'Social Suicide' Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:27:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  'Social Suicide' Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: 'Social Suicide' Thread  (Read 10851 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2007, 12:32:43 AM »

No, that's the Beatles.  Seriously, what's the big deal with them?  There are so many bands out there that were so much more talented and had so much more profound music, but no, of all the bands to have existed in the world, the Beatles somehow become "the" band who everyone thinks was the best ever and swears that there will never be another band like them again.

Then again, I hope that that last statement is true.  Then maybe one day we can focus on bands that are much better than the Beatles ever were.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2007, 03:19:05 AM »

Oh yeah, I just remembered a good one: what the f**k is the big deal with "Knocked Up"?  I saw it a few weeks ago after hearing over and over again how hilarious and great it was when a friend lent me the DVD, and I just thought it was trash.  Do people honestly find it hilarious to watch dysfunctional and pathetic people basically just yell at each other for two hours?  I found it painful and embarrassing to watch and felt that the best part was when it finally ended.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2007, 04:00:00 AM »

I felt the same way about Rushmore.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2007, 11:50:09 AM »

Oh yeah, I just remembered a good one: what the f**k is the big deal with "Knocked Up"?  I saw it a few weeks ago after hearing over and over again how hilarious and great it was when a friend lent me the DVD, and I just thought it was trash.  Do people honestly find it hilarious to watch dysfunctional and pathetic people basically just yell at each other for two hours?  I found it painful and embarrassing to watch and felt that the best part was when it finally ended.

I was entertained, but it paled in comparison to Superbad and Anchorman.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2007, 06:51:02 PM »

I was entertained, but it paled in comparison to Superbad and Anchorman.

I pretty much just thought the lady co-worker that always sits in on the main character's meetings with her boss was hilarious...

"Yeah, I think child birth is actually really gross.  It's all like.. wet."

There's no humor quite like unintentionally offending somebody pretty badly and holding a completely straight face the whole time.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2007, 06:35:37 PM »

i started coming out today, and i live in texas.  that's social suicide sometimes!
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2007, 08:56:34 PM »

No, that's the Beatles.  Seriously, what's the big deal with them?  There are so many bands out there that were so much more talented and had so much more profound music, but no, of all the bands to have existed in the world, the Beatles somehow become "the" band who everyone thinks was the best ever and swears that there will never be another band like them again.

Then again, I hope that that last statement is true.  Then maybe one day we can focus on bands that are much better than the Beatles ever were.

Well, you can't really argue subjective preference, as we've told BRTD many times regarding suburbs. The Beatles remain one of my favorites though it's hard for for me to explain how or why one kind of  music makes you feel versus another. Knocked Up was really funny too, though it's obviously not some landmark event in cinema. Maybe you just have bad taste in music and movies Smiley
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2007, 11:52:50 PM »

I hate video/computer games, although I admit the wii is pretty cool.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2007, 11:33:58 PM »

I couldn't give a s**t about the Red Sox, and I really wish they'd stop interrupting Judge Judy and The Price is Right for victory parade coverage.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2007, 12:51:57 AM »

What? Even my mom loved it! And my mom is the type of middle aged woman who almost exclusively only watches movies like The Notebook.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2007, 02:01:43 PM »

i started coming out today, and i live in texas.  that's social suicide sometimes!

Just noticed this. Good for you, if it makes you feel better to be out.

Melbourne is a remarkably accepting place and so I have felt comfortable here, although at 15 I was scared. I still haven't come out to my family.

When I moved to Canberra for uni, I moved into a student residence. It has 320 students, is run by the Dominicans and has a reputation as being the loudest, blokiest college on campus.

On my first day, I didn't know that. I had decided that in my new city I would be totally open about my sexuality, and so when the topic of girls was raised when I was playing pool with a couple of later-year ressies, I came out to them. The two guys were THE most blokey-bloke of the bunch; the head of the boy's club and his deputy.

They were actually pretty cool with it; in fact, one of them saw another guy who lived at the college walking past and said to me "Hey, I'm pretty sure that guy is gay, I'll go and get him". He came back with 'Adam', who was in the closet but so effete that suspicion was inevitable (he came out mid-year, and then left the college). He wasn't my type, but the event made me feel more comfortable about being out at college and since then i've been 100% out. when I later found out who those two were, I almost shat myself! Still, it was done and if it was ever to be pulled back, it would have been impossible once those two knew.

After 'Adam' left (and for most of the time he was there) I was the only open non-het there. Out of 320 people. Did it affect people's opinions of me? I'm fairly sure that it did. I know there are other non-hets there, but none have decided to come out, which is their right of course, but it is frustrating.

In the second semester I got involved with ANU Queer and it's social wing, the 'Jellybabies'. I'm not a militant homosexual or anything, and I enjoy the presence of many close straight friends in my life, but I very much enjoy being able to spend time with gay guiys, bi guys, bi girls, lesbians, a trans and a few ?s. I learnt some stuff, I met some drop-dead gorgeous guys, and I found a space where I could be totally relaxed about my sexuality at uni.

Being out does affect your social standing. It opens possibilities to new friendships if that's what you want, and also closes doors-but if someone doesn't want to know you because of your sexuality, they're probably not worth knowing.

By living as the only representative of an often misunderstood and occasionally persecuted minority in an environment like college, I saw some bad elements of people who lived with me. I only had two serious issues (). I also had a lot of positive responses, some from surprising sources, suh as the two guys at the pool table.

I wish you the best in the new angle of your life. Being 'bent' might not take you down the road of the majority, but who wants that when the alternate path feels right, and opens up some amazing new vistas?

I'm happier now than I have ever been. I hope the same for you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies