Three posters least likely to ever live in a suburb
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 04:54:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Three posters least likely to ever live in a suburb
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Three posters least likely to ever live in a suburb  (Read 6952 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2007, 11:47:46 PM »

pulled up the census bureau of a census tract in Bellevue median family income right around $40,000.  Face it you live in a predominately white suburb.

If it's $40,000, it has to be around Bonnie Leslie and not near the river where most people live.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2007, 03:05:50 AM »

Bellevue is fairly working class though.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »

Granted, but  its still that dreaded suburb Bandit & BRTD hate so much.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2007, 09:00:42 PM »

pulled up the census bureau of a census tract in Bellevue median family income right around $40,000.  Face it you live in a predominately white suburb.

If it's $40,000, it has to be around Bonnie Leslie and not near the river where most people live.

You may need to look up the definition of the word "median."
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2007, 12:57:26 PM »

Granted, but  its still that dreaded suburb Bandit & BRTD hate so much.

Dictionary.com says...

sub·urb      /ˈsʌbɜrb/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[suhb-urb] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a district lying immediately outside a city or town, esp. a smaller residential community. 
2. the suburbs, the area composed of such districts. 
3. an outlying part. 

Basically, if you are in a city's metropolitian area but not in the city itself, then by definition that's the suburbs.

So rather than changing the definiton of the word to fit one's preconceived notion of what a suburb is (regardless of how accurate that notion may be in most cases), it would be more logical to acknowledge that not all suburbs are the same.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2007, 02:54:58 PM »

End of year bump.

I love this thread just because of the brutal and extreme ownage Gully received.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2007, 03:03:41 PM »

Ah, one again, I'm posting from North Philly!  Hello!  I can afford other sections.  I don't want to.  Hello! 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2007, 03:06:44 PM »

According to dazzleman, that must mean you have some sort of mental illness.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2007, 03:14:25 PM »

According to dazzleman, that must mean you have some sort of mental illness.

Maybe, but I've fantasies about North Philadelphia since college.  Before I moved here, I vacationed here (which made for one of two interesting comments at my job interview).
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2007, 03:51:55 PM »

i am in a suburb right now !!! omg no!
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2007, 03:59:52 PM »

End of year bump.

I love this thread just because of the brutal and extreme ownage Gully received.

Roll Eyes

God you are so petty.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2008, 12:49:56 AM »

Born and raised in the inner city. I'll always live within a 20 minute walk of the city center, or in the bush. Never the suburbs.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2008, 07:50:09 AM »

I certainly wouldnt live in my definition of a suburb, although one could define my current home as being in a suburban area.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2008, 07:55:19 AM »

End of year bump.

Roll Eyes

God you are so petty.

As the person towards whom Gully made his incorrect assumptions, I'm going to have to agree with this sentiment.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2008, 08:05:36 AM »

Having read the thread all the way through, I fail to see how Gully was owned in any significant way.  What makes it funnier is when you look at some of the responses to your own posts here, or indeed in pretty much every other thread that you've ever posted in.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2008, 08:21:02 AM »

Having read the thread all the way through, I fail to see how Gully was owned in any significant way.  What makes it funnier is when you look at some of the responses to your own posts here, or indeed in pretty much every other thread that you've ever posted in.

Obviously, being shown to have been incorrect about something and then admitting error is complete and total ownage.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2008, 08:35:16 AM »

I'm way too lazy to see if I ever responded to this, so I'll just contribute now.

My three posters least likely to ever live in a suburb arrrreeeeeeeee.....

1.BRTD
2.BRTD
3.BRTD

The reason why is he probably can't afford now, nor ever will be able to, live in a suburb. 
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2008, 09:02:18 AM »

I'm way too lazy to see if I ever responded to this, so I'll just contribute now.

1.BRTD
2.BRTD
3.BRTD

The reason why is he probably can't afford now, nor ever will be able to, live in a suburb. 

It sounds like you think living in suburbia is exclusive and should be looked up to...maybe it's just cos ur from the ny area, but personally, I'd totally disagree with that sentiment.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2008, 03:09:04 PM »

Gully was owned the same way Naso often is when he says something blatantly incorrect and is immediately shot down, such as when he says that the 1968 and 1952 elections are proof America won't vote for an anti-war candidate.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2008, 05:12:43 PM »

I will never live in the suburbs either.  During my undergrad years I lived in a small town, but I prefer city life.  It depends on which city, though.    Suburban Cleveland--as much as it would majorly suck--will still be a hundred times better than inner-city Detroit.

Even when I get married and start a family, I will purchase a nice brownstone or condo somewhere and walk or take the subway to work since I am adamantly 100% against the commuter lifestyle.     
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2008, 06:32:44 PM »

May as well add my vote...

J.J.
afleitch?
memphis

I live in an 'arterial town' outside a large city (we are part of the metropolis though) However we don't really have this suburb=middle class distinction. You have a town thats been there for hundreds of years and you have the 'good' bits and the 'not so good' bits. In the city, particularly Glasgow, people live in the same 120 year old tenement building no matter if they are architects or factory workers.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2008, 09:30:27 PM »

Gully was owned the same way Naso often is when he says something blatantly incorrect and is immediately shot down, such as when he says that the 1968 and 1952 elections are proof America won't vote for an anti-war candidate.

He made an inaccurate statement due to having never seen anything that would have told him otherwise.  I really think you're the only one who cares.  It would be one thing if he did not admit error, but he immediately did... you know, kind of like how rational people operate.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2008, 09:49:28 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2008, 09:53:10 PM by Verily »

May as well add my vote...

J.J.
afleitch?
memphis

I live in an 'arterial town' outside a large city (we are part of the metropolis though) However we don't really have this suburb=middle class distinction. You have a town thats been there for hundreds of years and you have the 'good' bits and the 'not so good' bits. In the city, particularly Glasgow, people live in the same 120 year old tenement building no matter if they are architects or factory workers.

This is why I draw a distinction between so-called "old growth suburbs", where most of the homes are fifty years old or older, and "new growth suburbs". Old growth suburbs behave much like the community you describe whereas new growth suburbs are the stereotypical American suburbs. I live in an old growth suburb; my house is slightly more than a century old and the community is very diverse in economic and ethnic terms.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2008, 11:35:12 AM »

Born and raised in the inner city. I'll always live within a 20 minute walk of the city center, or in the bush. Never the suburbs.

Ok, there is 1........then i'll go for J.J. and Opie
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2008, 12:35:04 PM »

1.BRTD
2.BRTD
3.BRTD

It sounds like you think living in suburbia is exclusive and should be looked up to...maybe it's just cos ur from the ny area, but personally, I'd totally disagree with that sentiment.

No, I don't think that at all.  It's a joke. If you'd like, I can mark each post with a special sarcasm alert.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies