A rant about driving
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:31:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  A rant about driving
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A rant about driving  (Read 2613 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2007, 02:14:06 PM »

Okay, so I have a problem with road rage.  I don't get really nasty, I just get easily annoyed if I'm in a rush.  And I think most people would/do.

But the other day was particularly bad.

I was trying to get to the grocery store before noon so I could fax in my time card since the company I work for is based in Minneapolis.  It was only 11am, but still, you never know what can happen in the wires between here and the Cities.

I pulled out onto the road near my house, and was right behind a sweet old woman driving what looked to be a 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass (there are a lot of these combos around here), who thought that 20mph was just a little too fast for her frail driving mindset.  Luckily, she turned right and I turned left at the next intersection.  But I got stuck behind a middle aged man driving a violet/bluish VW Bug (the newer model), who thought 40 in a 55 was fine and 25 in a 30 was fine.  Well, I couldn't pass because traffic from the other way was heavy.

Finally, he turned right, and I had to turn left... except I had to wait for a massive cement truck to pass.  Well, he was going quite slow and I had to follow him up the onramp onto the highway and he was going about 35mph when he merged onto the road and the speed limit is 65mph.  So, I finally passed him, and got off the highway and waited to make a right turn behind a Canadian that would NOT turn right on red.  To make matters worse, a police car drove by with his lights on, forcing all the lights to turn red.  When the light finally turned green because someone pulled up into the traffic lanes to go straight, I followed the Canadian as they confusedly made several unnecessary lane changes without signaling before turning off at the first intersection, to go to Target.

Then I thought.. okay, only like 5 blocks to the grocery store, how bad can it get?  This is when a person decided to make a lefthand turn and used the center turning lane, like one shoudl, but only half way, so in order to pass, I'd have to switch into the right lane, except there was a lot of traffic in that lane, so I had to wait while a constant string of oncoming traffic cleared up so the lady in the white Caravan could make her turn.  Then I got stopped at both traffic lights, and when I wanted to move into the center turning lane to turn into the grocery store, I couldn't because a lady was using the center turning lane (illegally, mind you) to make a left hand turn out of McDonalds and onto the road, but since traffic was heavy, she moved into the turning land and crept down it so that when a spot opened up, she could merge into traffic.. of course... right where I needed to turn in.  So I was left in this dilemma of "do I just drive ahead and go in the back way?"  OR "do I annoy everyone else like they annoy me and slow way down and wait for this lady to move into the road so I can make my turn even though I'M RIGHT AND SHE'S WRONG!!!!!!???"

CAN'T PEOPLE JUST F**KING REALIZE THAT THE WORLD REVOLVES AROUND ME!!?!?!!?  I MEAN, COME ON!!!!  Learn how to drive properly and I won't post these stupid rants anymore!
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 02:23:35 PM »

CAN'T PEOPLE JUST F**KING REALIZE THAT THE WORLD REVOLVES AROUND ME!!?!?!!?  I MEAN, COME ON!!!!  Learn how to drive properly and I won't post these stupid rants anymore!

Snowguy - I hate to tell you, but the world doesn't revolve around you. Why is that you ask? It's because you were born with a penis, and thusly aren't entitled to have the world revolve around you.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 02:37:38 PM »

If you don't like my driving then get off the sidewalk.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 02:47:49 PM »

Yeah, I hate that too. I lost a grade on an assignment last year because I handed it in a couple minutes late because I got stuck behind some old farts.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 02:51:23 PM »

Then perhaps you should move to Minneapolis and walk to work!
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 03:26:52 PM »

No. I'll move to Minneapolis and bike to work!

http://www.startribune.com/191/story/1463278.html
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 03:41:16 PM »

No. I'll move to Minneapolis and bike to work!

That's exactly what I'll be doing after this year. Or taking the bus.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 03:43:08 PM »

As far as old drivers go, yesterday while going to work I was stuck behind a motorcyclist going about 25 in a 35 zone because he was stuck behind some old woman going the same speed. She also would for whatever reason stop at every intersection, regardless of if there was a stop sign or not, and for some reason turn on her turn signal but not make the turn, and then turn it off. I was SO relieved when she finally did make the turn.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 04:00:01 PM »

I don't like driving so I avoid doing it whenever possible.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 04:03:24 PM »

Some people really can't drive

I have actually been on Jury duty to the Grand Jury for the last few weeks.  Anyway w weeks ago I was coming home from theNassau county courthouses (which is about 15 miles away).  Anyway I was driving south on the Meadowbrrok parkway and was near the Hempstead Turnpike exit westbound.  The westbound exit is acually a mile from the road because their are turn offs from the ramp to Nassau community College.  Anyway I was in the middle lane and traffic actually wasn't too bad, was going about 60mps, anyway the guy in front of me suddenly decides he wants to get off the Parkway.  Their was some traffic in the right lane so it wasn't that easy to get over so he goes from 60 mph to about 20 really quick so he can get over.  A few minutes later I merged onto the Southern State eastbound, the traffic really sucked.  Anyway the two exits Meadowbrook Parkway and the next one Meadowbrook Road are close together so the merge lane from Meadowbrrok parkway becomes the exit for Meadowbrook one.  Because of the heavy traffic on the southern state some genius decided to stay in the merge/ exit lane.  Well he didn't get off and didn't even try to merge instead he jumped the grtassy median, at half his car in the edge of the right lane the other half on the median and continued to do so till the entrance lane from Meadowbrook Road appeared.  Not to much further, the next exit actually Merrick Ave someone merged on, trtaffic still very heavy, and merging wasn't that easy.  Instead of waiting to merge the guy basically made his own lane and drove past me, to merge in front of me, right after the merge lane ended
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 05:14:57 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2007, 05:16:41 PM by Snowguy716 »

One time my friend was driving in North Dakota and she got stuck waiting for a herd of buffalo to cross the road.  When she honked they gave her the finger.  It was traumatizing.  But that's about all there is to see in North Dakota.

Oh, and a girl I went to High School with was driving from Bemidji to Fargo, ND to see some friends, and on MN Hwy 34 she was cruising along when what should appear in the road but a moose.  She hit the moose head on, totaling her car.  She was injured so badly that she was in ICU for 3 weeks with a broken collar bone, multiple skull fractures, a punctured lung and 2 broken legs.

Ironically, moose hadn't been seen in this region for 80 years.  Apparently they're coming back into the area and wreaking havoc on the roads.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 05:50:50 PM »

Well I know exactly what you mean, I just wish people would drive faster. I mean in many countries, Russia, France, Italy, most of the third world, people drive with reckless abandon as they wip around corners, go 25 miles an hour over the speed limit, and disobey most traffic signals. All I want is people to just drive fast. Then again I always drive fast and my driving could best be described as akin to an Italian on crack.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 10:28:10 PM »

I can completly see where you are coming from.

I personally have to drive about 16 or so miles to school each day, usually it is an easy drive because I have to leave at about 6:30 AM. But every now and then I come across someone going below the speed limit at 6:30 AM! What are they doing?? There are no cops at that time of the day, if anything you should feel compelled to go 10 to 15 mph over the speed limit. Besides that I only have one problem each day on my way to school. There was a new traffic light put in on the road I take and it automatically sets to green for the road that has LESS traffic, also the light changes really quickly, now this wouldnt be a problem but there are cameras on the all four traffic lights that give you a ticket if you run a red, which is sometimes hard to avoid with how fast the light turns (also this is on a road with a 40 mph speed limit so you cant stop that quickly.) And finally there is one church lady that manages to cut me off everyday, she is 70 or so years old and drives so.... slow.... before turning off to go to church.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 03:04:53 AM »

As far as old drivers go, yesterday while going to work I was stuck behind a motorcyclist going about 25 in a 35 zone because he was stuck behind some old woman going the same speed. She also would for whatever reason stop at every intersection, regardless of if there was a stop sign or not, and for some reason turn on her turn signal but not make the turn, and then turn it off. I was SO relieved when she finally did make the turn.

Sounds like she was lost dude.  Probably looking for a particular street she was supposed to turn down so she was stopping at every intersection to read the sign and make sure she didn't miss it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 04:10:52 AM »

Dude - I completely understand you - it's like that for me trying to get to work all the time.

To make matters worse, a police car drove by with his lights on, forcing all the lights to turn red.  When the light finally turned green because someone pulled up into the traffic lanes to go straight, I followed the Canadian as they confusedly made several unnecessary lane changes without signaling before turning off at the first intersection, to go to Target.

How popular is that feature on police cars?  I know they wanted to do that w/ school buses here, but decided against it.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 03:57:39 PM »

I think it's a good thing, because all the lights turn red except for the one in the direction that the emergency vehicle is going, so it keeps traffic moving in those lanes, allowing the emergency guys to keep moving during heavy traffic.

I think school buses would be excessive.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 05:29:26 PM »

I didn't read all of your rant as it was too long, but my pet peeve is persons who have cars which have 'fog lights', and use them.  I mean they use them all the time, whether it is foggy or not.  I always used to 'bright' those people, but my feeble brights (always early-1990s or older cars) seemed to have no effect on them.
Friz
thad_l
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: -9.74

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 07:31:27 PM »

Driving can be aggravating in Niagara Falls and Amherst.  I always avoided driving in the afternoon because everyone seems to like to drive 10 miles under the speed limit (and chances are only half the time they are over 65 years old).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies