Memphis "shakes haters off"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:02:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Memphis "shakes haters off"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Memphis "shakes haters off"  (Read 2185 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 05, 2007, 09:22:30 AM »

"Let me tell you something," Herenton said. "I appreciate loyalty."
"This last election has been very disappointing to me," he said. "A lot of people I thought were with me, and I found out they were not with me, and that's a concern. ... There are some mean-spirited people in Memphis. There are some haters in Memphis!"

-- "Our" Mayor's victory speech last night

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2007/oct/05/willie-herenton-mayor-lauds-the-loyal-hits/

Results:
Willie Herenton (Racist Blacks) 43%
Carol Chumney (Racist Whites)  37%
Herman Morris (Normal) 18%

May God bless the 18% who stoood for a united city, where race no longer divides us.  Maybe someday our dream - the dream that Dr. King gave his life for on our soil - can be realized.

The new City Council probably won't be much better than the old.

We found out from the CA that most of the candidates had multiple bankrupticies, felony convictions, etc anyway. Shea Flinn used his daddy's multi-million dollar fortune to defeat Kemp Conrad, a self-made businessman, along with a fractured Republican vote. 

At least we'll have Jim Strickland on there, so there will be some sanity in the mix.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 10:18:44 AM »

Hooker beating and alcoholism?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 10:40:56 AM »

2% for the Republican?

Will you be doing a series of maps, showing the three major candidates' support? (A Morris map would probably be the most interesting...)
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 10:58:25 AM »

2% for the Republican?

Will you be doing a series of maps, showing the three major candidates' support? (A Morris map would probably be the most interesting...)

The endorsed candidate got 0.68%... justice is sweet.  I'd imagine the majority of Republicans voted for Chumney, though maybe around 40% of them voted for Morris.

Once I can get my hands on precinct results, I will try to make some maps.

auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 12:31:16 PM »

I voted for Herman Morris when I went home last weekend. It's not a race thing for my family or me, it's called corruption in the worst form possible. He just happens to be black.

I DESPISE Willie Herenton for what he has done to our city. He actually said that the mayor can't do anything about crime. First of all, that's B.S., because it all starts from the top. I could go on and on...let's talk about how we are number 1 in crime, our public schools SUCK, Libertyland is no longer around...he has just ruined our city and he has had 16 years to do it too. I just hope that "the big one" earthquake won't hit anytime soon...that has the potential to have more damage than Katrina; I don't think Memphis would ever recover.

htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 07:13:29 PM »

It looks like at least Morris got 100% of the Memphians on the forum Smiley
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 11:35:50 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2007, 01:49:57 AM by memphis »

I voted for Herman Morris when I went home last weekend. It's not a race thing for my family or me, it's called corruption in the worst form possible. He just happens to be black.

I DESPISE Willie Herenton for what he has done to our city. He actually said that the mayor can't do anything about crime. First of all, that's B.S., because it all starts from the top. I could go on and on...let's talk about how we are number 1 in crime, our public schools SUCK, Libertyland is no longer around...he has just ruined our city and he has had 16 years to do it too. I just hope that "the big one" earthquake won't hit anytime soon...that has the potential to have more damage than Katrina; I don't think Memphis would ever recover.

While I'm very disappointed that Herenton was re-elected (with a majority voting against him) I also don't get the ruined city speech that every white person will give you. I went to Memphis City Schools K-12 and the ones I went to (Richland Elem, White Station Middle and High) were really good. If others are lacking, it's primarily because so many people with the means send their kids to private schools. Some neighborhoods have declined over the past 15 years, but this has always been the case and others are doing really well. I live in a older neighborhood and there's a lot of very high end development going up all around. Two Forture 500 companies (ServiceMaster and International Paper) have just recently moved their headquarters here. We have an NBA team now. Downtown is looking better than it used to, though there is still much work to be done. Our new library kicks major a**.  Our zoo is infinately better than it was when we were kids.  Herenton's fatal flaw, however, is his style. It's simply not effective leadership to behave the way he does and say the hateful things he says. I guess I'll have to learn to shake it off.  Still, I wish I had voted for Chumney seeing that she was the closer candidate and that I find her much more palatable than Herenton. I think it's wrong to say that all of her support came from racist whites, as she must have gotten a decent percent (for a white candidate in Memphis) of the black vote to do as well as she did. Also, Don's numbers were not the final, official count, which was Herenton 42.4, Chumney 34.6, and Morris 21.3
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 10:21:45 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2007, 10:23:50 PM by Htmldon, voted most partisan member 3 years in a row! »

YAY Poplar Corridor Smiley

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 06:56:26 AM »

Sheesh, I seem unable to find any of your older maps for a comparison.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 12:37:58 AM »
« Edited: October 12, 2007, 12:51:30 AM by memphis »

According to the local paper, Herenton got 1% in my precinct. LOL! Looks like Chumney did insanely well in the poorest white part of town (Berclair), which is the NE corner inside the 240 loop.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 08:37:08 AM »

The green areas are where the black people live, the red areas are where the white people live, the blue areas are where the smart people live.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 09:55:40 AM »

If 80% of Memphis is racist, and 18% of Memphis is not racist, what does that make the other 2%?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 10:14:48 AM »

The green areas are where the black people live, the red areas are where the white people live, the blue areas are where the smart people live.

Blue is where the rich white people live.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 12:37:04 PM »

Yeah, I do have a rough idea of what they looked like. Smiley Still, I seem to recall a fairly distinct White Democrat part of town (which also IIRC stood out quite starkly on some gay marriage vote) and if that's where I recall it to be - and I'm not sure about it - , it seems to have precincts won by all three candidates.
Also, are Herenton's lower percentages in the northern and eastern outskirts of majority-black Memphis to do with black percentages being only in the 50s or low 60s, or did the Black vote split (suburban Blacks not voting Herenton by as large margins as the ghetto, perhaps perceiving him as too ghetto or whatever?)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 10:49:42 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2007, 12:34:48 AM by memphis »

Yeah, I do have a rough idea of what they looked like. Smiley Still, I seem to recall a fairly distinct White Democrat part of town (which also IIRC stood out quite starkly on some gay marriage vote) and if that's where I recall it to be - and I'm not sure about it - , it seems to have precincts won by all three candidates.
Also, are Herenton's lower percentages in the northern and eastern outskirts of majority-black Memphis to do with black percentages being only in the 50s or low 60s, or did the Black vote split (suburban Blacks not voting Herenton by as large margins as the ghetto, perhaps perceiving him as too ghetto or whatever?)

The white Democratic part of town is Midtown. It's an old early 20th century suburb, which has become very eclectic. Old South people like it because of the big old historic houses with big porches and cute architechture. Hip young people like it because it has a lot of affordable apartments and plenty of BRTD-type venues for music and beers (no strip clubs though). It also has the local gay community, authentic ethnic restaurants...You get the idea. Both Herman Morris and Carol Chumney are from this area, which is the area on the western part of the 240 loop with reds and blues.
I think it is fair to say that the more "ghetto" the neighborhood is the darker green it is. Herenton lives in the far SW (Whitehaven and Westwood), and that probably gives him a bonus there as well. Why anybody with the means not to would live in that craphole area (which also includes Graceland) is totally beyond me. The SE area (Parkway Village, Fox Meadows, Hickory Hill) is the black middle class, which is probably not as uniformly loyal to Herenton as the really bad areas are. These neighborhoods were totally white when I was a kid (15 years ago), and there are still some whites there, though the numbers certainly get fewer every day. Far Northwest end of town (Frayser) used to be lower class whites, but long since has become majority black. Quite a few poorer whites got "stuck" there though and remain a minority in the area, explaining the lack of an overwhelming margin for Herenton.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies