How will the Mississippi's Governors race play out.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:34:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How will the Mississippi's Governors race play out.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How will the Mississippi's Governors race play out.  (Read 6331 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 24, 2007, 11:42:07 PM »

Maps please.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 11:56:29 PM »

Mississippi maps are no fun.

White counties = blue
Black counties = red
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 12:43:46 AM »

White counties = blue
Black counties = red

You don't think that Eaves's Jesus crap will persuade any whites?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 10:59:54 AM »

White counties = blue
Black counties = red

Eaves will flip a few counties that are a slim-majority white.

I think he may get more than a few. Mississippi gubernatorial races are usually highly competitive.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 11:09:07 AM »

White counties = blue
Black counties = red

I hate that picture you have...such a horrible game. We Tigers have turned things around since. This weekend is Ole Miss vs. Auburn at Auburn. I'm assuming you are a MS state fan?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 12:20:05 PM »

White counties = blue
Black counties = red

I think he may get more than a few. Mississippi gubernatorial races are usually highly competitive.

I'm sure I'll take hell for this post in the form of a sharply worded chide from Harry, but honestly, there's really been little evidence that I've seen indicating that this race is competitive in the slightest.  The few clues I get—namely a significantly weaker Dem slate than was run in 2003 and a significant Barbour fundraising advantage—don't exactly point to this race being close.

I keep looking at this race, and I keep seeing Bush/Kerry numbers.  We'll see.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 02:06:21 PM »

I hate that picture you have...such a horrible game. We Tigers have turned things around since. This weekend is Ole Miss vs. Auburn at Auburn. I'm assuming you are a MS state fan?
Oh yeah.  I'm a student at MSU and a lifelong football fan....this whole decade has been indescribably awful, and it looks like we may finally be looking up.  I am a member of the marching band and go to all the road games I can.  I was there at Jordan-Hare that day and watching Brandon Cox's 4th and goal pass hit the ground harmlessly is probably one of the top 10 memories of my life.  To be in the sliver of the stadium of MSU fans going orgasmically wild and looking around at 80,000 stunned Tiger fans was amazing.

It should be closer than Bush/Kerry for sure.  Barbour will probably slightly improve on his 2003 % and get around 53-54%.  Eaves is a good candidate for a Mississippi Democrat and should keep it close, but I just don't see him taking down the Barbour juggernaught, unfortunately.  It doesn't help that our downballot candidates aren't particularly strong outside of lt. gov. and insurance commish.
Don't let fundraising numbers fool you...Eaves isn't raising money but self-financing his campaign entirely, and using it as a campaign point to show how he's not in anyone's pocket.

How do you tink the state House and Senate races will turn out?  What will the new legislature look like?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 02:31:05 PM »

Don't let fundraising numbers fool you...Eaves isn't raising money but self-financing his campaign entirely, and using it as a campaign point to show how he's not in anyone's pocket.

Poor fundraising is a sign of poor organization and poor institutional support.  If people don't think you can win, people don't open up their purse to you.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 02:34:37 PM »

Perhaps the DSCC will recruit Eaves to run against Thad Cochran in 2008?  However, two statewide losses in two years might doom his prospects for ever getting elected to anything in Mississippi. 
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 04:28:05 PM »

How closely did you follow the 2003 race?
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 10:41:57 PM »

Oh yeah.  I'm a student at MSU and a lifelong football fan....this whole decade has been indescribably awful, and it looks like we may finally be looking up.  I am a member of the marching band and go to all the road games I can.  I was there at Jordan-Hare that day and watching Brandon Cox's 4th and goal pass hit the ground harmlessly is probably one of the top 10 memories of my life.  To be in the sliver of the stadium of MSU fans going orgasmically wild and looking around at 80,000 stunned Tiger fans was amazing.

Yeah, things really started out rough for us this year, including the MS state game. That was the first game Tubby put Kodi Burns in. Of course being his first game, he was pretty nervous...then he puts Cox back in, and what does he do...yeah...blows the game for us. Congrats on beating Kentucky...WOW! Who do you all play this coming weekend?

It should be closer than Bush/Kerry for sure.  Barbour will probably slightly improve on his 2003 % and get around 53-54%.  Eaves is a good candidate for a Mississippi Democrat and should keep it close, but I just don't see him taking down the Barbour juggernaught, unfortunately.  It doesn't help that our downballot candidates aren't particularly strong outside of lt. gov. and insurance commish.
CavanaughPark
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 6.06, S: 0.35

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 06:05:04 PM »

Perhaps the DSCC will recruit Eaves to run against Thad Cochran in 2008?  However, two statewide losses in two years might doom his prospects for ever getting elected to anything in Mississippi. 
I'm pretty sure the state party has chosen to make the serious play for the 3rd district House seat (Pickering is retiring) instead of the senate seat.

Unless Cochran retires, that is, then Mike Moore steps in and is the favorite.

Sorry, but no Democrat is the favorite in an open Senate seat in Mississippi.

WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 06:33:20 PM »

i hope haley barbour, a fine man and great servant of the masses, will crack 60%
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 12:19:25 AM »

How closely did you follow the 2003 race?

And why did Ronnie Musgrove lose? I followed that race at the time but I've forgotten the details now. Except that Haley Barbour likes IHOP and Denny's too much. I'm not trying to be mean just for the sake of it, but can anyone think of a fatter elected State official (besides Ted Kennedy, who the right has this boring obsession with). I'm sure he's not alone.

The big political news that month for me (Nov. 2003) was Howard Dean's choice whether to forgo public financing, and why his poll numbers were still so low nationwide. I was very glad that Blanco won Louisiana. In hindsight, it would have been better if Jindal had won then, so he'd be blamed for the Katrina mess (which would have been just as bad under him).

That reminds me. Its the Atlas Forum's 4th Anniversary.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 12:54:08 AM »

In hindsight, it would have been better if Jindal had won then, so he'd be blamed for the Katrina mess (which would have been just as bad under him).

In hindsight, it would have been better if the mess hadn't been as bad.  And the school buses hadn't just sat there.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 01:25:36 AM »

In hindsight, it would have been better if Jindal had won then, so he'd be blamed for the Katrina mess (which would have been just as bad under him).

In hindsight, it would have been better if the mess hadn't been as bad.  And the school buses hadn't just sat there.

We'll never know. Blanco could have made the call to use the buses, but it was Ray Nagin's job first. He failed, yet was re-elected (partly due to the fact that Mitch Landrieu was perceived as a social liberal).

The National Review had a picture of those buses on its cover, the week after the storm. Conservatives seem to cling to that one detail of the whole Katrina disaster, and forget almost everything else. Such as, the National Guard being in Iraq instead of allowed to help in Louisiana.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 07:48:57 AM »

Eaves with 73%
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 03:24:32 PM »

Typical Republican bias. It obviously Eaves with 88%.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 03:25:31 PM »

Eaves 88% + 100% support from Jesus
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2007, 03:49:07 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Without using hindsight I'd say it's pretty f'cking disgusting to use a disasterous situation to advantage a political situation.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2007, 04:48:03 PM »

Barbour will win easily, and with 58 to 59% of the vote. 
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2007, 09:39:26 PM »

We'll never know. Blanco could have made the call to use the buses, but it was Ray Nagin's job first. He failed, yet was re-elected (partly due to the fact that Mitch Landrieu was perceived as a social liberal).

The National Review had a picture of those buses on its cover, the week after the storm. Conservatives seem to cling to that one detail of the whole Katrina disaster, and forget almost everything else. Such as, the National Guard being in Iraq instead of allowed to help in Louisiana.

Yeah, see, I don't know if things would have been any better with Jindal as Governor during Katrina, but I have a pretty good reason to believe it couldn't have been any worse.  Blanco was an unmitigated disaster.

I'd take the blind trade any day of the week.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2007, 10:18:37 PM »

Barbour (R) 54.75% / Eaves (D) 45.25%

Dave
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2007, 01:29:44 AM »

Prediction:

Barbour: 56%
Eaves: 44%
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2007, 02:18:25 AM »

Barbour: 55.5%
Eaves: 44.5%

Isn't there some Mississippi law that says they must also win a majority of the House districts or something? Is there an outside possibility that Eaves could get a majority of those?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies