VA-Washington Post: Mark Warner 30% ahead of Davis and Gilmore
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 04:51:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-Washington Post: Mark Warner 30% ahead of Davis and Gilmore
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VA-Washington Post: Mark Warner 30% ahead of Davis and Gilmore  (Read 1916 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2007, 09:27:37 AM »

In the Senate race, Warner leads Gilmore 61 percent to 31 percent, a 2 to 1 margin replicated in nearly every region of the state. Warner leads Davis 63 percent to 28 percent. In vote-rich Fairfax County, where Davis argues that he would have more appeal than some recent statewide GOP candidates, Warner is up by 24 percentage points over the congressman (57 percent to 33 percent).

Warner has a 67 percent favorability rating, and his appeal crosses party lines.

More than 7 in 10 Democrats have a favorable impression of the former governor, as do 69 percent of independents and 61 percent of the state's Republicans. Even 4 in 10 self-described conservatives said they would vote for Warner, who was elected governor in 2001 as a pro-gun Democrat who appealed to voters in traditionally GOP counties.

While 54 percent have no opinion of Davis, 28 percent view him favorably and 18 percent, unfavorably.

Gilmore is better known (27 percent express no opinion), but his ratings have eroded over the past decade. In 1997, on the eve of his election as governor, 60 percent viewed Gilmore favorably. Now, 40 percent have a favorable impression of him.

But in a possible primary matchup, Gilmore draws support from conservatives and white evangelicals, who are driving his lead of 48 percent to 29 percent over Davis among Republicans and independents who lean toward the GOP.

The Post poll was conducted by telephone Oct. 4 through 8 among a random sample of 1,144 Virginia adults, including 993 registered voters. The results from the full poll have a margin of sampling error of plus or minus three percentage points.

http://www.delmarvanow.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071012/NEWS01/71012005/1002
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 10:17:05 AM »

I almost feel sorry for Davis having gotten roped into this.  Especially when his wife's about to lose her job in a month.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 10:25:09 AM »

I would have bowed out reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal quick as soon as Warner entered the race.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 10:40:22 AM »

If this dude is this popular, I have to ask - is he any good at all?  (as in is he just a Dino?)
MatthewVA
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 11:40:08 AM »

Warner is a good fit for Virginia, which means he's kind of DINO-ish.  He doesn't "do" partisan politics which a lot of time makes him come off as really unprincipled.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 11:49:52 AM »

Warner is a good fit for Virginia, which means he's kind of DINO-ish.  He doesn't "do" partisan politics which a lot of time makes him come off as really unprincipled.

<cringe>
MatthewVA
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 11:54:04 AM »

Think "Gang of 14" and you've got Warner.  Not a Lieberman or a Landrieu, but a reliable progressive ally - hell no.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 01:55:37 PM »

Smiley
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 02:22:15 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2007, 02:24:06 PM by MarkWarner08 »

I doubt Davis will run if the VA GOP opts for a convention instead of a primary. This has shades of the 1998 IN Senate race when Evan Bayh muscled Sen. Coats into retirement. Popular former Govs. Warner and Johanns may do the same in their respective states.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 10:56:19 PM »

If this dude is this popular, I have to ask - is he any good at all?  (as in is he just a Dino?)

Warner's a great Democrat, and no DINO.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 11:12:07 PM »

only George Allen can save the VA Republicans now.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 11:55:16 PM »

<cringe>

on the other hand, it's a lot better than having a hard-core neo-con or a fire-breathing theocrat.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 12:47:29 AM »

This is the same George Allen who lost last year over a foreign racist word Virginians had probably never even heard of before?  I fail to see how he is the savior of the Republicans.  I don't think he'd be able to do any better than Gilmore or Davis.

Speaking of Davis, he hasn't officially announced his intention to run yet has he?  If I were polling behind my primary opponent and my likely general opponent by those margins I'd just hold out for 2012 and run against Webb if the Senate was really my goal.  He's much better off running to hold his seat and the Republicans would be much better off in that situation as well, otherwise they'll be defending another open seat in which the Democrats have a good chance of winning.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 01:14:37 AM »

This is the same George Allen who lost last year over a foreign racist word Virginians had probably never even heard of before?  I fail to see how he is the savior of the Republicans.  I don't think he'd be able to do any better than Gilmore or Davis.

Speaking of Davis, he hasn't officially announced his intention to run yet has he?  If I were polling behind my primary opponent and my likely general opponent by those margins I'd just hold out for 2012 and run against Webb if the Senate was really my goal.  He's much better off running to hold his seat and the Republicans would be much better off in that situation as well, otherwise they'll be defending another open seat in which the Democrats have a good chance of winning.

I think you missed the sarcasam
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 02:19:05 AM »

Yay! I wonder how much money Gilmore will waste on this Senatorial campaign. Does anyone know what percentage of Republicans will be supporting Warner? Afterall he is kind of DINO-ish.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2007, 12:34:38 PM »

Wrong, wrong, wrong.  Allen has no shot of beating Warner.  Allen lost to Jim Webb, and Jim Webb is no Mark Warner.  He would get crushed.
Conan
conan

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2007, 12:42:38 PM »

I wouldnt call Mark Warner a DINO. I wouldnt even call him a moderate. He's more liberal than one would think.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2007, 01:09:41 PM »

(lol @ all the people taking my comment seriously)

proceed.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2007, 03:12:35 PM »

(lol @ all the people taking my comment seriously)

proceed.

I took it to mean that Allen was a candidate the Republicans could run regardless of the consequences, unlike Davis, whose future prospects would be damaged.  Allen would lose but his reputation is tarnished enough anyway - I suppose he would be out of politics forever then.  However, I read recently that he was thinking of running for Governor in 2009.  I believe Gilmore is a candidate the GOP could run regardless of the consequences anyway. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies