PA-06: Safe GOP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:10:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA-06: Safe GOP?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: PA-06: Safe GOP?  (Read 4046 times)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2007, 06:55:29 PM »

It's kind of a cross-section of Pennsylvania itself.

No. It's a cross-section of something for sure, but isn't representative of Pennsylvania much; isn't working class enough.

Yep.  That's the reason why I should have made the comment earlier that the vote for CAFTA would probably be supported in the CD (if they understand what CAFTA was) - free trade support tends to be strongest in upper-income suburban areas.

I wasn't disputing his position or whether it resonated with his district. I was simply pointing out that, unlike Baron Hill, he's not cast a high-profile deciding vote in dissent of the GOP leadership's position.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2007, 06:57:15 PM »

No. It's a cross-section of something for sure, but isn't representative of Pennsylvania much; isn't working class enough.

But it's the more microcosmic of the state as a whole than any of the other 17 CD's.  Where else do you have trust-funders, liberal intellectual types, Reagan Democrats, and minorities all place in one House district?
MatthewVA
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2007, 11:39:59 PM »

My point wasn't really about the similarities/differences between PA-6 and KY-3, but rather to point out that you can't use past election results to confidently predict an outcome 100% of the time.  Throughout most of the campaign, Northup was considered far less vulnerable than Gerlach, yet it is he who is still in Congress.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2007, 02:20:27 PM »

Gerlach's numbers have also been steadily decreasing. 

In line with the perception of the GOP in the country.

Mattered 0.4% worth in 2004 as turnout increased, and somehow he lost another 0.4% as turnout decreased in 2006. That's not supposed to happen for a Republican incumbent.

Two-term Republican incumbents rarely face the a confluence of factors such as the kind that nearly toppled Jim Gerlach in 2006.  All things considered, Dan Wofford was a stronger foe than Lois Murphy. Unfortunately for him, he ran in the best election year for the GOP since 1994.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2007, 02:50:36 PM »

Gerlach's numbers have also been steadily decreasing. 
Yeah, I joked on here back in november that, given the clear trendline, Gerlach is obviously safe for 2008 and will be ousted in 2010. Smiley
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2007, 07:03:28 PM »

Accurate assessment.  Other PA district have working class areas- even PA 7 and 8.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2008, 10:20:11 PM »

The Democrats are still without a credible candidate in PA-06. Jim Gerlach is the single luckiest man in Congress. His State House colleagues drew a district specially tailored for Jim Gerlach. A grateful Gerlach seized the opportunity and ran unopposed in the GOP primary.

After winning the GOP primary, he runs against a formidable Democrat (Dan Wofford) in 2002, a tremendous year for Republicans, and wins largely because the DCCC and other Democratic groups ignored this race. In 2004 Gerlach ekes out  a win against a far-left pro-choice activist with no elected experience. In 2006 Gerlach was named to the Philly Trio of vulnerable Republican Congressman.

Fortunately for him, his challenger wasn't a military vet, rather, his opponent was the same out-of-touch liberal he underperformed against two years ago. Despite three millions in negative ads from the DCCC, Rendell's coattails, and Bush's approvals in the 30's, Gerlach wins.

When the GOP is strong and Gerlach has no federal record to attack, the Democrats nominate a strong candidate. When the GOP is weaker and Gerlach has a record replete with politically untenable votes, the Democrats nominate the same inexperienced woman twice.

Now the DCCC has a 30-1 COH edge over the NRCC and they still can't find anybody credible to run against Gerlach. Truly astounding.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 10:26:03 PM »

As long as he's guaranteed 51%, he's always safe.  Wink

Anyway, PA 6 has been a major failure for the DCCC. Gerlach will never be completely safe but this is as lucky as he'll get. I'm happy for him.  Smiley
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2008, 10:33:38 PM »

As someone who is right on the border of PA-6, I assure you: The two major guys running are COMPLETE nobodies. One of them ran the Casey campaign in 06, and the other has never held any elected office. Its bad gang, its bad. Ive talked to them both and they seem personable and determined, but they are both gonna be weak.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2008, 10:34:42 PM »

Anyway, PA 6 has been a major failure for the DCCC. Gerlach will never be completely safe but this is as lucky as he'll get. I'm happy for him.  Smiley
Personally, I always preferred Mike Fitzgerald to Jim Gerlach, but I guess it's helpful (for ideological reasons) that the GOP has at least one Rep. from the Philly suburbs.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2008, 10:35:24 PM »

As someone who is right on the border of PA-6, I assure you: The two major guys running are COMPLETE nobodies. One of them ran the Casey campaign in 06, and the other has never held any elected office. Its bad gang, its bad. Ive talked to them both and they seem personable and determined, but they are both gonna be weak.
Yeah. Unlike Lois Murphy, they lack money and connection. My bet is Gerlach will break 60%.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2008, 10:37:30 PM »

For the record, Leibowitz is an attorney who actually ran in the 2006 primary against Lois and got about 25% of the vote. I have a feeling he'll win the nomination even though the Casey guy may have the establishment backing. It would be great to see a Casey guy go down and then Gerlach win fairly easily over Leibowitz.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2008, 10:39:45 PM »

Personally, I always preferred Mike Fitzgerald to Jim Gerlach, but I guess it's helpful (for ideological reasons) that the GOP has at least one Rep. from the Philly suburbs.

Oh, I love Fitz. He definitley is far better than Gerlach, in my opinion. They just don't compare (partly because I had personal interaction with Fitz during and after the 2006 campaign as opposed to Gerlach whom I have never met).

Yeah. Unlike Lois Murphy, they lack money and connection. My bet is Gerlach will break 60%.

Eh, 60% is pushing it. I say 55%.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2008, 10:44:10 PM »

Oh, I love Fitz. He definitley is far better than Gerlach, in my opinion. They just don't compare (partly because I had personal interaction with Fitz during and after the 2006 campaign as opposed to Gerlach whom I have never met).

Eh, 60% is pushing it. I say 55%.
You accusing me of overestimating Gerlach's vote share? What has happened to this world? Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2008, 10:46:14 PM »

You accusing me of overestimating Gerlach's vote share? What has happened to this world? Tongue

I know.  Wink
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2008, 12:12:12 AM »

Not when Hillary/Obama wins the district solidly.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2008, 12:13:41 AM »
« Edited: January 18, 2008, 12:15:15 AM by MarkWarner08 »

In retrospect, I agree that number is too high. He'll probably win 54-56% of the vote.
Do you agree with me that Chris Carney has a surprisingly strong chance of being reelected? If he can win in November, he only has to survive one more election until he gets a safer district.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2008, 12:15:04 AM »

I don't know about solidly...
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2008, 12:16:06 AM »

I don't know about solidly...
Hillary/Obama will beat McCain by 2-3 points, Romney by 4-6 points, and Huckabee by 6-8 points.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2008, 12:31:11 AM »

Do you agree with me that Chris Carney has a surprisingly strong chance of being reelected? If he can win in November, he only has to survive one more election until he gets a safer district.

No. I think he has a less than 50% chance of being re-elected actually. I'd like to see some fundraising and see how large Meuser's primary win is first however. I don't see him winning this district in 2008, not with the partisanship, not with the GOP nominee getting in the upper 50s-60%, not with a mildly favorable Democratic year rather than an awesome Democratic year + scandal tarred incumbent, etc.

And I would count on holding the PA House through two more elections. We saw a small swing last time which Keystone Phil's boy turned into a Democratic House majority. They'll need to pick up a few seats in the next two elections and hold the ones they currently have.

3% win last time, more favorable Democratic year than 2004, no incumbency for the Republican, more suburban growth=better for Democrats, etc. I'd say that turns into an 8% win this year. More for Obama, less if it's McCain/Rudy.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2008, 12:39:30 AM »

No. I think he has a less than 50% chance of being re-elected actually. I'd like to see some fundraising and see how large Meuser's primary win is first however. I don't see him winning this district in 2008, not with the partisanship, not with the GOP nominee getting in the upper 50s-60%, not with a mildly favorable Democratic year rather than an awesome Democratic year + scandal tarred incumbent, etc.

I think Carney is actually going to be favored. The GOP field is full of weak unknowns (unless Vince Sweeney gets in). You think Meuser will win the primary? I think that's who I'll end up backing.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Are you kidding?  Wink

I really hope you are. The Dems won the House 102-101. That's the way it was. Voting for Perzel as Speaker wouldn't have changed the make up of the House. I don't know why people don't see that.

Anyway, word is that we're getting the State House back even though we have quite a few retirements on our side that will result in Dem pickups.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2008, 12:43:57 AM »

I think Carney is actually going to be favored. The GOP field is full of weak unknowns (unless Vince Sweeney gets in). You think Meuser will win the primary? I think that's who I'll end up backing.

Are you kidding?  Wink

I really hope you are. The Dems won the House 102-101. That's the way it was. Voting for Perzel as Speaker wouldn't have changed the make up of the House. I don't know why people don't see that.

Anyway, word is that we're getting the State House back even though we have quite a few retirements on our side that will result in Dem pickups.
Who cares about the will of the voters or election dynamics, when we can take solace in the "word" of pundits. The DLCC has an excellent plan for holding and picking up State House seats in PA.  I expect the Democrats to hold the PA State House in 2008.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2008, 12:47:00 AM »

Who cares about the will of the voters or election dynamics, when we can take solace in the "word" of pundits.

Uh, I'm simply saying what people expect to happen. I'm not saying the voice of the people means any less. 

Do you have access to that information? If so, how in the world did you get it? Are you on the inside or something?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2008, 12:48:29 AM »

And I would count on holding the PA House through two more elections. We saw a small swing last time which Keystone Phil's boy turned into a Democratic House majority. They'll need to pick up a few seats in the next two elections and hold the ones they currently have.

3% win last time, more favorable Democratic year than 2004, no incumbency for the Republican, more suburban growth=better for Democrats, etc. I'd say that turns into an 8% win this year. More for Obama, less if it's McCain/Rudy.

I've said before that Sherwood winning 47% last year is a testament to the Republican nature of this disjointed district. Meuser is probably guaranteed 48-49% of the vote in a Presidential turnout environment. I think it's possible that Carney will hold enough independents to eke out a 51-49 win.

It's important to note  that Rep. Carney has given voters few reasons to fire him. His voting record, while slightly to the left, is Tim Holdenesque, which bodes well for Carney's chances.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2008, 12:52:47 AM »

Who cares about the will of the voters or election dynamics, when we can take solace in the "word" of pundits.

Uh, I'm simply saying what people expect to happen. I'm not saying the voice of the people means any less. 

Do you have access to that information? If so, how in the world did you get it? Are you on the inside or something?
The DLCC had several operatives on the ground in Pennsylvania in 2006 and they expect to have more in 2008. The DLCC has worked in conjunction with the Democratic Party of Pennsylvania to identify and target winnable GOP House seats. There's nothing sinister or secretive about this...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies