TN-4: Davis Announces Early for Tennessee Governor (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:00:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TN-4: Davis Announces Early for Tennessee Governor (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TN-4: Davis Announces Early for Tennessee Governor  (Read 1626 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« on: October 11, 2007, 07:38:18 AM »

I don't know why Davis would do this to Democrats.  They would almost certainly lose this seat without him running. 

Why are you so sure? He won it from a departing Republican in 2002, hardly a good year for Democrats in Tennessee or anywhere. Democrats still have quite a bench in the state.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 03:31:56 PM »

In the district is what matters. Don't want to run in a Republican leaning district with the carpetbagger tag.

Do we have any reason to believe there aren't Democrats in this district in the state legislature? This isn't South Carolina or Texas, middle Tennessee still (to the best of my knowledge) still elects plenty of Democrats. Yes, it's tough to make the transition from state to federal, but Lincoln Davis did it in modern times. This district was drawn to be competitive for Democrats vs. the 1990s edition.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 06:48:49 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2007, 06:54:34 PM by brittain33 »

"quite a bench" is now random state legislators?

For a seat in the House of Representatives? Absolutely, it is. Where do you think most Representatives come from, and what is the biggest obstacle to electing Republicans in Massachusetts or Democrats in Florida?

Remember, I was responding to the argument that this district is a certain loss for the Democrats if Davis leaves. The existence of state legislators (which, I grant, is hypothetical right now because I'm not going to the TN web site) means that Democrats have people they can run there.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 08:31:16 AM »

Quite a bench is a number of candidates with both personal popularity and some political skill, money doesn't hurt either. If their bench consists of a few ho-hum state legislators who are party line political hacks, at least they have some bench.

Fair enough!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies