Tom Tancredo Calls for Raid on Durbin's Press Conference
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:45:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Tom Tancredo Calls for Raid on Durbin's Press Conference
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Tom Tancredo Calls for Raid on Durbin's Press Conference  (Read 2718 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 24, 2007, 01:05:17 AM »

Candidate Calls for Raid on Immigration Bill Event

By JULIA PRESTON
Published: October 24, 2007
Representative Tom Tancredo of Colorado, a Republican presidential candidate whose fierce opposition to illegal immigration is the center of his campaign, contacted the immigration service yesterday demanding that agents raid a senator’s news conference.

The afternoon event on Capitol Hill was held by Senator Richard J. Durbin, Democrat of Illinois and the leading sponsor of a bill that would give legal status to illegal immigrants who are high school graduates, if they attend college or serve in the United States military for two years. The bill is scheduled to come up for an important procedural vote in the Senate this morning.

Mr. Tancredo announced yesterday morning that he had contacted Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the federal agency, calling for the arrest of illegal immigrants he said would attend the news conference.

“If we can’t enforce our laws inside the building where American laws are made, where can we enforce them?” Mr. Tancredo said in a statement.

Participating in the news conference were three immigrant students who would benefit if Mr. Durbin’s legislation passed; two were born in Germany, and one was from Costa Rica. All were in the United States on temporary legal status, said Joe Shoemaker, Mr. Durbin’s spokesman.

Mr. Shoemaker said the senator was surprised and offended by Mr. Tancredo’s effort.

“Congressman, have you no shame?” Mr. Durbin said in a statement, indirectly comparing Mr. Tancredo to Senator Joseph McCarthy and his anti-communist hearings in the 1950s.

A spokeswoman for the immigration agency, Kelly Nantel, confirmed that officials had received a letter from Mr. Tancredo and were reviewing it. She said the agency took no action yesterday.

And here are my thoughts on the subject, just excerpted from my blog post (http://inkslwc.wordpress.com/2007/10/24/go-get-em-mr-tancredo/) - yeah, I'm too lazy to type all of that over again:

whether or not there were illegals at the conference, this bill is SCARY!  You’re telling me that somebody can cross the border, enlist in the military and then become a citizen!  What’s the screening here?  Are we going to allow Arabs to do this - next we’ll have secret Al Qaeda agents infiltrating our ARMY!

But what if they just choose to graduate from high school?  Well, are we going to make them learn English, or will we compromise and begin offering Calculus classes in Spanish?  DO YOU SEE WHERE THIS WILL LEAD!  “Americans” will cease to be Americans!  It’s ridiculous.

And here’s a quote from the New York Times showing how liberally biased they are:

“Congressman, have you no shame?” Mr. Durbin said in a statement, indirectly comparing Mr. Tancredo to Senator Joseph McCarthy and his anti-communist hearings in the 1950s.  COME ON - how is this comparing Tancredo to McCarthy?  The NY Times is just promoting this liberal trash like Senator Durbin.

Kick the illegals out - so that we give the opportunities to the people who actually waited to become citizens.  Immigration is a great component of America, but when it is abused, it will lead to our downfall!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 01:09:33 AM »

Maybe they're hoping that they can randomly detain Durbin. The batsh**t crazy fascists have gotten encouraged now that they made Stark apologize for criticizing the President.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 02:20:21 AM »

Maybe they're hoping that they can randomly detain Durbin. The batsh**t crazy fascists have gotten encouraged now that they made Stark apologize for criticizing the President.

Stark didn't criticize the President - Stark attacked the President - amuzement by the death of our troops - it's insulting and distasteful.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 03:00:54 AM »

I oppose the bill, because it's just a way of increasing cannon fodder for Bush's illegal war.  Illegal immigrants should be given more options, or better yet, a complete blanket amnesty.

That being said, the idea that an Arab in the army automatically means we've been infiltrated by terrorists is shockingly ignorant and racist.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 03:30:08 AM »

I oppose the bill, because it's just a way of increasing cannon fodder for Bush's illegal war.  Illegal immigrants should be given more options, or better yet, a complete blanket amnesty.

That being said, the idea that an Arab in the army automatically means we've been infiltrated by terrorists is shockingly ignorant and racist.

Why the heck should illegeal immigrants be given amnesty?

And I never said that EVERY Arab is a terrorist - but just saying, "Hey, come join our army and become a citizen" - yeah, you're gonna get infiltration.  I'm not saying that there aren't whites in the military who shouldn't be there.  Your could argue that the USS Iowa was caused by a white - and that's what the Navy said, but that was bull crap.

Anyway - no sane general is going to tell you that allowing illegals into the army is a good thing.  You'll have Chinese and Arabs crawling all over the place, and then the end of the U.S.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 03:34:08 AM »

Anyway - no sane general is going to tell you that allowing illegals into the army is a good thing.  You'll have Chinese and Arabs crawling all over the place, and then the end of the U.S.

I'm gonna hope that was facetious.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 03:34:42 AM »

F***wit.

Keep hoping.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 03:36:42 AM »

I'm being overly-emphatic here - but you get the point - you DON'T put people who haven't been members of your country for years into your military.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 03:38:27 AM »

Let me quote for you what you just said again:

You'll have Chinese and Arabs crawling all over the place, and then the end of the U.S.

That was badly worded at best and... worse, at worst.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 03:53:06 AM »

Let me quote for you what you just said again:

You'll have Chinese and Arabs crawling all over the place, and then the end of the U.S.

That was badly worded at best and... worse, at worst.

Referring to inside of the military - keep it in context.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 04:34:38 AM »

You still referred to the idea of "Chinese and Arabs" "crawling all over the place" and causing the "end of the US", which kind of sounds like something that someone from a certain other segment of the population would say.

I presume you meant "Chinese and Arab spies" or something along those lines, but that isn't what you said.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 04:42:40 AM »

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 04:56:46 AM »

Because they are human beings.  The vast majority of illegal immigrants are not terrorists, they are not actual criminals, and they are not here to steal our jobs.  They are here precicely because of all of the propaganda distributed by people like you that "America is the best country in the world."

They want a better life for their families.  I'm happy to support that cause.

If the US military has good an intelligence strategy as conventional wisdom would have us believe, I doubt any 'infiltrators' would last long.  Do remember that a citizen born and raised in the United States is fully capable of terrorism, i.e. Timothy McVeigh, who incidentally was a veteran
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 07:24:44 AM »

The only ones I believe who should receive "amnesty" (or in reality, a green card) are those who came here legally but lost their status due to the mishandling of their paperwork by our government.  It is our responsibility to uphold our end of the contract, and if we fail to do so, the other party needs to be compensated.

As for those who entered the country illegally, those who committed a crime must be sent home.  The gray area is the remaining illegal alien population that came here illegally but haven't committed a crime.  In an ideal world, they too would be deported.  Unfortunately, such a process would be too large to do quickly; probably stretching out for a decade or more until they are all accounted for.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 11:23:25 AM »

You still referred to the idea of "Chinese and Arabs" "crawling all over the place" and causing the "end of the US", which kind of sounds like something that someone from a certain other segment of the population would say.

I presume you meant "Chinese and Arab spies" or something along those lines, but that isn't what you said.

No I didn't say the word spies - but up above I said Al Qaeda would infiltrate - you all knew what I meant.  Just because I didn't have the word "spies" in there doesn't mean you could figure it out.

I have no problem with a legal Arab who's proved himself in America in the army, just like I don't want some white druggy - point is - it's a bad policy that's unsafe for America.  And I said Arabs and Chinese because China and countries from the Middle East would most benefit from it.  Mexico isn't really on the verge of attacking America, so I doubt that they'd do anything to us in the Army, but it's still a bad policy.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 12:18:11 PM »

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 12:35:52 PM »

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 12:39:24 PM »

Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 03:20:32 PM »

No offense, but you're probably the most tactless poster on this site.

And your blog post excerpt sounds like something from the Colbert Report. It truly borders pm self-parody."Americans will cease to be Americans?" lol. Illegal immigration will lead to America's downfall? Are you kidding me? What it will (and has lead to) is merely the cheap exploitation of labor by corporations as our beloved politicians toe their delicate line, attempting to neither offend their corporate sponsors or legal immigrants. So bottom line, you have a continuation of the status-quo, which, I'm sure, is killing America.

And Al Qaeda isn't going to infiltrate the military because of this policy. After 9/11, they've become a rather decentralized organization, with most of their self-affiliated members having little connections outside their respective nations. Thus, were Al Qaeda to infiltrate the military,   it'd probably be done with 'home-grown' U.S. citizens. Even then, I'm sure we have some counter-intelligence assets to stop this kind of thing.

And I also notice you have an esoteric propensity of caring about the most trivial things. How does it affect you, or anyone else for that matter, if schools offer math classes in a foreign language? Does it hurt you or your peers in anyway? Does God kill a kitten every time a teacher teaches implicit differentiation in Spanish? Why on earth are you so authoritarian? I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but I don't quite understand your justification behind your viewpoints.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 04:45:25 PM »

Stark didn't criticize the President - Stark attacked the President - amuzement by the death of our troops - it's insulting and distasteful.

You're insulting and distasteful.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 07:04:35 PM »

Cada vez que alguien habla en español en los EEUU, Díos mata un gato. Por favor, piensa de los gatos. Wink
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 07:27:27 PM »

Ich mag die Mädel mit großen Brüsten aber Inks würde das nie verstehen, weil er einfach Furcht vor fremden Sachen hat und wird diesen Satz nicht übersetzen können... das wäre irgendwie anti-amerikanisch.  Aber weisst du was ich meine?  Ist ja wurscht!

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 08:52:45 PM »

[quote author=Fmr. Governor, Vice-Chair, & Queen Mum Inks.LWC
“Congressman, have you no shame?” Mr. Durbin said in a statement, indirectly comparing Mr. Tancredo to Senator Joseph McCarthy and his anti-communist hearings in the 1950s.  COME ON - how is this comparing Tancredo to McCarthy?  The NY Times is just promoting this liberal trash like Senator Durbin.
[/quote]

There are some similarities.  Both were hateful, hateful men who used terror to promote their ends and means, and neither one of them were fit to call themselves Americans, much less congressman.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 10:14:44 PM »

And I also notice you have an esoteric propensity of caring about the most trivial things. How does it affect you, or anyone else for that matter, if schools offer math classes in a foreign language? Does it hurt you or your peers in anyway? Does God kill a kitten every time a teacher teaches implicit differentiation in Spanish? Why on earth are you so authoritarian? I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but I don't quite understand your justification behind your viewpoints.

Because that's my taxpayer money going to a system that's already overly-funded and wastes HUGE amounts of money.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007, 10:15:35 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

There are some similarities.  Both were hateful, hateful men who used terror to promote their ends and means, and neither one of them were fit to call themselves Americans, much less congressman.

But how is it indirectly comparing the two?  I could compare him to George McGovern then - who was a terrible racist.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies