With which Congressperson are you most closely politically aligned?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:31:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  With which Congressperson are you most closely politically aligned?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: With which Congressperson are you most closely politically aligned?  (Read 2906 times)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2007, 06:55:18 PM »

http://nationaljournal.com/voteratings/index.htm?q=gilchrest#search

I agree with Wayne Gilchrest's votes about 95% of the time.

Here's the recent National Journal list for reference:
http://nationaljournal.com/voteratings/
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 07:06:04 PM »

I can see Gilchrest's ratings, but how did you ascertain that you agree with him 95% of the time?

Dave
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »

I can see Gilchrest's ratings, but how did you ascertain that you agree with him 95% of the time?

Dave

Washington Post has a vote by vote breakdown. I found that I would've been 52.5% Liberal/ 47.5% Conservative using the National Journal's key votes.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 07:27:20 PM »

Dave

Washington Post has a vote by vote breakdown. I found that I would've been 52.5% Liberal/ 47.5% Conservative using the National Journal's key votes.

So basically to find mine, I'd need to decide whether I'd have voted for or against on each key vote to get my score, then type those scores into search to see who comes up?

Dave
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 07:38:19 PM »

Dave

So basically to find mine, I'd need to decide whether I'd have voted for or against on each key vote to get my score, then type those scores into search to see who comes up?

Dave

Here's the list of votes: http://nationaljournal.com/voteratings/house.htm

I compiled my positions on the votes when the list first came out. I decided to post this thread because Wayne Gilchrest is in the news.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 07:42:53 PM »

I compiled my positions on the votes when the list first came out. I decided to post this thread because Wayne Gilchrest is in the news.

So what I do? Start at 0 and count up or start at 100 and count down or do I only count if I vote in the affirmative?

Dave
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 08:43:38 PM »

So what I do? Start at 0 and count up or start at 100 and count down or do I only count if I vote in the affirmative?

Dave

I used their system of weighing the averages of the votes. I really should have found an easier to use website. Tongue
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 08:41:54 AM »

Dave

I used their system of weighing the averages of the votes. I really should have found an easier to use website. Tongue

I'm still no further forward as to how to calculate who I'd be closest to Tongue

Dave
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 08:48:58 AM »

Honestly, I have no idea.  I'm not well versed on all of their political views, so it would be difficult to choose.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 03:45:36 PM »

Ron Paul, Walter Jones, Nancy Boyda.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 04:20:35 PM »

Chris Shays; perhaps the late, great Connie Morella.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 06:06:59 PM »

I'll start at 50, which is the center, adding for every Conservative vote in the affirmative and subtracting for every Liberal vote in the affirmative and see if I can make any sense of it

Dave
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 11:44:52 PM »

Who are some anti-ethanol Congressmen?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 11:52:16 PM »

I'm in line with Steny Hoyer, my congressman.  Probably go good with Chris Van Hollen too.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 02:15:58 AM »

I like Earl Blumenauer (D) of OR-3 a lot. My Congressman, Steve Cohen of TN-9 is pretty cool also.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2007, 02:25:32 AM »

Possibly Pete Stark
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 05:14:26 AM »

Probably James Moran (D-VA).
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 09:31:42 AM »
« Edited: October 25, 2007, 11:15:00 AM by Democratic 'Hawk' »

Well, I did both 2006 Senate and House and came up with some pretty scary results, which shocked Shocked me to my core

Senate

I found that my weighted scores were as follows:

Economics: Liberal 60 (66%); Conservative 31 (34%) - on this measure I'm closest to Robert Byrd (D-West Virginia)

Social: Conservative 41 (52%); Liberal 38 (48%) - on this measure I'm closest to Chuck Hagel (R-Nebraska)

Foreign: Conservative 29 (76%); Liberal 9 (24%) - on this measure I'm closest to Trent Lott (R-Mississippi), "Kit" Bond (R-Missouri), Conrad Burns* (R-Montana), Chuck Hagel (R-Nebraska), Tom Coburn (R-Oklahoma) & Michael Enzi (R-Wyoming)

However, put it all together and I have the following composite score:

Liberal 107 (51.4%) / Conservative 101 (48.6%) , on which my closest Senate match is Mike DeWine* (R-Ohio) , who scores:

- Economic (Liberal 52% / Conservative 47%)
- Social (Liberal 51% / Conservative 47%)
- Foreign (Conservative 50% / Liberal 47%)

House

I found that my weighted scores were as follows:

Economics: Liberal 63 (64%); Conservative 35 (36%) - on this measure I'm closest to Bobby Rush (D, Illinois-03) & Ted Strickland* (D, Ohio-06)

Social: Conservative 63 (69%); Liberal 28 (31%) - on this measure I'm closest to Katherine Harris* (R, Florida-13)

Foreign: Liberal 22 (55%); Conservative 18 (45%) - on this measure I'm closest to Allen Boyd (D, Florida-02)

However, put it all together and I have the following composite score:

Conservative 116 (50.7%) / Liberal 113 (49.3%) , on which my closest House match is Dan Boren (D, Oklahoma-02) , who scores:

- Economic (Conservative 52% / Liberal 48%)
- Social (Conservative 50% / Liberal 49%)
- Foreign (Liberal 50% / Conservative 50%)

* denotes no longer in the Senate or the House

Although, overall, both a Senate and House centrist, I'd only be close to being socially centrist in the Senate, which is possibly a truer reflection, and a foreign policy centrist in the House (my liberal score down to the fact I'd take a more liberal line on foreign aid); while I'd be the most robustly 'hawkish' Democratic senator (I don't doubt that) and, apparently, the most socially conservative Democrat in the House (though I'm skeptical as regards that)

It will be interesting to see what 2007 brings, if nothing else. Perhaps a leftward shift on House social votes, now that Democrats are setting the agenda Smiley

Dave
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 11:57:16 AM »
« Edited: October 22, 2007, 09:25:22 PM by Bacon King! »

House:

Economic: 40.2% Conservative, 59.8% Liberal. Similar Congressmen: Tim Holden (D-PA), Bart Gordon (D-TN), Silvestre Reyes (D-TX)

Social: 8.8% Conservative, 91.2% Liberal. Similar Congressmen: Howard Berman (D-CA), Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick (D-MI)

Foreign: 21.1% Conservative, 78.9% Liberal. Similar Congressmen: Jerry Costello (D-IL), Tom Allen (D-ME), Ron Paul (R-TX)

Overall: 24.3% Conservative, 75.7% Liberal. Most similar Congressman: Mike Thompson (D-CA)

Looking at the three sections individually, however, it seems to me that the most similar Congressman to myself is Neil Abercrombie (D-HI)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2007, 07:46:48 PM »

Looking at the three sections individually, however, it seems to me that the most similar Congressman to myself is Neil Abercrombie (D-HI)

I'd have great difficulty on that one considering there is not one House Republican who is more economically liberal, and not one Democrat who is more socially conservative, than me. I'm still in a state of disbelief that of all Reps, my closest match on social votes is Katherine Harris

As Democrats go, I'd be a in class of my own Grin

Assuming my composite Senate and House scores would have been the same in 2005, which is unlikely since it depends on the issues, my closest matches, overall, would have been  Olympia Snowe , who scored a composite Liberal score of 52.7, and Wayne Gilchrest , who scored a composite Conservative score of 50.5

Dave
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2007, 09:29:30 PM »

I'd have great difficulty on that one considering there is not one House Republican who is more economically liberal, and not one Democrat who is more socially conservative, than me. I'm still in a state of disbelief that of all Reps, my closest match on social votes is Katherine Harris

As Democrats go, I'd be a in class of my own Grin

Assuming my composite Senate and House scores would have been the same in 2005, which is unlikely since it depends on the issues, my closest matches, overall, would have been  Olympia Snowe , who scored a composite Liberal score of 52.7, and Wayne Gilchrest , who scored a composite Conservative score of 50.5

Dave

There are obviously no economically liberal Republicans. As crazy as your social views may be, I'm shocked that Dan Boren in particular, and also Taylor and those useless GA reps are to the  left of you. Dan Boren is basically a far right-winger on social issues.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 12:45:50 PM »

There are obviously no economically liberal Republicans. As crazy as your social views may be, I'm shocked that Dan Boren in particular, and also Taylor and those useless GA reps are to the  left of you. Dan Boren is basically a far right-winger on social issues.

You're shocked Shocked! Believe me discovering I'd have had the same rating as Katherine Harris sent me reeling Sad

My Senate score (Conservative 52%) is probably a truer reflection than my House score (Conservative 69%) of where I stand on social issues as a whole. I'm only fairly right-wing on defense and national security

Dave
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 06:38:22 PM »

Carolyn Maloney, Barney Frank, or Lynn Woolsey.

I was not aware that she had passed. (Actually, according to bioguide.congress.gov, there was no mention of it.)

Anyhow, she certainly is/was one of my favorite Republicans. Not only was she quite liberal, but she adopted her sister's six children when she (the sister) died, in addition to raising her three biological children.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 10:34:21 PM »

House:  Dan Boren (D-OK-2)
Senate:  Claire McCaskill (D-MO)
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007, 10:42:49 PM »

Carolyn Maloney, Barney Frank, or Lynn Woolsey.

I was not aware that she had passed. (Actually, according to bioguide.congress.gov, there was no mention of it.)

Anyhow, she certainly is/was one of my favorite Republicans. Not only was she quite liberal, but she adopted her sister's six children when she (the sister) died, in addition to raising her three biological children.
The reason you didnt hear of it is probably because she's alive....
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies