Previous Senate Sessions  (Read 1053 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2007, 01:20:18 PM »
« edited: September 30, 2007, 01:23:43 PM by Frodo »

Can someone give an update on how effective laws passed by previous Senates have been?  Or whether they have had unintended consequences?  I have been looking over all the past statutes since the First Senate, and to this day there has been no accounting on how successful they have been in accomplishing whatever it is the Senate intended for them to accomplish.  In the real world, the media has gone back over passed laws like the No Child Left Behind Act, or the 1996 Welfare Reform Act to assess how successful they have been in accomplishing their goals.  I have not seen this of late here in Atlasia. 
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 10:40:29 PM »

They've all worked completely as intended, except for the ones I want to repeal. Smiley
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 10:52:19 PM »

It'd be great if we could have someone (neutrally) decide on this. I had hoped we could get some information about how effective government-funded embryonic stem cell research has been before allocating more funds, but no one seems able to give it.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 04:53:52 PM »

It'd be great if we could have someone (neutrally) decide on this.

Do you have any suggestions? 
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 05:34:14 PM »

Well, I've considered the possibility of proposing an amendment creating a "Secretary of Domestic Affairs" (distinct from the SoFA) who would report on the success or failure of laws passed by the Senate, but I'm not sure how we could hope to have that person be impartial. Unlike positions such as SoFA, where partisanship is irrelevant, or AG or SCJ, where some level of political influence is expected, if not desirable, this position would need to be completely aloof from the politics of any and all issues.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 06:23:16 PM »

Well, I've considered the possibility of proposing an amendment creating a "Secretary of Domestic Affairs" (distinct from the SoFA) who would report on the success or failure of laws passed by the Senate, but I'm not sure how we could hope to have that person be impartial. Unlike positions such as SoFA, where partisanship is irrelevant, or AG or SCJ, where some level of political influence is expected, if not desirable, this position would need to be completely aloof from the politics of any and all issues.
maybe the senate can agree on someone unanimously.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 06:26:42 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2007, 06:36:54 PM by Verily »

Perhaps. I worry that the Senate would deadlock on anyone with a Political Matrix score not within 1 point each of 0. Nor does being politically "moderate", "centrist" or "balanced" actually reduce bias in regards to political issues, the bias will simply be towards the status quo rather than towards leftism or rightism, or liberalism or authoritarianism.

What we need is someone with an extensive knowledge of policy but who does not actually have any political positions or at least lacks a great degree of zeal about their positions. Hard to find on a forum about politics, of course. I'd like to have a few candidates in mind before proposing it formally.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 06:28:14 PM »

Comedy Goldmine!
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 07:32:24 PM »

Comedy Goldmine!
and postpone the stream of gems from the Gporter campaign?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 09:42:10 PM »

Umm... you guys do realize there is the position of "Game Moderator", right?  Except that the position has hardly been filled because no one wants to do it.

Or did we abolish that or something? (honestly, I don't know Tongue)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 09:45:21 PM »

Umm... you guys do realize there is the position of "Game Moderator", right?  Except that the position has hardly been filled because no one wants to do it.

The position of Game Moderator was abolished in September of 2006, although at the time it was filled, not by an individual, but a news organization.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 09:50:43 PM »

The position of Game Moderator was abolished in September of 2006, although at the time it was filled, not by an individual, but a news organization.
The wiki article on it isn't very positive...
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 06:44:27 AM »

The wiki article on it isn't very positive...

The last appointed GM was Al.
During his tenure, Al announced that he would no longer act as GM and instead put forward the idea of a 'media regulator'. As far as I'm aware, nobody has stepped forward to seek this role. Nobody since has acted as either GM nor media regulator.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 10:09:27 AM »

During his tenure, Al announced that he would no longer act as GM

Not just me, but no one. The position is as dead and finished as anything in the game can be.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Not just an idea; the position exists and has a clear set of powers associated with it.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 11:28:21 AM »

What we need is someone with an extensive knowledge of policy but who does not actually have any political positions or at least lacks a great degree of zeal about their positions.

Joe Republic?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies