'Social Suicide' Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:12:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  'Social Suicide' Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: 'Social Suicide' Thread  (Read 10832 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2007, 10:06:45 AM »

Come on now, don't be ashamed at pop culture you just can't stand. Spill all Smiley

----

I can't stand Star Wars. In fact I despise it. I just don't get it and I dont care about anyone in it, the plot leaves alot to be desired and lightsabre battles are just elaborate set pieces designed to fill 15 minutes between sh-tty Lucas dialogue.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 12:37:25 PM »

hahaha . . . woe be unto you if you ever come across a Jedi Knight!
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 01:19:35 PM »

I hate most professional sports.  Especially basketball, baseball, and football.  I have no desire to be interested in them and I don't care about fantasy leagues, the draft, or any of the rest of the crap that comes with it.  I can get into a football game if I actually go to the game and it's my school playing... but watching on TV?  No thanks, I'd rather watch TBN.

But what sport is the most pathetic and overblown and over rated and stupid and absolutely pointless of all?  SOCCER.. Good God.. slit my throat now and spare me the bore of several hours of watching a bunch of idiots with their greased pseudo mohawk running around the middle of a field kicking at a ball... there's more excitement in watching grass grow... and it's all to the tune of a bunch of skinny, cocky, drunk little idiotic European male hooligans standing in the stands singing stupid songs about how much they love their country.  GOD, take me now.  I'd rather watch 3 hours of learning how to crochet with Helen Keller.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 03:29:47 PM »

I hate televised sports, science fiction and top 40 music.

I am a man without a country.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 03:44:59 PM »

I don't care for really any of the music that's been in the mainstream in the last 20 years.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 03:45:40 PM »

I hate televised sports, science fiction and top 40 music.

I am a man without a country.

You are a horrible, horrible person.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

When I don't despise it, I have to say AMEN.

Now for me, The Godfather - what's the big deal? It's not that the film is bad, though it's not really my cup of tea, but for me a good film must have true depth and an ability to somehow give you a better understanding of the world then when you started. There are a couple of films like that that worked for me in that regard. But the Godfather is imo just a glorified soap opera; a 3-hour episode of the Sopranos; nothing with that, but it does not make it a masterpiece like Once upon a time in America.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 03:53:36 PM »

I don't understand the excitement behind "24" and "Lost."  Maybe I expect there to be a plot and a conclusion after every episode, not just "wait till next week..."  Plus, does a single episode really have to be so extremely complex to be interesting?  I'd be more happy with "Starsky and Hutch" and "Gilligan's Island."
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 05:18:57 PM »

Family Guy stopped being funny after the second season. Now they do more and more musical set pieces to try and squeeze an Emmy nod.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 05:26:43 PM »

I just can't seem to hate George W. Bush.  He's not doing anything to make me not hate him, but I guess I'm just not that kind of person.

Also, I just can't seem to not hate Hillary Clinton.  She's not doing anything to make me hate her, but I guess I'm just not that kind of person.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 02:19:04 AM »

What now?  Could you explain this thread?  I should've thought liking Star Trek/Wars would be social suicide, not disliking it.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 05:13:02 AM »

Seinfeld is one of the most boring pieces of trash in television hisotry.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 05:36:37 AM »

I care about professional sports of any kind so little that scientists would have to develop a way of measuring negative amounts of interest in order to accurately measure the extent to which I care about them.

I don't hate sports, but I certainly hate people who act as if there's something terribly wrong with you for not being a fan of them.  Just bugger off and leave me alone; you'll stop both of us from wasting our time.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 07:10:21 AM »

Family Guy stopped being funny after the second season. Now they do more and more musical set pieces to try and squeeze an Emmy nod.

Family Guy was never funny to begin with.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 07:56:15 AM »

I hate children. Not as individuals, but as a group. It's not that they've done anything to make me hate them, it's just that I hate them by association - I hate politicians. Politicians are always going "save the children" as an excuse for their latest campaign for their pet special interest groups - and let me tell you, those groups aren't children. So you know what, the children can be thrown into a volcano for all I care!

I hate the children so much, I'm going to bring about a new organization. It will be the Take-a-Wish Foundation, a charitable organization that will purchase wishes from the parents of terminally ill children and redistribute them to wish-deprived but otherwise healthy adults.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 01:07:50 PM »

I hate baseball... This game is not my national pastime. The Pirates lose every year, and I'm provincial when it comes to sports... Boring sports with losing teams don't make me want to watch... (That one's more towards my family)

I don't give a damn what you think, shows like Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond (With the exceptions of Peter Boyle and to a lesser extent, Brad Garrett), and Frasier were not funny! Each of these shows lasted at least 10 years, and each year they got worse and worse!

CSI, Grey's Anatomy, Lost, 24, Private Practice... I'm sure I'm missing plenty... Are not as great as people claim. I find them all alternately boring, tedious, mindless drivel with bad acting or even worse, characters that I don't care about.

What the hell is wrong with you optimists?!... If the evidence that the world was going to end stood right in front of you, I bet you'd think something like "Well, I'm sure it'll all be alright in the end..." That kind of blind favoritism for stubborn optimists is what has put this country in such a deep hell hole.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 01:16:10 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Also can someone tell me what's so great about Lord of the Rings; quite simply one of the most boring and tedious books in existence. And the films were of average quality which (like Star Wars) just happened to have the "OMG" factor which made them successful.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 05:19:45 PM »

Every single Final Fantasy after Final Fantasy 6 is terribly, terribly overrated.  Not bad, but nonetheless terribly overrated.  And no, Cloud was not the greatest video game character to ever grace the planet.  Cloud was one-dimensional and boring as all hell.  And I mean, come on, "Cloud Strife"?  What kind of f**king name is that?  Every single character from Final Fantasy 6 wipes the floor with Cloud in every way.  The best part of Final Fantasy 7 was Cait Sith, who was awesome and who should have been the main character.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 07:15:38 PM »

American Football and Seinfeld are both horrible.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 09:01:27 PM »

Oh yeah and that, too.

I also agree with people who don't get Lord of the Rings.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 09:33:01 PM »

I hate baseball... This game is not my national pastime.
What the hell is wrong with you optimists?!... If the evidence that the world was going to end stood right in front of you, I bet you'd think something like "Well, I'm sure it'll all be alright in the end..." That kind of blind favoritism for stubborn optimists is what has put this country in such a deep hell hole.
Quoted for truth.

Pretty much everything else I've heard in this thread so far I've disagreed with though.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2007, 02:03:56 AM »

Seinfeld and Family Guy are 2 of my favorite shows ever. Some of the humor in Seinfeld you have to be from the New York area to understand.

American Football is boring as hell. The only sports I ever watch are the playoffs and World Series when my favorite team, the Yankees, are playing. Tennis and Golf are the 2 worst sports.

CSI/Cold Case/Without a Trace: WHY DO PEOPLE WATCH THIS CRAP? Its about murdered people! Do you enjoy murder? Then don't watch it.

I've never seen a single Star Wars movie in my life. All I know about them, I learned from Spaceballs
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2007, 04:42:22 AM »

I hug trees. I pull staples off of bulletin boards for no particular reason. I don't have a television and am thus completely ignorant of various TV shows. I loathe sports, especially football. I spend my Friday and Saturday nights staying up until odd hours doing various sorts of homework instead of "normal" activities. Speaking of normality, I use the word "normal" in the context of orthogonality much more frequently than how "normal" people generally use the word "normal".

Also, I hate politics. Oh, burn.

I suppose that the mere mention of my academic pursuits would automatically entail social suicide, though.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2007, 04:47:12 AM »

I hug trees. I pull staples off of bulletin boards for no particular reason. I don't have a television and am thus completely ignorant of various TV shows. I loathe sports, especially football. I spend my Friday and Saturday nights staying up until odd hours doing various sorts of homework instead of "normal" activities. Speaking of normality, I use the word "normal" in the context of orthogonality much more frequently than how "normal" people generally use the word "normal".

Also, I hate politics. Oh, burn.

I suppose that the mere mention of my academic pursuits would automatically entail social suicide, though.

FF.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2007, 10:44:49 AM »

Damn it Cubby - you took most of my rants! Sad

CSI/Cold Case/Without a Trace: WHY DO PEOPLE WATCH THIS CRAP? Its about murdered people! Do you enjoy murder? Then don't watch it.

I ask my wife that same question.

I've never seen a single Star Wars movie in my life.

Okay, I'm not the only one Smiley . I've never seen Star Trek either.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2007, 11:16:23 AM »

^^^^
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies