Senator Hutchison will not run for re-election in 2012; may retire by 2009
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:47:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Senator Hutchison will not run for re-election in 2012; may retire by 2009
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senator Hutchison will not run for re-election in 2012; may retire by 2009  (Read 1234 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2007, 10:32:47 AM »

By Manu Raju
October 16, 2007

Kay Bailey Hutchison, a member of the Senate Republican leadership, will not seek reelection in 2012 and is strongly considering leaving office early to pursue a 2010 bid to be the next governor of Texas.

In an interview with Texas Monthly magazine, Hutchison said she has “been talking to people quietly” about the possibility of a 2010 bid, but stated that she has not made a commitment to run.

“I don’t want to peak in 2007 for a 2010 race,” said Hutchison, who currently serves as the chairwoman of the Republican Policy Committee, the fourth most senior GOP position in the conference. “Would I like to do it? Yes.”

Hutchison said regardless of whether she runs for governor, she will not seek reelection for her Senate seat, which expires after the 2012 elections. She said she is considering leaving Capitol Hill as early as 2009.

“So is it better for Texas for me to leave early and give someone else a chance to start building seniority before the class of 2013? I think it probably is,” Hutchison added.

Hutchison’s office confirmed the accuracy of the interview. Her announcement is not a surprise because she had long been considered a likely candidate for the governor’s mansion in Austin. In 2006, she won reelection to a fourth term in the Senate with 62 percent of the vote.

Her announcement gives both parties plenty of time to recruit candidates for her Senate seat, and could open up a fight within the GOP conference for her leadership post and spot on key committees, such as Appropriations and Commerce, Science and Transportation.

Senate Republican Whip Trent Lott (Miss.) dismissed suggestions that Hutchison’s announcement was a sign of continued troubles for Republicans, who have seen a flurry of recent retirements in both chambers.

“This is a sign that she loves her state,” Lott said.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/hutchison-is-considering-leaving-office-early-2007-10-16.html
CollectiveInterest

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 01:08:38 PM »

The GOP still has more U.S. Senate retirements to announce in the 2008 cycle. I strongly suspect Stevens (Alaska) will retire. I would not be surprised if Sessions (Alabama) retires. And I would not rule out Cochran (Mississippi) and Roberts (Kansas) changing their minds.

The Democrats could well have 60 or more seats in the Senate after the 2008 election.

The 2010 cycle doesn't look good for the GOP either. There are more possible retirements in GOP states that could flip Dem (e.g. Kentucky, Iowa, Arizona, New Hampshire and Ohio) than Dem states that could flip Republican (Connecticut, North Dakota and Indiana).

It is not outside the realm of possibility that after the 2010 elections a Democratic president could ratify treaties without needing a single GOP vote.

The GOP has mismanaged every aspect of public policy. While the media (and rich ideologues) continue to prop the party up as a viable political party, most of the people realize that the GOP has been allowed to implement its ideology and the policies have failed.

It's time for accountability.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 02:28:52 PM »

It is not outside the realm of possibility that after the 2010 elections a Democratic president could ratify treaties without needing a single GOP vote.

It seems outside the realm of possibility to me, because all those Democrats you're hoping for from places like Kentucky and Arizona will be frustratingly conservative.  That's the problem with having a lot of seats.  It drags your caucus somewhere you'd rather it not go.

The GOP has mismanaged every aspect of public policy. While the media (and rich ideologues) continue to prop the party up as a viable political party, most of the people realize that the GOP has been allowed to implement its ideology and the policies have failed.

Uh....huh.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 03:37:56 PM »

The Democrats could well have 60 or more seats in the Senate after the 2008 election.

I doubt after 2008, maybe by 2010 we'll have 60 or 61 seats.  There just aren't enough openings for us.
CollectiveInterest

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 04:24:02 PM »

I assume you have no problem seeing the Dems win the following seven?

VA-Warner vacancy
NH-Sununu
CO-Allard vacancy
MN-Coleman
NM-Domenici vacancy
ME-Collins
OR-Smith

To get to sixty Dems would only have to win three of the following:

NE-Hagel vacancy
ID-Craig vacancy
AK-Stevens vacancy (not announced yet)
KY-McConnell
NC-Dole
TX-Cornyn
AL-Sessions, possible vacancy
OK-Inhofe

And the possible retirements by Cochran (MS) and Roberts (KS) mean another couple seats could be in play.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 04:57:18 PM »

Well, I'd rather have her as Governor than Dewhurst.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 07:02:29 PM »

Well, I'd rather have her as Governor than Dewhurst.

A-FREAKING-MEN

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies