Idea: Mock Parliament
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:22:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Idea: Mock Parliament
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Idea: Mock Parliament  (Read 29177 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2007, 04:15:13 AM »

Just thinking about it, it's probably best not to have elections for the first session of any parliamentary game and just have those who want to do it, do it. At least until it's off and running
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2007, 05:02:38 AM »

I am willing to be the Welsh Tory to start off, impossible as it will be, but I'm way ahead of myself.

We need to spead the word on this.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2007, 05:17:21 AM »

I am willing to be the Welsh Tory to start off, impossible as it will be, but I'm way ahead of myself.

We need to spead the word on this.

It might not be UK based - I was posting something I'd drafted a few months ago as I thought it was a good example of how to keep complicated processes 'simple.' But if I had a preference I'd go for the UK.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2007, 07:10:25 AM »

Can we play another country than the UK with other parties please?
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2007, 10:08:54 AM »

Can we play another country than the UK with other parties please?

You're at serious risk of losing your title.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2007, 01:44:16 PM »

What party should I join? Am I right or left?

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2007, 01:48:18 PM »

What party should I join? Am I right or left?

Right, by European standards. Though I stress, my idea was only a proposal. It's not everyones cup of tea Smiley
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2007, 03:17:36 PM »

I think after a few more days (or weeks) or until we reach the desired level of interested maybe we should put the who what where when why and how ot a vote, the interested shown in the thread itself leads me to believe a UK system would be the favourite, but I suppose there are other ideas.

Whatever though, afleitch is the boss as far as I'm bothered.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2007, 03:22:10 PM »

I think a few parties, as opposed to every party under the sun would be more workable in the short run, given we wouldn't have enough people to justify having a bajillion different parties.  Just 3 or 4 parties, 2 major, 2 less so, with significant and rivaling ideological factions.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2007, 03:24:18 PM »

I'm not really all that into a UK Mock Parliament, which seems rather dull to me. I like the idea that Bacon King put out there, something completely made up and imaginative.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2007, 04:15:37 PM »

I'm not really all that into a UK Mock Parliament, which seems rather dull to me. I like the idea that Bacon King put out there, something completely made up and imaginative.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2007, 06:43:20 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2007, 06:45:05 PM by ilikeverin »

This is not a UK Parliament Sim, people.  Please read the thread Tongue

(even though other people have posted basically the same thing right above me)

Edit: Hmm, the forum I was thinking of that used to have almost exactly the same concept seems to have disappeared.  What a shame.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2007, 04:09:31 AM »

This is not a UK Parliament Sim, people.  Please read the thread Tongue

(even though other people have posted basically the same thing right above me)

Edit: Hmm, the forum I was thinking of that used to have almost exactly the same concept seems to have disappeared.  What a shame.

I know that. I just posted a draft I had of how you could run a parliamentary sim based on a model I had for the UK and it grew legs.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2007, 02:27:46 PM »

I'll join in with a small liberal party:)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2007, 08:18:41 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2007, 05:08:31 PM by President Colin Wixted »

Well here are a few ideas of my own for the imaginary island in the Atlantic idea.

Name: Antillia, Federal Commonwealth of

Size: 17,089 square kilometers, slightly larger than New Caledonia

Dimensions: From its southernmost tip on the LeGran Peninsula to the northernmost point on Cape Girard at the end of the Essex Peninsula is 168 kilometers. From Cape San Martin in the east to the tip of the LeGran Peninsula in the west is 107 kilometers.

Location: Northern Atlantic, 1,122 kilometers NNW of the Azores

Capital: Alberton, population 103,000, located on the Southeast coast of Antillia.

Demographics:
Population: 516,724 (2005 census)
Ethnicity: 90% White, 7% Indian, 2% Black, 1% Other
Languages: English (official), French (Official), Portuguese, Hindi, Chinese, Malay

Brief Description of Demographics:

Antillia is a country that has several different ethnic and cultural groupings that have to do with its history. White people of European descent make up a vast majority of the population but they are divided into three groupings. Roughly 70% of the white population is made up of English-speakers who are descendents of those who immigrated after the British takeover of Antillia in 1783. They number 224,512 people, according to the last census, and are the largest group on the island. The second largest division is French-speakers, called Mountaineers or Montagnieres in French, who are the descendents of unassimilated French settlers from the period of French rule. Most of these settlers were driven into the two mountainous, or really more rugged, regions of Antillia where they kept their culture and their distinct seperate identity. They make up 22% of the white population and number, 73,768 people. The third major European group are Portuguese, most of whom settled in Antillia in the 1970s from former Portuguese colonies in Africa, while they are integrating into Antillian society they still form a quite distinct identity. They make up 7% of the white population and number 22,451 people.

The non-European ethnicities make up a total of 9% of Antillia's population, most are located in the LeGran Peninsula and the southern lowlands around Alberton. The most populous are the descendents of Indian indentured servants who make up 7% of the population, or 22,896 people. The African descent population is mostly made up of former slaves and constitutes another 7100 people. Others include a small Chinese and Malay community which is mostly found in Alberton.

Geography: Antillia is an island in the middle of the Atlantic. It is a volcanic island and is situated over the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, making it the only other part of the ridge above water besides Iceland. It is dominated by two mountain ranges, one in the west called the Gros Pitons Range and one on the Western half of the island called the Nieves Mountains. The island also contains two peninsulas, both the last extensions of the Gros Pitons Range before they go beneath the Atlantic, the southern being LeGran and the northern being the Essex Peninsula. Both are mostly flat with a rolling hills near their centres. Along the east coast is a small flat coastal strip which rises quickly to the Gros Pitons. Most of the population is concentrated in this area. In the centre of the island, bounded by the Gros Pitons to the east, the Nieves to the west, and the Limer River to the north, is the Arcadia valley, home to the French minority and some of the best farming land in Antillia. The west coast is quite rough and most of the northwest coast is lined with cliffs as the Nieves Mountains descend fall off into the ocean.

Provinces:

Antillia is divided into 11 provinces.

1. Robera
2. New Wales
3. Carnarvon
4. Reginia
5. LeGran
6. New Ulster
7. Hesperia
8. North Antillia
9. Arcadia
10. Limeria
11. Clairive

Political Parties:

It seems that most people are pretty much set on player created parties, which is fine by me. I would most likely create a French-speaking party Rassemblement pour la Francophonie which would support French-speaking interests but be a very loosely organized coalition of French-speaking groups at the national level.

I will probably write a history either later tonight or tomorrow along with a more detailed look at the provinces just to give you a feeling of how Antillia looks.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2007, 08:32:57 PM »

Looks great.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2007, 08:36:12 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2007, 08:38:20 PM by ilikeverin »

Parties should be player-generated; otherwise, looks good!  (if a bit bland... c'mon, I wanna do a little conlanging here Wink  I would prefer it to be more diverse, though; perhaps it was a Portuguese possession at some time or another?  I'd really like there to be tons of Basques somehow, just because Basque rocks Grin)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2007, 08:38:12 PM »

That's what I was thinking but I do get dibs on Rassemblement pour la Francophonie, since I think that's a damn cool name. Wink
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2007, 08:38:31 PM »

Isn't this kind of how Atlasia got started?
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2007, 08:38:43 PM »

Looks good, I'm not sure about each region having a city, but it's a start, New Wales looks good to me of course.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2007, 08:39:48 PM »

Atlasia may have run its course at this point, but this could get intresting.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2007, 08:53:37 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2007, 08:55:44 PM by President Colin Wixted »

Looks good, I'm not sure about each region having a city, but it's a start, New Wales looks good to me of course.

Well those are the capitals of the provinces, which I didn't name yet. Some are larger, though I really wouldn't call any place in Antillia a city, but some are quite small, especially in the west.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2007, 09:04:27 PM »

Not quite.  Atlasia was intended to be a simulation of elections; the positions and their powers were kind of an afterthought.  This seems more like a micronational "roleplaying" thingy, wherein each player creates a personality/ideology/history for a politician and plays out that role, subject to the decisions of the Game Moderator.  Superior in some ways, I think, but that dreaded "roleplaying" word gets some people frightened.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2007, 09:22:51 PM »

When I do the detailed province info do you want me to give an overview of what each province is like politically or do you want that decided through the actual game?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2007, 09:44:10 PM »

Hmm... it might be best for creating politicians if you gave a vague idea.  But it'll be a bit of a feedback loop... if five jillion politicians are created in one area that are liberal, that place will probably have to be liberal to explain why five jillion politicians live there that are liberal.

The sim I was referring to had enough people that there was actual competition (so people could be voted in or out based on the political whims of the provinces/divisions), but since we'll be starting small we might want to have a vague impression now and have it more sketched in by where players decide to settle.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies