ME Sen: Collins 56%; Allen 33%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:20:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ME Sen: Collins 56%; Allen 33%
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: ME Sen: Collins 56%; Allen 33%  (Read 4738 times)
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007, 05:41:14 PM »

I'm not sure I understand why Maine "will go to the Democrat by a large margin."  Rudy Giuliani is exactly the type of Republican that would play well in Maine.

Kerry won the state by 9 in a year the GOP won nationally by 2.46%.  The state is clearly in the double digit category next year.  Rudy would not be a good fit, not anymore at least.  Those who would be more open to Giuliani because of his social views compared to other Republicans will flee Rudy because of his asinine Iraq views.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2007, 11:39:37 PM »

Well, as a former moderate Republican firmly located in the heart of New England, I can tell you that, after voting for Kerry in 2004, I'm leaning much more towards a vote for Giuliani than I am a vote for Hillary Clinton.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007, 11:52:05 PM »

Well, as a former moderate Republican firmly located in the heart of New England, I can tell you that, after voting for Kerry in 2004, I'm leaning much more towards a vote for Giuliani than I am a vote for Hillary Clinton.

I live in Nassau County, on LI. A generally republican leaning area of LI, many NYC commuters, one of the most heavily Italian American neighborhoods in one of the heaviest Italian American counties in the country.  As a whole a Republican leaning area, but not socially conservative.  An area where Rudy would have had a tremendous amount of appeal to, much more so than other Republicans.  An area where Rudy was very well liked,  However, as his Iraq views have become more and more well known the opinion of him has dropped dramatically. 
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2007, 01:02:55 AM »

I live in Nassau County, on LI. A generally republican leaning area of LI, many NYC commuters, one of the most heavily Italian American neighborhoods in one of the heaviest Italian American counties in the country.  As a whole a Republican leaning area, but not socially conservative.  An area where Rudy would have had a tremendous amount of appeal to, much more so than other Republicans.  An area where Rudy was very well liked,  However, as his Iraq views have become more and more well known the opinion of him has dropped dramatically. 

I don't doubt for a minute that Rudy is not as popular in the NYC metro area than he was, 7 years ago, since we have polls confirming that.

But, of course, Nassau County has virtually nothing in common with Maine.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007, 02:46:07 AM »

I boldly predict Susan Collins will not carry Nassau County.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2007, 03:15:58 AM »

I don't doubt for a minute that Rudy is not as popular in the NYC metro area than he was, 7 years ago, since we have polls confirming that.

But, of course, Nassau County has virtually nothing in common with Maine.

Granted, but the anti-war sentiment that really has hurt Rudy's standing here is also huge in Maine, an because of it he won't do as well there as he otherwise would have.  I'm not saying Collins won't win, I think she will, however she isn't safe and her views on Iraq, especially when contrasted with Allen as well as Snowe could really hurt her.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies