Idaho Gov. hints at more GOP Senate retirements
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:45:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Idaho Gov. hints at more GOP Senate retirements
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Idaho Gov. hints at more GOP Senate retirements  (Read 926 times)
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2007, 01:11:59 PM »

From Politics1:

Are more GOP US Senators planning surprise retirement announcements in the coming weeks? Apparently so. Check out this comment from Idaho Governor Butch Otter (R) to Newsweek: "We’ve now got five Republicans [retiring or resigning], and I guess there’s a few more that may make a statement, from what [US Senate Minority Leader] Mitch McConnell’s told me." Maybe McConnell thinks Ted Stevens (R-AK) is a possible retirement ... but the comment referred to "a few" more, not just one more.

I can't seem to find the Newsweek article this quote was taken from but it is an interesting quote nonetheless.  I can't really think of who else besides Stevens would be considering retiring though.  I seem to remember hearing rumors and rumblings about Lamar Alexander (TN) and Thad Cochran (MS) a while back but I thought those rumors had been put to rest.  Have they reconsidered?  Is there someone else obvious that I'm missing?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 01:27:07 PM »

Well, was the comment made to Otter before or after Domenici retired?  The GOP can simply hope Stevens retires.  The filing deadline/primary in Alaska is quite late, so we may not know for a while yet.

I have not read any other rumors about Alexander or Cochran retiring.  Alexander is 67, and announced he was running earlier this year.  Maybe he could change his mind - I don't know, but it's not like he would have a tough race.  The Tennessee filing deadline is in April 2008.

As for Cochran, he was defusing these rumors earlier in the year, maybe he'll change his mind, but he doesn't have much time.  He has not announced yet, saying he would do so in November 2007.  The Mississippi deadline to file is early - January 11, 2008 to be exact. 

There are other Senators who I think might be interested in retiring, but they've all already announced for re-election.  Maybe they'll change their mind, who knows..
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 03:36:17 PM »

Stevens, Cochran, Roberts, and Dole could retire.  I doubt any of them will, and they are all in fairly safe seats.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 03:52:53 PM »

Stevens, Cochran, Roberts, and Dole could retire.  I doubt any of them will, and they are all in fairly safe seats.

I agree, although Dole's seat is not safe if she retires. One of Lt. Gov. Bev Perdue and Treasurer Rich Moore would duck out of the race for Governor to run for Senate, and either would be a strong candidate. (I think Gov. Mike Easley ruled out a Senate run, though an open seat might tempt him.)

Conversely, Stevens's seat is only safe if he retires. At least, it's hard to see a Democrat winning without running against a scandal-ridden incumbent like Stevens.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 03:58:34 PM »

Well, was the comment made to Otter before or after Domenici retired?  The GOP can simply hope Stevens retires.  The filing deadline/primary in Alaska is quite late, so we may not know for a while yet.

I have not read any other rumors about Alexander or Cochran retiring.  Alexander is 67, and announced he was running earlier this year.  Maybe he could change his mind - I don't know, but it's not like he would have a tough race.  The Tennessee filing deadline is in April 2008.

As for Cochran, he was defusing these rumors earlier in the year, maybe he'll change his mind, but he doesn't have much time.  He has not announced yet, saying he would do so in November 2007.  The Mississippi deadline to file is early - January 11, 2008 to be exact. 

There are other Senators who I think might be interested in retiring, but they've all already announced for re-election.  Maybe they'll change their mind, who knows..

Well, he says there are five retiring or resigning, meaning:
Allard (CO), Hagel (NE), Warner (VA), Craig (ID), and.... well, Domenici (NM) is the only one left that makes five.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 05:22:14 PM »

Well, he says there are five retiring or resigning, meaning:
Allard (CO), Hagel (NE), Warner (VA), Craig (ID), and.... well, Domenici (NM) is the only one left that makes five.

Eh, I missed that.  Yep, Stevens would the obvious one.  I guess we can continue to play guessing games on the others.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 05:25:29 PM »

One can hope that Stevens' career goes down the tubes and gets run over by a truck.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies