NM: Sen. Pete Domenici (R) to Retire Next Year (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:48:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NM: Sen. Pete Domenici (R) to Retire Next Year (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NM: Sen. Pete Domenici (R) to Retire Next Year  (Read 7893 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: October 03, 2007, 05:10:44 PM »

Hasnt Richardson been encouraging Chavez to run?

If Heather Wilson goes for the Senate seat, Chavez may decide her House seat is a safer bet, which would open the door for Richardson to move into the Senate race after the early primaries.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 05:55:31 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2007, 05:57:46 PM by Verily »

New Mexico, on the other hand, is a lot like New England in the sense that they only vote GOP because of popular incumbents.  Once the incumbet retires, the Democrats gain the seat.

That's not true at all. New Mexico is split almost exactly down the middle partisan wise.

Rep. Joe Skeen (R) retired in 2002; replaced by Pearce (R)
Rep. Steve Schiff (R) died in 1998; replaced by Wilson (R)

At the state level, at least, the Democrats are overwhelmingly dominant. Veto-proof majority in the House, with approximately the same ratios as California.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 06:17:51 PM »

At the state level, at least, the Democrats are overwhelmingly dominant. Veto-proof majority in the House, with approximately the same ratios as California.

That would be relevant if not for the 17th amendment.

My point is that the Democrats have a much deeper bench than the Republicans in New Mexico, so they're much more able to provide good candidates for multiple races at once than the Republicans.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 11:33:16 PM »

Great Opportunity for the Democrats Smiley

BTW: Do you Americans pronounce Chavez as "Shuh-Vess" or "Chaves" (like caves) ... ?

As in Spanish. SHAH-vez. (Well, depending on the accent, some Spanish speakers would say "CHAH-vez".) Americans generally know how to pronounce common Spanish words and names.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 09:35:25 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2007, 09:37:12 PM by Verily »

BTW: Do you Americans pronounce Chavez as "Shuh-Vess" or "Chaves" (like caves) ... ?

As in Spanish. SHAH-vez. (Well, depending on the accent, some Spanish speakers would say "CHAH-vez".) Americans generally know how to pronounce common Spanish words and names.

Almost all Spanish speakers would say "CHAH-vays" (the s at the end is pronounced like an s), with the possible exception of Castilians who might use "CHAH-vayth".  So we pronounce it incorrectly, as usual Tongue

"Vayz"? Definitely not.

tSAY-zar tCHAH-vez.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 04:19:26 PM »

Almost all Spanish speakers would say "CHAH-vays" (the s at the end is pronounced like an s), with the possible exception of Castilians who might use "CHAH-vayth".  So we pronounce it incorrectly, as usual Tongue

"Vayz"? Definitely not.

tSAY-zar tCHAH-vez.

tsay?  Now you're speaking nonsense, though English orthography is convoluted enough that we might be saying the same thing but in a different way Tongue.  IPA is: /sesaɾ ʧaβ̞es/

z is always pronounced like an s in Spanish, except in a few dialects.  e is always pronounced (not quite) like the "a" in "table".

In English, though, poor Cesar Chavez becomes /sizɚ ʃɑvɛz/, which isn't close at all.

(sorry if your computer doesn't properly format any of these; I can switch to X-SAMPA if you'd like)

The little t I added to the beginning is the slight "click" at the opening of Spanish words beginning with s-sounds. It was the best approximation I could come up.

It is never sizɚ, I don't know where you're getting that from. The worst English pronunciation would be Say-zer (or maybe Sez-er for someone who had no idea what they were doing).
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 06:02:28 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2007, 06:04:10 PM by Verily »

"Vayz"? Definitely not.

tSAY-zar tCHAH-vez.

tsay?  Now you're speaking nonsense, though English orthography is convoluted enough that we might be saying the same thing but in a different way Tongue.  IPA is: /sesaɾ ʧaβ̞es/

z is always pronounced like an s in Spanish, except in a few dialects.  e is always pronounced (not quite) like the "a" in "table".

In English, though, poor Cesar Chavez becomes /sizɚ ʃɑvɛz/, which isn't close at all.

(sorry if your computer doesn't properly format any of these; I can switch to X-SAMPA if you'd like)

The little t I added to the beginning is the slight "click" at the opening of Spanish words beginning with s-sounds. It was the best approximation I could come up.

It is never sizɚ, I don't know where you're getting that from. The worst English pronunciation would be Say-zer (or maybe Sez-er for someone who had no idea what they were doing).

I'd think the average American would conflate "Cesar" with "Caesar" and then choose to massacre "Cesar" just like we butcher "Caesar" Tongue

If they're getting "Cesar" confused with "Caesar", they'll also get "Caesar" wrong. I would not expect the average American to have that problem. (In any case, Americans pronounce "Caesar" incorrectly, too; it's Kay-sahr in Latin.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies