LA: Jindal far ahead of others, but below 50%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:53:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections
  2023 & Odd Year Gubernatorial Election Polls (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  LA: Jindal far ahead of others, but below 50%
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: LA: Jindal far ahead of others, but below 50%  (Read 15320 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2007, 07:17:34 AM »

Jindal: 46%
Boasso: 10%
Georges: 9%
Campbell: 6%

Undecided: 29%

The poll of 641 registered voters was conducted Oct. 1 to Oct. 6 by the Southeastern Social Science Research Center at Southeastern in Hammond. The margin of error is plus or minus 4 percent.

In 2003, the university released a poll showing Jindal and then Lt. Gov. Kathleen Blanco were neck and neck less than a week before the runoff election. Blanco, a Democrat, won by four percentage points.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/politics/10446687.html
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 02:15:50 PM »

sigh, all these polls on the two blowout races, and not 1 on the closest of the 3 Sad
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 02:24:59 PM »

sigh, all these polls on the two blowout races, and not 1 on the closest of the 3 Sad

If there's been no polls, how do you know that the election in your state is the closest?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 03:16:20 PM »

If there's been no polls, how do you know that the election in your state is the closest?

Because clearly, the Eaves-mentum is palapable.

Jindal need not worry he's under 50% here.  He's close enough to need only around one out of every eight or nine undecideds.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 02:22:24 AM »

You must not have been paying attention.  Eaves is totally going to upset Barbour with 125% of the black vote and 50% of the white vote for a total of 175%.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 03:11:07 PM »

Polls on Louisiana, wishful thinking on Kentucky, and historical voting trends in Mississippi that make it pretty much technically impossible for the race not to be closer than Lousiana will be and he hopes Kentucky will be. It's actually not that unreasonable.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 03:20:17 PM »

The poll of 641 registered voters was conducted Oct. 1 to Oct. 6 by the Southeastern Social Science Research Center at Southeastern in Hammond. The margin of error is plus or minus 4 percent.

In 2003, the university released a poll showing Jindal and then Lt. Gov. Kathleen Blanco were neck and neck less than a week before the runoff election. Blanco, a Democrat, won by four percentage points.

Honestly, how can they truly call this accurate when thats all they poll in a state of millions?  It makes no sense to me
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 06:34:49 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2007, 07:39:27 PM by Alcon »

Honestly, how can they truly call this accurate when thats all they poll in a state of millions?  It makes no sense to me

They call it accurate within whatever the Margin of Error is at the 95% confidence rate.  It's mathematically pretty sound.  After a while, it gets to the point of diminishing returns.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 06:40:53 PM »

Here's a quick primer.  It's all math—basic statistics and probability.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 10:46:16 PM »

As long as you have a truly random sample, there is a 95 percent proability that the race is within the stated margin of error.

The trick with getting a good poll is getting a truly random sample, and ensuring that every voter has an exactly equal chance of being polled. Obviously it's impossible to get a 100 percent random sample in reality, but firms such as Mason Dixon are obviously coming quite close given how accurate they tend to be.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 12:13:10 AM »

Take a statistics class.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 03:11:34 PM »

Yeah, not exactly all 17-year-olds can just run out and take a statistics class solely so they can understand polling, Zach.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 03:17:14 PM »

Yeah, not exactly all 17-year-olds can just run out and take a statistics class solely so they can understand polling, Zach.

High schoolers?  Most high schools have a statistics class.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 03:42:49 PM »

High schoolers?  Most high schools have a statistics class.

Some can, yes, but it's not exactly like he can run off and start a statistics class immediately.  Tongue

It's much easier to just explain the math behind it than tell him that.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 04:05:35 PM »

As someone who currently makes a living, in part, editing math textbooks, I can assure you that the concepts of "polling" and "probability" are covered the sixth and seventh grades.

(And as someone who actually writes questions for inclusion in math textbooks, I can assure you that sixth grade kids learning math in California this year will be answering a multi-part question about Chris Shays on one of their book's "chapter tests.")
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 04:06:45 PM »

(And as someone who actually writes questions for inclusion in math textbooks, I can assure you that sixth grade kids learning math in California this year will be answering a multi-part question about Chris Shays on one of their book's "chapter tests.")

Political indoctrination in our schools!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 04:28:11 PM »

As someone who currently makes a living, in part, editing math textbooks, I can assure you that the concepts of "polling" and "probability" are covered the sixth and seventh grades.

I never learned about it (in school), but I went to a private school, but we still had standard Math textbooks.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 07:34:20 PM »

Political indoctrination in our schools!

Haha.  It was actually my favorite question that I got to write.  I used a poll that showed Farrell ahead, and had the students show the result as a circle graph.  Then, they had to identify what kind of sampling it was based on the description of who was polled (random).

From there, the actual results were given, and students had to graph that.  They were then asked to give a possible reason why the poll was inaccurate.

If you ask me, real world examples beat the hell out of "Seven students prefer puppies.  Nine prefer kitties.  Show in graph, plz."

I never learned about it (in school), but I went to a private school, but we still had standard Math textbooks.

It's required learning under No Child Left Behind, so a lot of this may be new.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 03:00:12 AM »

I can't figure out how you live somewhere large enough high schools offer Statistics, yet small enough B'nai B'rith is unheard of.  Must be a Michigan thing.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 07:07:36 AM »

If you ask me, real world examples beat the hell out of "Seven students prefer puppies.  Nine prefer kitties.  Show in graph, plz."

Agreed. I have enough of their so called "Real World Examples" with trains, cookies, and NaCl solutions.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 08:08:10 AM »

Agreed. I have enough of their so called "Real World Examples" with trains, cookies, and NaCl solutions.

Oh, we're not allowed to use cookies, because they might set a bad nutritional example for the children.

I'm serious.  We're seriously not allowed to use cookies, or ice cream, or cake, or french fries.  Technically, we're not even supposed to use pizza to demonstrate fractions.  But there seems to be some kind of laziness exemption that always passes the censors.

The worst of it, though, is that we are not allowed to use the word "dice," "die," or imagery showing a traditional die with pips to teach probability.  Because that promotes gambling.  Even though the reason kids learn probability is because the state and federal standards demand that children learn how to "avoid unfair games of chance."

We can, however, use the term "number cube," with numbers instead of pips.  Cause kids are retards and will never make the connection between the two.

(And now, back to Bobby J.)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 02:48:39 PM »

Oh, we're not allowed to use cookies, because they might set a bad nutritional example for the children.

I'm serious.  We're seriously not allowed to use cookies, or ice cream, or cake, or french fries.  Technically, we're not even supposed to use pizza to demonstrate fractions.  But there seems to be some kind of laziness exemption that always passes the censors.

The worst of it, though, is that we are not allowed to use the word "dice," "die," or imagery showing a traditional die with pips to teach probability.  Because that promotes gambling.  Even though the reason kids learn probability is because the state and federal standards demand that children learn how to "avoid unfair games of chance."

We can, however, use the term "number cube," with numbers instead of pips.  Cause kids are retards and will never make the connection between the two.

And you're not allowed to use red tape as an example, because then the students may realize that hte people who regulate their schoolbooks are really a waste of taxpayer money.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2007, 03:43:16 PM »

Math schoolbooks, especially my last two ones are utter failures.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2007, 03:47:02 PM »

Wow. This idiocy must be fairly recent, because that definitely wasn't the case in my math textbooks. Still idiocy.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2007, 10:30:44 AM »

If the state wanted children to avoid unfair games of chance, they would not have a lottery.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies