ATTN: MAS and Rockefeller Republican
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:27:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  ATTN: MAS and Rockefeller Republican
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ATTN: MAS and Rockefeller Republican  (Read 1674 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2007, 05:56:08 PM »

The Recall Amendment did not pass. Please read the constitution for the proper amending formula. I told you (Rocky) via a PM to check the constitution before hand to make sure, and obviously you didn't.  If this isn't resolved, I'm going to open a court case.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 06:24:11 PM »

Here's the problem

ARTICLE VIII - AMENDING FORMULA

This constitution may be changed, altered, modified or amended if all of the following methods are met:

i) A successful vote of two thirds of voting (either in the affirmative or in the negative) members Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region.

Check. 9 of 12 is 3 quarters which is more than 2 thirds.

ii) A successful vote of majority of all members of the Legislative Assembly, voting, abstaining and absent members combined.

Here's the problem. Nine is not more than half of citizenry of the region. I'm not sure how many citizens there are in the region, but I'm pretty sure it is more than 18, considering there were 17 citizens invited to the Progressive Primary from the region.

MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 06:36:17 PM »

He did check in with this. I did not realize it was a constitutional amendment. I don't even believe it has to be. While the title may be the recall amendment, the actual bill itself says something of amending the constitution.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 06:38:40 PM »

What the hell does this even mean? This makes no sense.

i) A successful vote of two thirds of voting (either in the affirmative or in the negative) members Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region.

ii) A successful vote of majority of all members of the Legislative Assembly, voting, abstaining and absent members combined.

You wrote that there has to be a successful vote of 2/3 of the members, but then it has be a successful vote of the majority of members? What the hell?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 07:14:05 PM »

He did check in with this. I did not realize it was a constitutional amendment. I don't even believe it has to be. While the title may be the recall amendment, the actual bill itself says something of amending the constitution.

I thought it was an amendment. However, this bill may still be unconstitutional.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 07:44:12 PM »

I thought it was an amendment. However, this bill may still be unconstitutional.

Why is it unconsitutional?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 07:59:33 PM »

You wrote that there has to be a successful vote of 2/3 of the members, but then it has be a successful vote of the majority of members? What the hell?

I get the impression that "majority of all members" simply means that more than half of the Northeast has to vote, not that more than half of the Northeast has to vote in favor.

In any case, it does have to be an amendment as it involves constitutional offices.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 08:55:27 PM »

Part (i) says that 2/3 of those who cast a ballot must cast an aye vote for the amendment to pass.

Part (ii) says that 1/2 of those who are registered voters in the Northeast must vote aye for the amendment to pass, as "absent members" seems to reference those who may vote but otherwise do not.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 11:07:51 PM »

Part (i) says that 2/3 of those who cast a ballot must cast an aye vote for the amendment to pass.

Part (ii) says that 1/2 of those who are registered voters in the Northeast must vote aye for the amendment to pass, as "absent members" seems to reference those who may vote but otherwise do not.

Absent members refers to people who don't vote at all.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 02:07:26 AM »

I did receive the Personal Message from Senator Earl Washburn last Wednesday afternoon. I did read over the PM the likewise with the Northeast Constitution. I did have concerns about it and I contacted Governor MAS.

I have noticed that with other legislation that has passed in the Northeast, that as little as 9 people have voted on proposed legislation, it passed with no problems at all. However if this is a problem to citizens of the Northeast, I shall resign the Lieutenant Governorship.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 02:47:37 AM »

Governor, consult with whoever wrote the constitution (at least Article VIII clauses 1 and 2) to figure out what that means - the 2 seemed contradictory to me.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 02:48:17 AM »

However if this is a problem to citizens of the Northeast, I shall resign the Lieutenant Governorship.

No need for that.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 09:47:07 AM »

Governor, consult with whoever wrote the constitution (at least Article VIII clauses 1 and 2) to figure out what that means - the 2 seemed contradictory to me.

LOL EARL IS THE ONE WHO WROTE IT!
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 09:47:41 AM »

I did receive the Personal Message from Senator Earl Washburn last Wednesday afternoon. I did read over the PM the likewise with the Northeast Constitution. I did have concerns about it and I contacted Governor MAS.

I have noticed that with other legislation that has passed in the Northeast, that as little as 9 people have voted on proposed legislation, it passed with no problems at all. However if this is a problem to citizens of the Northeast, I shall resign the Lieutenant Governorship.

Calm down, no one is resigning this isn't really a big deal and will be resolved.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 09:58:39 AM »

Yes, but it's different for amendments.

For precedent, we had another constitutional amendment fail a few years ago which failed to get a majority of Northeasterns to vote in the affirmative.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 02:20:54 PM »

Just an FYI, this legislation continues to stay passed as a bill and not an amendment.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 10:46:09 PM »

Which is exactly what I said.  Smiley
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 11:21:15 PM »

Which is exactly what I said.  Smiley

Oh, I see now... sorry.

Well, I do feel this is probably unconstitutional.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 12:10:40 AM »

I think that part of the Northeast Constitution needs to be fixed up. It's quite contradictory. I believe it needs to be changed, so in the future none of this would happen again. So hopefully in October either myself or any other citizen in the NE will propose an amendment to fix Article VIII - Amending Formula.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 03:38:32 PM »

I think that part of the Northeast Constitution needs to be fixed up. It's quite contradictory. I believe it needs to be changed, so in the future none of this would happen again. So hopefully in October either myself or any other citizen in the NE will propose an amendment to fix Article VIII - Amending Formula.

Good luck amending the amendment formula. Smiley I would support making it more clear, but I would not support changing the actual formulas.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2007, 05:32:20 PM »

If no one is going to challenge the bill it will remain law as is.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 02:40:30 PM »

I wish to challenge it. It is unconstitutional as impeachment must be set at 2/3 of the assembly rather than 50% as stated in article 4 section 9 of the constitution.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies