CNN on the Southern California fires
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:01:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CNN on the Southern California fires
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CNN on the Southern California fires  (Read 1833 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2007, 04:23:43 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

CNN's view on the situation is duly noted. So we're only supposed to get upset when a liberal criticizes Mr. 25%, huh?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 04:54:42 PM »

CNN's view on the situation is duly noted. So we're only supposed to get upset when a liberal criticizes Mr. 25%, huh?

That would be one man's opinion who happens to work for CNN.  But then again, I don't pay much attention to any of the talking heads.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 08:28:10 PM »

Well, if he's being paid by CNN and hosted on their network, and there's no disclaimer before his show that CNN does not agree with the opinions put forth in his broadcast, I'm pretty sure there's the implication at least that CNN does not disagree with what he's saying.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 10:13:06 PM »

Those fires happned about 30 miles from where I live, and you can't really go outside without smelling ashes. We had to eat lunch in the gym.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 10:59:55 PM »

It smells like smoke all over La Jolla.

UCSD is closed for two days as well. Pretty bad, but we wont have to evacuate.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 11:47:17 PM »

Whilst the situation is terrible, I have to say I laughed when I heard "14,000 hectares burnt in juyst two days". Obviously now it's closer to 40,000, but it's not *that* big a fire.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 12:20:41 AM »
« Edited: October 23, 2007, 12:38:49 AM by Written by Aaron Sorkin »

Whilst the situation is terrible, I have to say I laughed when I heard "14,000 hectares burnt in juyst two days". Obviously now it's closer to 40,000, but it's not *that* big a fire.

Hugh,

You laughed?  You may not realize this, but that was an icnredibly isnensitive thing to say.  My parents house is in the path of this thing, and they fully should expect to wake up tommorrow finding that they have no place to live.

Fully 300,000 people have been evacuated, and I expect more to have to be evacuated before the more than a dozen wildfires across three counties burn out.  Pepperdine University is almost certainly gone thanks to the Malibu fire.  Lake Arrowhead is being decimated by another fire.  There are two fires just getting started in Orange County thanks to arsonists.  The Witch Fire in central San Diego is barreling towards the sea and after having burned 145,000 acres it is still 0% contained according to the firefighters.  It is very near to the sea, and could literally wipe out whole sections of Encinitas and Del Mar if firefighters cannot pull out a miracle.  In Otay Mesa, another fire is demolishing the border areas.  CNN just reported that as the fires climb over hillsides, they are throwing embers the size of milk cartons distances of up to a mile by gusts of hurricane force winds, embers that are starting still more fires.

There is only one fire truck in San Diego County not comitted to fighting a fire.  One more blaze breaks the back of those who are charged with stopping this disaster, they simply won't be able to handle it.

I don't think you meant to be so thoughtless, but I'm afraid you were.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 01:50:03 AM »
« Edited: October 23, 2007, 01:53:49 AM by Snowguy716 »

Unfortunately you're not out of the water until the end of the week, and tomorrow the conditions won't be any better than today.

Relative humidities across southern California have been below 10%, which is exceptional.  Not even the deserts see that kind of dryness very often.  Escondido has an RH value of 7% at the moment with a temp in the low 70s and a dew point of 9*F.  That means in order for moisture to condense in the air and form fog/mist, the air temperature would have to drop to 9*F.  Dew points below 50*F or so start to feel pretty dry.  I can't imagine what 9*F feels like.

Red Flag warnings and high wind warnings are in effect for more inland portions of SoCal with wind advisories along the coast.  The wind could still gust to 70mph in some places.  If the fire fighters don't get a handle on things, this could very well turn into a major fire storm.

300,000 people evacuating on such short notice is a huge deal, especially in Southern California.

I hope everyone remains safe.

I've been looking at more stats.

In San Bernardino at 12pm PDT today, the temperature was 74*F and the dew point was -20*F, with a relative humidity of 2%.  The dryness of the air is amazing... the perfect ingredients for a fire storm.  I wouldn't feel safe lighting a match lest the air simply combust on its own.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 05:53:32 PM »

Well, he didn't criticize Mr. 25%, he only criticized 35 million Californians. So no forced apology, and CNN stands by him.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 06:02:50 PM »

I really don't hope that FEMA comes to "fix" this thing and/or my house burns down. If both events happen, then I will really be screwed, if I learned anything from Katrina.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 06:13:51 PM »

Those fires happned about 30 miles from where I live, and you can't really go outside without smelling ashes. We had to eat lunch in the gym.

Depending on the gym, smelling the ashes might be preferable. Grin
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 09:19:21 PM »

And now, Rush Limbaugh some how manages to blame those "environmental wackos" for the fact that Southern California is on fire. What a dumbass.

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 11:34:04 PM »

The whole thing is obviously God punishing San Diego county for its unnatural and abominable Republican lifestyle.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 01:11:51 AM »

The whole thing is obviously God punishing San Diego county for its unnatural and abominable Republican lifestyle.

In the 2004 election, how dare they vote for...........

Barbara Boxer?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 05:28:45 AM »

Is anyone else thinking that the media are focussing too much on the celebs caught up in this? What about the other 500,000 people?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 07:27:42 AM »

Is anyone else thinking that the media are focussing too much on the celebs caught up in this? What about the other 500,000 people?

The DJ out here just ripped CNN and other media outlets for covering Tom Hank's house and some other celebs B&B.  He said "Look folks, these celebrities have at least 5 more houses where those came from.  Meanwhile, the everyday Joe is losing everything.  For once lets not give the celebrities unnecessary attention and focus on those who truly are in need." (Or something along that line.)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 11:28:42 PM »

Hugh,

You laughed?  You may not realize this, but that was an icnredibly isnensitive thing to say.  My parents house is in the path of this thing, and they fully should expect to wake up tommorrow finding that they have no place to live.

Fully 300,000 people have been evacuated, and I expect more to have to be evacuated before the more than a dozen wildfires across three counties burn out.  Pepperdine University is almost certainly gone thanks to the Malibu fire.  Lake Arrowhead is being decimated by another fire.  There are two fires just getting started in Orange County thanks to arsonists.  The Witch Fire in central San Diego is barreling towards the sea and after having burned 145,000 acres it is still 0% contained according to the firefighters.  It is very near to the sea, and could literally wipe out whole sections of Encinitas and Del Mar if firefighters cannot pull out a miracle.  In Otay Mesa, another fire is demolishing the border areas.  CNN just reported that as the fires climb over hillsides, they are throwing embers the size of milk cartons distances of up to a mile by gusts of hurricane force winds, embers that are starting still more fires.

There is only one fire truck in San Diego County not comitted to fighting a fire.  One more blaze breaks the back of those who are charged with stopping this disaster, they simply won't be able to handle it.

I don't think you meant to be so thoughtless, but I'm afraid you were.

It was insensitive of me. I understand that because of the dense nature of the area the fire is a serious concern, but in my frame of reference for buishfires 14,000 hectares is hardly major. The difference is that 14,000 hectares in the australian bush as likely as not has no homes, infrastructure or business.

I do sympathise with the people of the region, and I wish the firefighters the best in their efforts to control the fires. I am sorry if I have offended you.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 01:18:04 AM »

It was insensitive of me. I understand that because of the dense nature of the area the fire is a serious concern, but in my frame of reference for buishfires 14,000 hectares is hardly major. The difference is that 14,000 hectares in the australian bush as likely as not has no homes, infrastructure or business.

I do sympathise with the people of the region, and I wish the firefighters the best in their efforts to control the fires. I am sorry if I have offended you.

It's all right.  I imagined you meant no offense, even though your words came out wrong.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2007, 12:39:48 PM »

This sort of thing doesn't suprise me; CNN is easily the worst major news network.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2007, 12:50:46 PM »

This sort of thing doesn't suprise me; CNN is easily the worst major news network.

It's certainly up there (or maybe down there?) among the worst, but the most annoying thing about CNN is their painfully apparent lack of geographical knowledge.

I'm quite surprised that they haven't been using a map of British Columbia to show their viewers which parts have been worst affected by the fires.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2007, 05:52:16 PM »

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=121874&title=californincineration&byDate=true
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies