My first attempt at a Proposition for the Mideast
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:26:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  My first attempt at a Proposition for the Mideast
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My first attempt at a Proposition for the Mideast  (Read 608 times)
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2007, 08:19:49 AM »

Expanded Religious Freedoms Act

1. All citizens of the Mideast may engage in any religous practice that they desire, so long as it does not involve cruelty or any other sort of harm to people outside of the religion.
2. Included in this are such practices as peyote use, snake handling, and polygamy(so long as it can be afforded by the polygamous partners)
3. All forms of worship are included, whether they be as a church rite, birth ceremony, or death ceremony.
4. Laws which affect those outside of the religion as well as any that are directly desired to harm those within are still outlawed(ex:Human sacrifices)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 08:49:20 AM »

No, some parts go against the secularism statute. And for heaven, polygamy is an archaic practice. Allowing it would be returning to 1400.

If ends up on the ballot, I can guarantee voting against.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 09:27:28 AM »

No, some parts go against the secularism statute. And for heaven, polygamy is an archaic practice. Allowing it would be returning to 1400.

If ends up on the ballot, I can guarantee voting against.

How does this hurt secularim?  It allows for less government control on religion.  Just because we believe polygamy is an archaic practice does'nt mean we can disallow it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 11:31:24 AM »

I'd like an initiative to bring back the death penalty.  I'll have it written in time for the next proposition voting.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 11:34:28 AM »

I'd like an initiative to bring back the death penalty.  I'll have it written in time for the next proposition voting.

I can already guarentee that if it reaches my desk, I will veto it.  I am firmly againest the death penalty.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 11:41:42 AM »

I can already guarentee that if it reaches my desk, I will veto it.  I am firmly againest the death penalty.

It's an "initiative."  Direct, people-based democracy.  The Governor can't veto an I&R item.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 11:42:19 AM »

Well, considering that I doubt it'll get a 2/3 majority, I won't bother writing it.

What do people think about repealing Clauses 1 & 2 of the First Amendment?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 11:43:06 AM »

It's an "initiative."  Direct, people-based democracy.  The Governor can't veto an I&R item.

He can if it passes <2/3 majority (Article III, Section 2, Clause 2).
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 11:49:45 AM »

If by polygamy you mean polygamous marriage, then I must inform you that marriage (and civil unions) is controlled at the federal level to negate problems in comity. Any attempt to alter this from the Regional level would presently be unconstitutional.

I also question whether there is an undesirable side effect to your proposal - the children of members will usually be also members of a religion themselves - allowing them to be involved in such things as snake handling just because it is their parents religion seems risque to say the least.

Your last operative clause needs punctuation as presently it could be legally ambiguous.

The Governor retains the right to veto an initiative proposed by the People should it gain less than 2/3ds of the vote in favour.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies