Richardson and NM Senate race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:04:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Richardson and NM Senate race
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Richardson and NM Senate race  (Read 1096 times)
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2007, 11:44:53 PM »

I must admit, I'm a little concerned about my favorite candidate dropping out of the race for president in order to run for Senate.  Even though he has adamantly denied any interest in the race I find it hard to believe he isn't seriously considering the option.  If he does ultimately decide to run for Senate then I really hope he makes that decision before the first primary/caucus.  If he waits to see how well he does in Iowa and New Hampshire it will look too much like he's accepting the booby prize if he runs for Senate after that.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 11:47:01 PM »

I must admit, I'm a little concerned about my favorite candidate dropping out of the race for president in order to run for Senate.  Even though he has adamantly denied any interest in the race I find it hard to believe he isn't seriously considering the option.  If he does ultimately decide to run for Senate then I really hope he makes that decision before the first primary/caucus.  If he waits to see how well he does in Iowa and New Hampshire it will look too much like he's accepting the booby prize if he runs for Senate after that.

I don't see why it would look less like that if he dropped out before Iowa unless he suddenly hits a winning streak and pulls ahead of at least Obama and Edwards.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 11:55:38 PM »

Richardson's interest is directly correlative to how interested he is in being in the Senate, as opposed to a possible VP nom or Cabinet position.  He has some choices here.

As for right now, all one can do is simply take his word on the face of it and see what happens.

FYI, the deadline for filing is Feb. 19, however someone can always act as a placeholder if need be (though I doubt if it was another high-profile Dem like Marty Chavez that would happen).
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 09:49:42 AM »

Based upon recent FEC reports, Wilson starts with nearly $600,000 cash-on-hand. In related news, the Albuquerque Journal reports Congressman Tom Udall (D) has decided to not seek the Senate seat. Udall purportedly does not want to forfeit his seniority on the House Appropriations Committee. Governor Bill Richardson's Presidential campaign again confirmed he will not seek the seat. However, Lieutenant Governor Diane Denish, former Attorney General Patricia Madrid and Albuquerque Mayor Martin Chavez each acknowledged Thursday they were looking at seeking the Democratic nomination for the Senate seat.

http://www.politics1.com/
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 10:42:34 AM »

Richardson simply does not seem like a realistic candidate here.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 11:49:10 AM »

why not?

he would be pretty much a shue-in if he decided to run. 

Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 08:39:10 PM »

why not?

Because he's busy doing something else at the moment?  Because he's a highly likely choice for Vice President?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 10:03:55 PM »

why not?

Because he's busy doing something else at the moment?  Because he's a highly likely choice for Vice President?

He would have a better shot at winning that Senate seat than he would of being VP. 
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 12:38:28 AM »

why not?

He would have a better shot at winning that Senate seat than he would of being VP. 

But a Senate seat hardly has as much cache and isn't much of a stepping stone to the Presidency.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 01:05:37 AM »

Bill's also spent the last block of his career as an executive and looks set-up to advance further up the ladder in that role. The only way he runs for Senate is if he has no realistic shot at the Vice Presidency. That's obviously not the case.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 09:51:21 AM »

why not?

But a Senate seat hardly has as much cache and isn't much of a stepping stone to the Presidency.

and being an also-ran for the presidency or vice presidential nomination are good stepping stones?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 03:03:46 PM »

why not?

FWIW, he's as uncategorically ruled out being a VP candidate as he has ruled out being a Senate candidate. (I don't buy either.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies