American College Students Overwhelmed by Debt
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:43:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  American College Students Overwhelmed by Debt
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: American College Students Overwhelmed by Debt  (Read 3493 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007, 07:57:44 PM »

I looked this up.  Tuition at MSU is charged per credit hour - $1,031.00 per hour.

Since students need 88 credits to graduate, this comes to being roughly $15,465.00 per semester, or a little over $31,000 per year, after you add in fees etc.

Considering her tuition was probably lower, I'd say she has about $90,000 in debt from law school.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »

I looked this up.  Tuition at MSU is charged per credit hour - $1,031.00 per hour.

Since students need 88 credits to graduate, this comes to being roughly $15,465.00 per semester, or a little over $31,000 per year, after you add in fees etc.

Considering her tuition was probably lower, I'd say she has about $90,000 in debt from law school.

not factoring in room/rent and board/food?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2007, 10:31:34 PM »

Wow.  That's way too expensive.  I'll go to a private school for that price and get a better education, thank you very much.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007, 07:11:57 AM »

not factoring in room/rent and board/food?

Yes, but I thought the article said that her parents paid for her living expenses (and those sound like living expenses to me.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2007, 11:18:26 AM »

Wow.  That's way too expensive.  I'll go to a private school for that price and get a better education, thank you very much.

And I'll go to a public school way cheaper than that.

88 credits to graduate though? It's 128 here.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2007, 12:29:05 AM »

I hope that is out of state tuition?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2007, 08:14:39 AM »

And I'll go to a public school way cheaper than that.

88 credits to graduate though? It's 128 here.

This is law school, not Mankato High, or wherever you attend.  You graduate in 3 years, instead of 4 (or likely 7 in your case).
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2007, 08:16:01 AM »

I don't know of any law school that offers in-state vs. out-of-state tuition.  For example, UofH doesn't and I'm 99% sure UT doesn't.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2007, 11:34:09 AM »

I don't know of any law school that offers in-state vs. out-of-state tuition.  For example, UofH doesn't and I'm 99% sure UT doesn't.
Just to give that one exception...Temple University...like 30k out of state, 11k instate...i think its designed to inflate its applicant pool.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2007, 11:42:43 AM »

Why wouldn't 'public' law schools offer in-state tuition?  They are directly created and supported by the state government.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2007, 12:20:20 PM »

This thread makes me glad of the Irish system.

Though It was very hard to resist the temptation to smash the computer screen when Sam Spade went "Something useless like English or Philosophy".
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2007, 12:24:44 PM »

Though It was very hard to resist the temptation to smash the computer screen when Sam Spade went "Something useless like English or Philosophy".

He's talking about the training of servants, not subjects which may enrich the life of a gentleman, GF.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2007, 01:13:57 PM »

He has a thing for elevating himself by putting others down, especially in this thread.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2007, 03:05:02 PM »

http://www.law.uh.edu/financialaid/COE%20estimate.html

18K for Texans, 24K for foreign students.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2007, 03:54:44 PM »

I didn't go to law school but when I started engineering school at the University of Michigan in 1967 the tuition was $180 per term for a full course, (15 credits or more). By the time I graduated in 1971 it was up to $330 per term. It seemed like a a lot then but it sounds dirt cheap today.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2007, 05:09:56 PM »

I may occasionally be an asshole, but my response is merely meant to point out that I wish you good luck in trying to find any decent job with simply an English or Philosophy undergraduate degree.  I personally have a similar type of degree to those mentioned from an excellent university attended by another poster here, and that was the case for me as well.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2007, 05:17:46 PM »

I may occasionally be an asshole, but my response is merely meant to point out that I wish you good luck in trying to find any decent job with simply an English or Philosophy undergraduate degree.  I personally have a similar type of degree to those mentioned from an excellent university attended by another poster here, and that was the case for me as well.

Oh fair enough. (Though for some people Secondary teaching would certainly be a "decent job" not for me though.) May I ask what your degree was in and what college exactly? Admittely as someone who is currently an undergraduate I'm not aware of how things work in Ireland in regards to employment vis a vis certain types of degrees (I intend to do a postgrad anyway.)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2007, 05:23:39 PM »

I think I said before on this site:  Music Composition. 

Fortunately, I got the liberal arts education with the music, something people who attend conservatories often lack.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2007, 05:47:06 PM »

Fortunately, I got the liberal arts education with the music, something people who attend conservatories often lack.

But I thought you were just the sort of landed gentleman for whom the 'liberal arts' education was intended, SS?  You should not turn your hand to toil, man!
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2007, 07:09:38 PM »

Hmm. Interesting.  At what point did you decide on Law School, and why music comp?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2007, 07:14:13 PM »

Hmm. Interesting.  At what point did you decide on Law School, and why music comp?

Music comp is the shyte! You learn about chord progressions, counterpoint, instrumentation formal structure ... you can analyze a single Britney Spears song in minutes, and can impress your friends by naming all three chords in 1980s-type Three Chord Trash.

Who wouldn't want to know that?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2007, 10:25:59 PM »

Music comp is the shyte! You learn about chord progressions, counterpoint, instrumentation formal structure ... you can analyze a single Britney Spears song in minutes, and can impress your friends by naming all three chords in 1980s-type Three Chord Trash.

Who wouldn't want to know that?

Well, I imagine that I could find better ways of spending my time than the three minutes it takes to analyze a Britney Spears song, or a song from some band BRTD likes...  Tongue

Bullmoose:  I had a fairly extensive music training that started when I was 5, but blossomed during high school.  Writing music was what I enjoyed by far.

The move to law school is a story that I've repeated so many times on job interviews, I'm not even very sure half of it is true anymore.  Needless to say, it happened and I'll leave it at that.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2007, 10:30:31 PM »

I'm willing to be not a single member of any band I listen to has a degree in Music Composition.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2007, 10:33:26 PM »

I'm willing to be not a single member of any band I listen to has a degree in Music Composition.

I'm willing to be[t] not a single member of any band you listen to managed to get out of the 5th grade.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2007, 03:58:18 AM »

I'm willing to be[t] not a single member of any band you listen to managed to get out of the 5th grade.

haha, that's just silly.  Anyway I'm disappointed about your career choice, SS, as it is so conforming, but I have to admit it suits you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies