PoliticsNJ/Prall Report: Battleground '07
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:06:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PoliticsNJ/Prall Report: Battleground '07
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PoliticsNJ/Prall Report: Battleground '07  (Read 1718 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2007, 06:00:19 PM »

PoliticsNJ released an updated version of the "Prall Report" today.

http://www.politicsnj.com/files/Prall100407.pdf

STATE SENATE
I agree with a lot of it, but I'm a bit more pessimistic about Democrats' chances to win the open 8th; I think Asselta's seat (District 1) should be "Leans Democratic;" and open 38th should be "Safe Democratic."

STATE ASSEMBLY
In the Assembly, I think Nelson Albano's seat should instead be "Leans Democratic" (perhaps with a movement arrow towards toss up); the second district seats should both have arrows pointing towards Leans Democratic; and in 12 and 14, arrows should be pointing towards "Leans Democratic" for the incumbents and towards "Leans GOP" for the two open seats.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 06:52:09 PM »

STATE SENATE
I agree with a lot of it, but I'm a bit more pessimistic about Democrats' chances to win the open 8th; I think Asselta's seat (District 1) should be "Leans Democratic;" and open 38th should be "Safe Democratic."

STATE ASSEMBLY
In the Assembly, I think Nelson Albano's seat should instead be "Leans Democratic" (perhaps with a movement arrow towards toss up); the second district seats should both have arrows pointing towards Leans Democratic; and in 12 and 14, arrows should be pointing towards "Leans Democratic" for the incumbents and towards "Leans GOP" for the two open seats.

Are we basically looking at no net change in the NJ legislature?
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 07:32:29 PM »

STATE SENATE

STATE ASSEMBLY

The net change will result in more seats for the Democrats in the new session.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 08:28:19 PM »

STATE SENATE

STATE ASSEMBLY

The net change will result in more seats for the Democrats in the new session.

Probably +1 or +2 Democrats in the State Senate, and maybe around +1 or +2 Democrats in the State Assembly.  Republicans do look in better shape to break even in the lower house, and a net gain there is not entirely out of the question the way it is in the Senate.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 02:14:04 AM »

So, here's a "fun" question I was thinking about:

It looks like Sen. Asselta has made up some ground on Jeff Van Drew with the GSP issue—Van Drew is no long the shoo-in he was when he first announced.

It seems like he might give it a shot against LoBiondo right now, but declaring his candidacy for Congress while in the middle of a highly competitive State Senate race would be political suicide. 

No doubt he loses a lot of luster with a loss, so... if Asselta winds up winning the race, putting Van Drew out of a job, does he run against LoBiondo in '08?
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 02:23:24 AM »

So, here's a "fun" question I was thinking about:

It looks like Sen. Asselta has made up some ground on Jeff Van Drew with the GSP issue—Van Drew is no long the shoo-in he was when he first announced.

It seems like he might give it a shot against LoBiondo right now, but declaring his candidacy for Congress while in the middle of a highly competitive State Senate race would be political suicide. 

No doubt he loses a lot of luster with a loss, so... if Asselta winds up winning the race, putting Van Drew out of a job, does he run against LoBiondo in '08?

I can not fathom a run by Van Drew for Congress if he loses the State Senate race. I just don't see how he will beable to put up numbers when he can't win his own State Senate district against an incumbent similar to LoBiondo.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 03:01:49 AM »

Well, in all fairness, NJ-01 is much less Republican than Van Drew's legislative district.

And it's not like Democrats have anyone better to run against LoBiondo—Albano is little more than Van Drew's shadow.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 03:25:12 AM »

And it's not like Democrats have anyone better to run against LoBiondo—Albano is little more than Van Drew's shadow.

Agreed Van Drew is probably the only person right now that can put up a legit candidacy against LoBo.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies