Will abortion ever be settled?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:17:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Will abortion ever be settled?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Will abortion ever be settled?
Yes, in the next few years, no one will argue that abortion is not muder.

Yes, in the next few years, Roe v. Wade will no longer have a vialbe opposition.

Yes, legal abortion will one day will be considered a dangerous idea....but the pro-choice movement will be viable for a few more decades.

Choice is here to stay, but it won't be out of the woods for decades.

Abortion will be banned and forgotten, but choice will be here when I die.

Choice is here to stay, but a strong pro-life movment will outlive me.

Until our country is partitioned or loses its indepence , we will always have a strong  seemingly give and take abortion debate.

Technology will take care of it before there is much change.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Will abortion ever be settled?  (Read 4390 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2007, 04:47:07 PM »

No, I don't see it ever receding as an issue so long as we remain a strongly religious nation, regardless of whether Roe v. Wade is overturned or not (though it would help if it were).
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2007, 06:35:35 PM »

THis is, frankly, a wortless poll with too many too detailed options to be answered. To answer it briefly, no, abortion will never be settled because it's a grey moral area where reasonable people will always be of two minds and unreasonable people will choose to pick one side or the other. Basically, I think most people with something of a moral compass recognize that an abortion is a bad thing but also recognize that forcing women to have unwanted children is also a bad thing. What to make of all that policy-wise is hard to tell.

^^^^^^^^
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2007, 06:49:32 PM »

Hopefully abortion will go the way of slavery (though without anyone starting a war over it).

Could have slavery have gone without a fight?
Certainly.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2007, 10:10:19 AM »

The reason why I ask this poll is because there was about a hundred years where abortion really was settled against it, though it did thrive on the mob scene. Abortion in itself really isn't going to change regardless if it is. Some things that could be changed is how fast technology advances or how good social cohesion is. Spending could be affected if we have to hire more police or have more investagations. People might lose confidence in the public safety/criminal justice system.  It could also isolate the United States from its broader civilization, if its consensus goes against the grain of the rest of anglosphere.- That's my biggest concern- the idea that the United States may become isolated and lose its base. What's wierd is that's what pro-lifers argue.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2007, 07:37:58 PM »

Hopefully abortion will go the way of slavery (though without anyone starting a war over it).

Could have slavery have gone without a fight?
Certainly.
Brazil did it so it's doable.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2007, 07:40:55 PM »

A poll taken in my school showed that 60% were opposed or mostly opposed to abortion while i think 34% supported the right to it.

Marriage for homosexuals was also supported 68 or 69%
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2007, 12:28:04 AM »

It could also isolate the United States from its broader civilization, if its consensus goes against the grain of the rest of anglosphere.

You act as if that hasn't already happened. Tongue
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2007, 03:07:12 PM »

A poll taken in my school showed that 60% were opposed or mostly opposed to abortion while i think 34% supported the right to it.

Yeah, you seem to be in an interesting little community...

I don't know how that would work.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2007, 03:10:26 PM »

Yeah, you seem to be in an interesting little community...

I don't know how that would work.

I know it weird. Bay City Is a economically liberal city but a socially conservative. One thing, however, that parents did not apparently pass on to their children was their prejudice towards gays.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2007, 03:12:30 PM »

Option six is closest to the truth.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2007, 03:14:18 PM »

Yeah. That's pretty interesting. Nationally, this is a trend. So far, the 18-30's emulate society as a whole on abortion while support for gays surges amongst that group. Actually, the most conservative group are 31-54 year olds in terms of abortion AND gay marriage. The most liberal group is 55-70.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2007, 11:11:17 PM »

I don't think it'll ever truly be settled, but eventually both sides will realize their overall goals are not as different as they think, at least if we can ever get the voices of sanity on both sides to actually be heard instead of just the extremists.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2007, 11:13:12 PM »

I don't think it'll ever truly be settled, but eventually both sides will realize their overall goals are not as different as they think, at least if we can ever get the voices of sanity on both sides to actually be heard instead of just the extremists.

Which extremists are these? Those that feel that a woman should have a right to have a partial birth abortion to save her own life?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2007, 11:15:48 PM »

Yes - once the human race inevitably destroys itself, nobody will give a damn anymore.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2007, 11:16:28 PM »

Which extremists are these? Those that feel that a woman should have a right to have a partial birth abortion to save her own life?

No. On the left, I'd classify extremists as those who actually feel abortion is a good thing overall, or at least of no emotional consequence whatsoever to the mother. It's really more about attitude than actual positions.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2007, 11:23:05 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2007, 11:25:39 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

No. On the left, I'd classify extremists as those who actually feel abortion is a good thing overall, or at least of no emotional consequence whatsoever to the mother. It's really more about attitude than actual positions.

Well, everyone in the category I just described suffered a huge defeat. The right-wing propaganda outfits that pass as media didn't help. Women in Manhattan, Boston, San Francisco, and Berkeley can't get a partial birth abortion to save their life thanks to the batsh**t crazy extremists who run our federal government. 

We need to dispell the myth that the anti-abortionists are going to stop at striking down a 35 year old court ruling that has already been struken down.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2007, 09:59:46 AM »

Part of the problem is that extremists (of both sides) refuse to acknowledge that they are, in fact, extremists and view the other side (writ large, obviously) as being evil, insane and/or both.

An even bigger problem is that these people have a lot of money. Which, in the States more than most other Western countries, means tha they have a lot of political power and influence.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2007, 02:35:48 PM »

Option 3 - but it'll be a LONG time.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »