Candidate Colbert?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:01:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Candidate Colbert?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Candidate Colbert?  (Read 2356 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 17, 2007, 02:39:40 PM »

"Stephen Colbert — who announced plans to run for the presidency, at least in South Carolina, on his Comedy Central show Tuesday night — is apparently serious enough that his staff reached out to the state’s Democratic and Republican committees in advance of his announcement."

continued...

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/17/candidate-colbert/
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 02:43:51 PM »

Colbert 08!
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 03:04:30 PM »

But would he run as his character or himself?
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 03:13:04 PM »

But would he run as his character or himself?

Character, obviously.

But this is awesome! I would so vote for him if I lived in South Carolina. It'd be hilarious if he actually won some delegates from both parties and his name were to be actually mentioned in the official delegate tally at the respective conventions.

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 03:57:08 PM »

It looks like he might only get on the Democratic ballot though.... which kind of ruins the idea of him running as his character.

Still it would be hilarious to see his face next to Clinton, Obama, etc. when the returns come in. If he really got into it and did campaign stops and everything I could see him getting into high single digits.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 04:50:34 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2007, 05:08:27 PM by Erc »

If he's going for delegates, the Democratic primaries are generally better, as they tend to be more proportional.

The SC Dem Primary (January 26 or 29, depending) decides 45 delegates, of which 29 delegates are by CD (4 each for CD's 1, 3, & 4. 5 for CD 2.  6 each for CD's 5 & 6).  The scheme for delegates per CD is based on the vote in the most recent presidential & gubernatorial races, weighted equally.  The remaining 16 are state-wide delegates. 

Both are allocated (in any state) "according to the division of preferences expressed among primary voters," with a 15% threshold to get delegates.  (10% less than the first place, if nobody gets 15%).  If a candidate drops out before the delegates themselves are chosen, his delegates are reapportioned amongst the other qualified candidates proportionally.

So, he'd need to break 15% in a CD to get delegates.

Filing Deadline for SC appears to be December 14, 5 PM.

Requirements appear to be "he or she is a registered voter, is legally qualified to hold the office of President of the United States, and is entitled to obtain delegates to the 2008 Democratic National Convention."

SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 06:46:38 PM »

Looks like I will be looking at the 44th president of the united states at 8:30 tonight.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 06:52:48 PM »

What about "equal time" rules for candidates on TV?  Will he be able to keep his show on the air if he's a presidential candidate?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 06:55:11 PM »

What about "equal time" rules for candidates on TV?  Will he be able to keep his show on the air if he's a presidential candidate?

i think that only applies if he actually goes through with it and files with the FEC. If he's serious, than I'm pretty sure he will be able to keep his show until Halloween.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 07:16:45 PM »

Imagine Colbert in debates.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 07:22:12 PM »

It's people like him that are the reason we can't get rid of the Electoral College.
Eleden
oaksmarts

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 07:41:48 PM »

It's people like him that are the reason we can't get rid of the Electoral College.

No, it's people like him who are getting young people interested in the political process. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 07:56:31 PM »

Obviously, Colbert would make an amazing President, as would Jon Stewart. I'd prefer that we not lose the last two decent journalists on TV though.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 08:09:32 PM »

Obviously, Colbert would make an amazing President, as would Jon Stewart. I'd prefer that we not lose the last two decent journalists on TV though.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 09:12:22 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2007, 11:31:38 PM by StateBoiler »

This is awesome. It fits his alter-ego perfectly. When I get home tonight, I'll raise a Natural Light in Colbert's honor.

Apparently, he will be in both South Carolina primaries.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Colbert announcing on the Daily Show...he'll announce: http://www.indecision2008.com/blog.jhtml?c=vc&videoId=118625

Colbert announcing on Colbert Report he'll run: http://www.indecision2008.com/blog.jhtml?c=vc&videoId=118597
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 09:43:06 PM »

what does that even mean?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007, 09:45:42 PM »

I've actually been trying to make sense for that for at least a half an hour.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 11:31:21 PM »

I think he's trying to say that Colbert is an idiot, and if our elections were based on the popular vote, then idiots like Colbert would have a more direct say in who's elected president, because their votes wouldn't be filtered through the electoral college.  That is, we wouldn't have that buffer of the electors to prevent a ridiculous choice for president.

Thus, he should have said "It's people like him that are the reason we *shouldn't* get rid of the Electoral College."  At least, that's the only interpretation I can think of that makes any sense.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 11:36:29 PM »

I think he's trying to say that Colbert is an idiot, and if our elections were based on the popular vote, then idiots like Colbert would have a more direct say in who's elected president, because their votes wouldn't be filtered through the electoral college.  That is, we wouldn't have that buffer of the electors to prevent a ridiculous choice for president.

Thus, he should have said "It's people like him that are the reason we *shouldn't* get rid of the Electoral College."  At least, that's the only interpretation I can think of that makes any sense.

Well, if that's what he meant, that's bulls***. Presidential candidates and their party and supporters declare their own Electoral College delegates.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 11:41:26 PM »

Yes I know.  Though this was one of the original arguments in favor of the electoral college--for why you would want the filter of the electors--it doesn't really make much sense today, given how electors are now chosen.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007, 12:37:34 AM »

I really think he should go at this full force. Try to get into the debates and everything.

If Gravel can get into most of them, he can.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 12:38:57 AM »

actually, the Electoral College makes it easier to win.

With a national popular vote, Colbert would need 60,000,000 votes to win.  With the electoral college, he could do it with 30,000,000 if he campaigned in the right areas.  At least with a national popular vote, he would have to get have of the country.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2007, 01:38:56 AM »

Well, if that's what he meant, that's bulls***. Presidential candidates and their party and supporters declare their own Electoral College delegates.

My point was not that Colbert's an idiot - he's just inexperienced - and no, the RNC and DNC would not put delegates who would elect him - guaranteed.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2007, 01:40:30 AM »

My point was not that Colbert's an idiot - he's just inexperienced - and no, the RNC and DNC would not put delegates who would elect him - guaranteed.

Inexperienced?  You don't really think this is a serious bid where he expects to win, do you?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2007, 02:13:23 PM »

The State had a decent article about this today.  (link)

The quote I like best from that article is:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

As for my own analysis:

He'll need either $2,500 or 3,000 signatures to run in the Democratic primary, and the approval of the Party's executive council.

The Republicans will want $35,000, but other than the high price tag appear to have no other gatekeeper provisions to keep out joke candidates.

If Colbert is willing to go for the $2,500 rather than the signatures, the State Democratic Party is always in enough need of money I think they'll let him appear on their ballot and the GOP would need to change the rules to keep him off if he spends the $35,000.

Anyway Nov. 1 is the date he needs to do it by to make it official for either party.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies