So much for running a competitive campaign in North Carolina
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:15:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  So much for running a competitive campaign in North Carolina
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: So much for running a competitive campaign in North Carolina  (Read 4845 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 24, 2007, 11:54:29 PM »

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/1954706/
Conan
conan

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 12:07:41 AM »
« Edited: October 25, 2007, 12:12:12 AM by Conan »

Jesus, the society we live in. This shouldnt even be in consideration.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Interesting. I suppose this is why some people say its a choice.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 12:13:46 AM »

The Republicans need SOME good news.  I don't want them to be totally shut out for the second straight election.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 12:18:32 AM »

I don't want them to be totally shut out for the second straight election.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 12:19:57 AM »

Be  good... he's recalcatrant, but we need him....and just because one candidate will be discriminated against doesn't mean our campaign there will be sunk by it if he does not win the priimary though we do need to figure out how to beat this homophobia thing.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 12:21:12 AM »

It would make a difference to me.  Besides, I know for a fact it is a choice.  The Bible says God created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.  If God created every human being and he made them in His image, and He is not gay, then there is not a single soul on the face of this earth that ever lived or lives today or that will live in the future that has been born gay.  It just doesn't happen.  I am correct about that, too.  I know I am right, not because I said so, but thats what God's Word says.  It doesn't matter if you believe that or not, because ITS THE TRUTH.

There is a saying that says "The Bible said it, I believe it, and that settles it.".  I like to rephrase that, "The Bible said it and that settles it, so I believe it."
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 12:23:19 AM »

That doesn't make sense.  Just because I don't want the Republicans to be shut out, doesn't mean that I am a Republican.  Also, jsut because I think homosexuality is a pure choice doesn't mean that I'm not a Democrat.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 12:33:27 AM »

Well if you belong to a party, you want them to win every election possible.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 12:38:22 AM »

It would make a difference to me.  Besides, I know for a fact it is a choice.  The Bible says God created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.  If God created every human being and he made them in His image, and He is not gay, then there is not a single soul on the face of this earth that ever lived or lives today or that will live in the future that has been born gay.  It just doesn't happen.  I am correct about that, too.  I know I am right, not because I said so, but thats what God's Word says.  It doesn't matter if you believe that or not, because ITS THE TRUTH.

There is a saying that says "The Bible said it, I believe it, and that settles it.".  I like to rephrase that, "The Bible said it and that settles it, so I believe it."

So, God must have cancer since some people have cancer and they are made in his image. Ditto for AIDS, learning disabilities, deformities, etc.

Since you're all about believing in the Bible, make sure to stone adulterers, wear clothes of only one fabric, and marry your brother's wife if he dies before producing an heir
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 12:40:51 AM »

Not necessarily.  I am a true Democrat, but I don't want them, for example, to control the House, the Senate, AND the White House.  I don't like monopolies like that from either party.  I never liked that when I was a Republican.  However, given the crop of Republican candidates in this year's race, then I will vote Democrat, unless Mike Huckabee is on the other side.  Also, it is not sacrilegious to vote for someone of the other party.  I generally vote for the person anyway, not the party.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 12:59:46 AM »

So, God must have cancer since some people have cancer and they are made in his image. Ditto for AIDS, learning disabilities, deformities, etc.

Since you're all about believing in the Bible, make sure to stone adulterers, wear clothes of only one fabric, and marry your brother's wife if he dies before producing an heir

I got an e-mail the other day where a Christian college student was talking to his atheist professor at the beginning of the semester of a science class after the professor started questioning the man's faith.  The man (college student) responded "Does darkness exist? No, it doesn't.  Darkness is the absence of light, but it is just the term we use when there is no light.  Does cold exist?  No, it doesn't.  Cold is the absence of heat.  Even absolute zero is the lack of heat.  Cold is just the term we use when there is no heat.  Does evil exist?  No.  Evil is the absence of God.  Satan came from God, but he is Evil because he is absent from God."  God does not have cancer or any disease, but he does allow these things to come upon people to A) test their faith and B) sin runs rampant in society.  Not all disease is the result of one's sin, though.

In terms of stoning adulterers, have you never read what Jesus said to the religious leaders who wanted to stone the woman accused of adultery?  He said "then, let he who is without sin among you, cast the first stone".  They all backed away, why?, because they were all sinful.

I don't believe, and most Christians, don't believe that the clothes you wear makes a difference, and the Bible is not implying that it does.  That was just what the Old Testament people wore, because that was all there was at the time.

Marrying your brother's wife was under the old covenant.  When Jesus died and rose again, he authored a new covenant.

Also, some people may ask, "If God is so good, then why does He allow evil?"  The answer is, FREE WILL.  He knows what we're going to do and what's going to happen to us before we do, but He also did not make us to be robots.  We have the free will to choose him or not to choose him.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 01:01:11 AM »

What makes you qualified, exactly, to speculate on the sexual orientation of God?  I mean, is our Lord and Creator really f***ing chicks up there in heaven?  I mean, seriously?  God is STRAIGHT?  The hell?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 01:25:43 AM »

The whole "free will" + God is all-knowing and all-seeing thing never made a lot of sense to me. How can we have free will if God already knows what we're going to do?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 01:33:42 AM »

The whole "free will" + God is all-knowing and all-seeing thing never made a lot of sense to me. How can we have free will if God already knows what we're going to do?

I don't understand it either.  None of us really understand God.  We, me included, try to put God into this little box or this little billfold that we can stick in our back pocket.  He's too big for that.  We cannot put him into finite terms.  He is an infinite God who has always been and always will be.  Thats the wonderful thing about Him.  He keeps us learning more and more every time we talk to him or read His Word.  We will never know everything there is to know until those who believe in Him will go home to heaven to be with Him, and even then, we may not know everything.  What we do know on this earth in our little feeble minds doesn't even scratch the surface of who He is.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 01:53:59 AM »

I don't understand it either.  None of us really understand God.  We, me included, try to put God into this little box or this little billfold that we can stick in our back pocket.  He's too big for that.  We cannot put him into finite terms.  He is an infinite God who has always been and always will be.  Thats the wonderful thing about Him.  He keeps us learning more and more every time we talk to him or read His Word.  We will never know everything there is to know until those who believe in Him will go home to heaven to be with Him, and even then, we may not know everything.  What we do know on this earth in our little feeble minds doesn't even scratch the surface of who He is.

So you just admitted that no one really knows anything about God and his wisdom, including yourself, yet you are willing to swear in his name that homosexuality is a choice and not biologically predetermined?  Does anyone else see the complete contradiction here?  You can't have it both ways.  You can't know something for a fact about God and then turn around and say you don't understand him.

God can't possibly be a sexual being anyways so to assert that he is homo- or heterosexual is ridiculous.  God is asexual and the only reason he's referred to as a "he" is because people were horribly sexist during the time in which the Bible was written.  What purpose would sex serve to God?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 02:02:30 AM »

It would make a difference to me.  Besides, I know for a fact it is a choice.  The Bible says God created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.  If God created every human being and he made them in His image, and He is not gay, then there is not a single soul on the face of this earth that ever lived or lives today or that will live in the future that has been born gay.  It just doesn't happen.  I am correct about that, too.  I know I am right, not because I said so, but thats what God's Word says.  It doesn't matter if you believe that or not, because ITS THE TRUTH.

By the same token, you have successfully argued that black people are unnatural and should not be allowed to marry.

Kudos.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 02:04:30 AM »

So you just admitted that no one really knows anything about God and his wisdom, including yourself, yet you are willing to swear in his name that homosexuality is a choice and not biologically predetermined?  Does anyone else see the complete contradiction here?  You can't have it both ways.  You can't know something for a fact about God and then turn around and say you don't understand him.

God can't possibly be a sexual being anyways so to assert that he is homo- or heterosexual is ridiculous.  God is asexual and the only reason he's referred to as a "he" is because people were horribly sexist during the time in which the Bible was written.  What purpose would sex serve to God?

On the other hand, people are willing to swear that homosexuality is not a choice.  Interesting.  What makes them think they know how God operates any more than any one else.

I just go with what the Bible tells me, and it says in Leviticus 18:22 "Do not lie with mankind as with womankind", meaning don't even think about having sex with another of the same gender.  This makes me believe if God doesn't want one to do it, then he made it a choice, so they can choose not to do it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 02:08:51 AM »

It would make a difference to me.  Besides, I know for a fact it is a choice.  The Bible says God created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.  If God created every human being and he made them in His image, and He is not gay, then there is not a single soul on the face of this earth that ever lived or lives today or that will live in the future that has been born gay.  It just doesn't happen.  I am correct about that, too.  I know I am right, not because I said so, but thats what God's Word says.  It doesn't matter if you believe that or not, because ITS THE TRUTH.

By the same token, you have successfully argued that black people are unnatural and should not be allowed to marry.

Kudos.

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa!!!!  I do not believe that for an instant.  I don't know what I said that made you think that I said that or implied that.  Please point it out to me.  There is an old Christian childrens song that says "Red, Yellow, Black, and White, All are precious in His sight.  Jesus loves the little children of the world."  They are definitely just as qualified to marry as whites.  No difference.  For me, when I look at somebody, I don't even see their color.  I see them for who they are.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 02:13:31 AM »

Kudos.

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa!!!!  I do not believe that for an instant.  I don't know what I said that made you think that I said that or implied that.  Please point it out to me.  There is an old Christian childrens song that says "Red, Yellow, Black, and White, All are precious in His sight.  Jesus loves the little children of the world."  They are definitely just as qualified to marry as whites.  No difference.  For me, when I look at somebody, I don't even see their color.  I see them for who they are.

Well, if God literally makes people in his image and if he has a defined appearance and set of attributes, then there must be one single ideal human such that other humans aren't as much as like God as that person, since humans don't look identical to each other.  And for that matter, God must be both female and male at the same time.  Or maybe females aren't human.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 02:18:12 AM »

Kudos.

Well, if God literally makes people in his image and if he has a defined appearance and set of attributes, then there must be one single ideal human such that other humans aren't as much as like God as that person.  And for that matter, God must be both female and male at the same time.  Or maybe females aren't human.

Okay, now you're just being silly.

When the Bible says "made in His image" it doesn't mean physically.  It means with His thought patterns and action patterns.  God is not a man.  He is a Spirit.  Hence the word, "spiritual".  The word "He" is referred to as the masculine "father" figure.  He is our Father, but yet is not a man.  Again, we cannot understand God.  And, to think that we've figured him out is a lie that we've just told ourselves.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 02:22:03 AM »
« Edited: October 25, 2007, 02:23:43 AM by SoFA Gabu »

Okay, now you're just being silly.

When the Bible says "made in His image" it doesn't mean physically.  It means with His thought patterns and action patterns.  God is not a man.  He is a Spirit.  Hence the word, "spiritual".  The word "He" is referred to as the masculine "father" figure.  He is our Father, but yet is not a man.  Again, we cannot understand God.  And, to think that we've figured him out is a lie that we've just told ourselves.

You basically said the following above:

1. God makes all people in his image.
2. God is not gay.
3. Therefore, all humans are not (inherently) gay.

You basically directly asserted that humans' lack of "gayness" comes directly from God's lack of "gayness".  So would it not logically follow that other facets of humans also come directly from qualities God possesses, such as personality, appearance, etc.?  And if not, then what is so special about sexual orientation?

Also, if God is spiritual with no corporeal form, then how can one even say anything about his sexual orientation?  Doesn't one need, you know, potential sexual interests before the concept of one's sexual orientation becomes at all meaningful?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 02:24:22 AM »

On the other hand, people are willing to swear that homosexuality is not a choice.  Interesting.  What makes them think they know how God operates any more than any one else.

Well, I'm willing to swear that my homosexuality is not a choice.  It has nothing to do with "knowing God."  More to do with "knowing myself."

You know.  The part where guys cause erections and women don't.

I am assuming then, that you are attracted to both men and women, but make the concious decision to only have sex with women, cause that's what God wants you to do.

You can argue that homosexuality is wrong all you want.  I think that pedophelia is wrong, but I also strongly doubt that's a "choice."  People don't choose to be attracted to people with blond hair, or women with large breasts, or someone who spends 12 hours a day in the gym.  It happens because of our genetic preprogramming.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 02:51:01 AM »

It would make a difference to me.  Besides, I know for a fact it is a choice.  The Bible says God created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.

Very original!  You should copyright that before someone else uses and popularizes it.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 02:52:16 AM »
« Edited: October 25, 2007, 02:55:52 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Not necessarily.  I am a true Democrat, but I don't want them, for example, to control the House, the Senate, AND the White House.  I don't like monopolies like that from either party.  I never liked that when I was a Republican.  However, given the crop of Republican candidates in this year's race, then I will vote Democrat, unless Mike Huckabee is on the other side.  Also, it is not sacrilegious to vote for someone of the other party.  I generally vote for the person anyway, not the party.

Why the hell not? If they had all 3, maybe one of the branches wouldn't be effectively run by the far right-wing like all 3 are now.  Because the Democratic party spans almost the entire political spectrum, it really doesn't matter if they're technically in control of everything, they'll find a way to hinder themselves, anyways.

For President, I want someone who can stand up to Congress. If we get a sane President, then we only need 146 sane House members to prevent batsh**t crazy legislation from being passed.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2007, 03:21:24 AM »

I just go with what the Bible tells me, and it says in Leviticus 18:22 "Do not lie with mankind as with womankind", meaning don't even think about having sex with another of the same gender.  This makes me believe if God doesn't want one to do it, then he made it a choice, so they can choose not to do it.

On the last page, you dismissed the law of the Old Testament, saying that Jesus did away with it. Why would this matter then? You can't have it both ways. You can either accept all the outrageous things in Leviticus (including an entire chapter on how to cleanse yourself after ejaculation) or say it's all out the window.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies