AZ-Senate-2010-Rasmussen: Napolitano (D) and McCain (R) even
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:07:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AZ-Senate-2010-Rasmussen: Napolitano (D) and McCain (R) even
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AZ-Senate-2010-Rasmussen: Napolitano (D) and McCain (R) even  (Read 2011 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2007, 07:57:00 AM »

Napolitano-D: 46%
McCain-R: 45%

Other candidate: 5%
Undecided: 3%

Napolitano Job Approval Rating:

56% Excellent/Good
41% Fair/Poor

McCain Favorables:

57% Favorable
42% Unfavorable

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/arizona_2008_presidential_election
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 08:12:41 AM »

I'm not too surprised, she's doing a good job as Governor.

I have a feeling that if McCain drops out soon, he'll win re-election with about 55%
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 08:46:38 AM »

Do people think McCain would run for Senate again in 2010 with the Republicans in the deep minority? Does he want to serve until death?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 09:01:47 AM »

I think McCain would. He seems like the type of person who wants to die in that seat. What the hell else is he going to do?
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 09:07:51 AM »

A Summer survey found Napolitano beating McCain 49%-36%.  If McCain does retire in 2010 I can imagine Janet Napolitano running for the seat, however, if he chooses to run for re-election I don't think she would challenge him somehow.  She or Attorney General Terry Goddard would be the strongest candidates for the seat (with or without McCain occupying it), I think Goddard may well plan to run for Governor in 2010 anyway though. 
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 03:21:37 PM »

Do people think McCain would run for Senate again in 2010 with the Republicans in the deep minority? Does he want to serve until death?

Minority and majority matters little in the Senate.  Or, at least, much less than it does in the House.

And besides, "deep minority"?  Democrats will really have to scramble this cycle to get to the same 55-45 Republicans had a decade ago.
Conan
conan

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 04:23:14 PM »

Minority and majority matters little in the Senate.  Or, at least, much less than it does in the House.

And besides, "deep minority"?  Democrats will really have to scramble this cycle to get to the same 55-45 Republicans had a decade ago.
If the election were held today, the democrats would have at least a 55-45 majority. (and the GOP had that just last year.)
CollectiveInterest

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 04:30:46 PM »

Democrats are on track to have 60 seats after the 2010 elections.

The Dems will probably have 57-58 seats after the 2008 elections.

Sixty is a magic number b/c the GOP won't have much ability to block the Dem agenda.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 04:36:25 PM »

I think 55 seats is a conservative estimate. Even with that, the Republicans would be a pretty deep minority (like the Dems were after 2004).  And the Republicans will have quite a few vulnerable seats in 2010 as well.

For McCain, it doesn't look likely that the Repubs would gain back the majority anytime soon.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 04:47:41 PM »

I have to agree with the responses before me.  Including Lieberman and Sanders, the Democrats already have a 51-seat majority.  Right now they are favored to pick up New Hampshire and Colorado, and are looking very good in Virginia and New Mexico too.  That'll give them a 55-45 majority, and won't necessarily be as much of a "scramble" as you say.
Conan
conan

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 06:04:43 PM »

I have to agree with the responses before me.  Including Lieberman and Sanders, the Democrats already have a 51-seat majority.  Right now they are favored to pick up New Hampshire and Colorado, and are looking very good in Virginia and New Mexico too.  That'll give them a 55-45 majority, and won't necessarily be as much of a "scramble" as you say.
VA, NH, CO are nearly definites as they stand right now. Oregon and MN are naturally competitive and NM looks like it will be too. Then there is ME and NE that could potentially be competitive along with probably another wild card.

So that's +3 = 54 and then I personally believe we're going to win at least two more, making that 56 seats.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 07:01:05 PM »

No surprises here. McCain has really looked like an ass lately (4 months ago to 1 month ago, actually) and Napolitano is very popular there. Im actually a little taken back that Napolitano isnt winning! I guess McCain is just getting entrenchment bonuses, like fortified troops in Civ IV. Tongue
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 07:20:30 PM »

Well, let me rephrase then, since some of you bring up some good points—I believe that Democrats are really going to have to work to do better than 55-45, since Landrieu still needs to be defended and a lot of the "other" seats are hard sells.  (I mean, picking up Nebraska?  Really?)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 07:33:24 PM »

I'd put McCain's chances of running for re-election in 2010 at about 5%.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 07:49:22 PM »

McCain need to retire. Chris Simcox may run.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 08:08:15 PM »

You think after he loses the Republican primary, his motivation to stay in politics will be gone?
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 08:13:10 PM »

Well, let me rephrase then, since some of you bring up some good points—I believe that Democrats are really going to have to work to do better than 55-45, since Landrieu still needs to be defended and a lot of the "other" seats are hard sells.  (I mean, picking up Nebraska?  Really?)

Nebraska isn't as much of a longshot as you might think given the correct candidate (Kerrey).  Its still too far out to really call any of these races anyways.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 08:16:25 PM »

Nebraska isn't as much of a longshot as you might think given the correct candidate (Kerrey).  Its still too far out to really call any of these races anyways.

Until Kerrey announces his decision, the Nebraska Senate race remains in flux.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 08:21:43 PM »

I think 55 seats is a conservative estimate. Even with that, the Republicans would be a pretty deep minority (like the Dems were after 2004).

It wasn't that deep of a minority, since they dug themselves out in just 2 years.  The point is that you can't really predict what the breakdown is going to be deep into McCain's potential 2010-16 term, even if you think the GOP is doomed during the first two years or so of that term.  That's too far out for any guesses we have today to have any meaning.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 08:51:34 PM »

You think after he loses the Republican primary, his motivation to stay in politics will be gone?

yes
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2007, 02:20:43 AM »

McCain need to retire. Chris Simcox may run.

Oh well thats settled then.  Safe Chris Simcox.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2007, 08:59:37 AM »

There is little doubt in my mind that Kerrey:
(1) Would get absolutely thumped by Johanns.
(2) Isn't going to run, mainly because of (1).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies