Did your high school have the recitation of the Pledge of Allegience?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 04:57:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Did your high school have the recitation of the Pledge of Allegience?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Did your high school have the recitation of the Pledge of Allegience?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Did your high school have the recitation of the Pledge of Allegience?  (Read 5270 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2007, 10:18:29 PM »

No. Neither did my middle school. In fact until coming here I thought it was like that EVERYWHERE and only elementary schools had it. Well if other such schools have it, I'm thankful mine didn't, although I'm sure it was more for practicality reasons than anything else. (There was no homeroom so it would have to be in the first period, most rooms didn't have an American flag, not everyone had a first period class, and if it did happen in first period lots of kids would just use that as an excuse to show up late.)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 03:49:48 PM »

"Yes". I never was in a school that didn't have it.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 03:56:25 PM »

Yes
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 04:08:42 PM »

It was abolished my senior year.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 04:09:10 PM »

Yes, but obviously you dont have to. I would say 10% of kids dont do it (Including myself)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 04:21:29 PM »

Unfortunately, I cannot remember, as its been 7 years since the start of my senior year (2000-2001), but I would lean to saying no, even though I live in the heart of the Bible Belt.  I wish and hope we did.  Everytime I did say or do say the Pledge, I always accent and say with pride "One Nation, Under GOD, with liberty and justice for all"
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 04:55:10 PM »

Unfortunately, I cannot remember, as its been 7 years since the start of my senior year (2000-2001), but I would lean to saying no, even though I live in the heart of the Bible Belt.  I wish and hope we did.  Everytime I did say or do say the Pledge, I always accent and say with pride "One Nation, Under GOD, with liberty and justice for all"

YEAH!  You show them heathen liberals how a string of words prove that you're the best American there is.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 05:03:04 PM »

YEAH!  You show them heathen liberals how a string of words prove that you're the best American there is.

---

Obviously I'm not in the US, but my HS does have a recording or O Canada every  first period and you need to stand up etc.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 05:10:16 PM »

I've got nothing to prove or anything to hide.  I'm not saying that I'm the best American there is, I'm just saying that I'm the best American I can be.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 05:10:58 PM »

Obviously I'm not in the US, but my HS does have a recording or O Canada every  first period and you need to stand up etc.

fascists
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 05:18:46 PM »

I've got nothing to prove or anything to hide.  I'm not saying that I'm the best American there is, I'm just saying that I'm the best American I can be.

What is the point of any kind of pledge if you have nothing to prove to anybody?  Also, how does reciting a string of words (adding emphasis to a particularly controversial part of it) prove anything at all?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 05:21:30 PM »

What is the point of any kind of pledge if you have nothing to prove to anybody?  Also, how does reciting a string of words (adding emphasis to a particularly controversial part of it) prove anything at all?

It clearly shows that he's willing to take on the fervent anti-American sixth-grader bastards at Tom Joad Junior High.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 05:41:53 PM »

No, thankfully; neither did my middle school nor my elementary school (in my district it was up to each individual school). In fact when my little sister's school recited it, I was surprised that the pledge was still being recited in so many classrooms.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 05:48:49 PM »

No and I never really thought it was recited all that much. We said it at some assemblies back in Middle School, but that was right after 9/11 so maybe they wanted to act patriotic or something, but it was never a daily occurence.
frihetsivrare
Volksliberalist

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -7.13

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 05:52:20 PM »

Sadly my high school does have the pledge of allegience.  I am not there in the morning so I can not do it this year.  Last year I never did it once.  In one class the teacher didn't care at all and in the other the teacher mentioned it a few times throughout the year.  The pledge is total BS to me, and not because of the god part, but because of the whole concept.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 06:02:45 PM »

Nope.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 06:10:57 PM »

No. Tongue

It also didn't have anything similar relating to Canada, either.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 06:12:35 PM »

Yes, before the announcements. My Physics teacher senior year never said "Under God" and neither did I. Ever. Sometimes he just taught through it.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 06:57:00 PM »

At every O Canada I somehow need to think on how awful Harper and Dion are.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 08:13:18 PM »

elementary and middle school-yes. High school-no
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 08:14:52 PM »

only on Mondays.  We were required to say it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 08:19:04 PM »

Texas state law says that students have to recite the American and Texas pledge once a day, followed by a moment of silence.

My high school teachers more or less completely stopped doing that after they realized it was a huge waste of time.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 08:40:36 PM »

It doesn't prove anything, I just do it because I am proud to be an American and a Christian (hence, the under God).  I try to recite the pledge of allegiance on my own every now and then, as well as sing the National Anthem and other patriotic songs, such as America the Beautiful, My Country Tis of Thee, Battle Hymn of the Republic, God Bless the USA, God Bless America (sometimes I combine the last two), all the songs of the 5 branches of the military (Navy, Air Force, Army, Marine Corp, Coast Guard), and others.

In fact, if it were not for my Tourette's Syndrome and my taking medication, I would have followed the men in my family and enlisted in the Navy right after high school.  In fact, I even visited with a recruiter near the end of my junior year of high school in 2000, but never followed up with him, because I had to go back on my medication.

It makes me so proud to boast about my country, and it saddens me deeply that my country, the greatest country on earth, is headed in the wrong direction.  Thats why I love politics so much, because I love this country, and I want to see it turn around and head back in the right direction.  I boast so much about Oklahoma, because I love this state, and I think it is one of the 50 best states in this country.  No state is better than the other, in my opinion.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 09:23:14 PM »

We did, along with a moment of silence afterwards.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007, 10:35:12 PM »

only on Mondays.  We were required to say it.

You can't be required. Anyone can sue the school over it and they wouldn't last 5 minutes in court.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies