Barry Goldwater: HP or FF?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 09:01:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Barry Goldwater: HP or FF?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Barry Goldwater: HP or FF?
Horrible Person

Freedom Fighter

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Barry Goldwater: HP or FF?  (Read 2224 times)
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 02, 2007, 01:39:26 AM »

Barry Goldwater is he a Horrible Person or a Freedom Fighter? Discuss.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 02:04:54 AM »

Both
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 03:15:25 AM »

I would have to agree with phknrocket1k. Barry Goldwater was a Horrible Person for destroying the Republican Party and helping the Right-Wing dominate the party for many years to come, mainly after 1976.

However in the minds of right-wingers, Au H20 helped the Right-Wing to take control of the Republican Party and give right-wing extremists a voice not an echo.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 04:44:59 AM »

He became a voice of reason on many issues in his later service in the Senate, though in 1964 he was simply repulsive.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 06:41:35 AM »

Both.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 09:36:49 AM »

HP but probably didn't understand what he was doing.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 12:29:07 PM »

HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 01:23:59 PM »

Anybody THAT conservative is an HP.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 02:24:56 PM »

Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 06:43:39 PM »

He became a voice of reason on many issues in his later service in the Senate, though in 1964 he was simply repulsive.

There was a point I forgot to mention when I created this thread yesterday. Goldwater became more libertarian in the 1980's and became highly critical of the Reagan Administration. In 1994 (I think), Goldwater publically endorsed a congressional Democratic candidate who was running against a christian-right-wing-extremist.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 06:50:32 PM »

One of my political idols and a FF, though I think he still was a little too hawkish for my tastes in 1964.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 06:59:32 PM »

I would have to agree with phknrocket1k. Barry Goldwater was a Horrible Person for destroying the Republican Party and helping the Right-Wing dominate the party for many years to come, mainly after 1976.

However in the minds of right-wingers, Au H20 helped the Right-Wing to take control of the Republican Party and give right-wing extremists a voice not an echo.

how did he destroy the party? Rockeffer's are traitors and have no place in the party.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 09:10:33 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2007, 09:18:37 PM by Bizarre Love Triangle »

how did he destroy the party? Rockeffer's are traitors and have no place in the party.
No. The Rockefeller Republicans were a perfectly legitimate wing of the party until the crazies chased them out. Nowadays if you're not a fundie, neo-con or have a problem with cutting taxes before spending you're not welcome in the GOP. That's why so many New England (and non-Southern/Midwest) Republicans are ditching the party. It's also part of the reason I have a red avatar here.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 09:15:09 PM »

I certainly respect him, and he became much better in his later life. However, his legacy eventually turned the Republican party into a theo-fascist corporate party. Then again, if he was alive today, I seriously doubt he'd be a Republican.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 12:40:14 AM »

No. The Rockefeller Republicans were a perfectly legitimate wing of the party until the crazies chased them out. Nowadays if you're not a fundie, neo-con or have a problem with cutting taxes before spending you're not welcome in the GOP. That's why so many New England (and non-Southern/Midwest) Republicans are ditching the party. It's also part of the reason I have a red avatar here.

The Bush's are Rockeffer cronies.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 01:01:32 AM »

Massive FF.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 01:08:29 AM »

The Bush's are Rockeffer cronies.

I wouldn't say George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush would be Rockefeller cronies. In 1964 when Bush I ran for the Senate, he ran on a Goldwater platform, dennouncing the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty and the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Bush I's policies in the 1964 Texas Senatorial campaign angered his father Prescott, who as we all know, was a leading figure in the Country Club Republicans.

After his loss to Ralph Yarlbrough in '64, Bush I became more moderate and the rest is history. As we know, Bush I only got conservative support in the 1988 Republican Nomination because of President Ronald Wilson Reagan.

Even before Bush I embarked on a political career, Bush got Bush II to read Goldwater's book The Conscience of a Conservative. Since Bush II has read the book he has been a conservative for the rest of his life.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies