Oklahoma Congressional District Races for 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:14:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Oklahoma Congressional District Races for 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oklahoma Congressional District Races for 2008  (Read 640 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 25, 2007, 11:05:34 AM »

Now, before I go any further, let me say that Oklahoma is very unlikely to switch parties, especially in the House, just unlikely in the Senate, and slightly possible in the Presidential race.

However, that won't stop me from supporting the Democrats in this state.  In Oklahoma Congressional District 4, Republican Tom Cole (also the chair of the NRCC) does have a general election opponent.  This campaign is just getting going in District 4, but it will definitely build and get a lot stronger.  Whether or not it has the capacity to defeat Tom Cole remains to be seen, but I'm not going to hold my breath.  The man's name is Democrat Kevin Hopkins, ex-Norman City Councilman.

There is also a race in District 5 (my district).  Now, I like the current Republican in there right now.  She is doing a great job, IMO.  She, of course, is former Lt. Governor Mary Fallin.  However, there is a Democrat that already has his eyes on the seat.  Again, its doubtful, and I'm not holding my breath.  His name is Democrat Bert Smith.  The main reason its doubtful is not the D next to his name, but he was a 2004 and 2006 candidate, meaning he's had 2 unsuccessful runs.

I'm torn on District 5 right now, regardless of what its expected to do.  Of course, we still have 9 months until our state primary, so I have time to decide.  I like Mary Fallin, but I also want the Democrat to take over.  Hopefully, someone more credible will look very seriously at the race, but I wouldn't be disappointed if Mary Fallin keeps her seat.

Districts 1, 2, and 3 are unopposed currently.  Republican John Sullivan of District 1, Democrat Dan Boren of District 2, and Republican Frank Lucas of District 3 are all extremely safe no matter who they run.

The more I look at the Senate race, the more I'm saddened to see Jim Inhofe, despite being extremely unpopular in Oklahoma, will probably cruise to a pretty convincing win.  I'm not counting Andrew Rice out, yet, especially given Inhofe's unpopularity, but I'm losing hope.  One reason, Inhofe has DEEP, DEEP pockets and Rice has just deep pockets.

For now, until I see more evidence, I'm going to put Oklahoma back in the lean-GOP column for President.  It is definitely not safe GOP, but the Democrats are going to have a tough, yet very possible, time, just because it is Oklahoma.  The Democrats can win Oklahoma if they just try.  The Republican nominee won't win with any more than 53-54% of the vote, however.  While it may still remain GOP, it will probably have one of the biggest swings to the Democrats in the nation.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 02:19:14 PM »

The more I look at the Senate race, the more I'm saddened to see Jim Inhofe, despite being extremely unpopular in Oklahoma, will probably cruise to a pretty convincing win.  I'm not counting Andrew Rice out, yet, especially given Inhofe's unpopularity, but I'm losing hope.  One reason, Inhofe has DEEP, DEEP pockets and Rice has just deep pockets.

Seldom do you hear folk with net positive approval ratings given the tag "extremely unpopular."
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 03:49:45 PM »

Now, before I go any further, let me say that Oklahoma is very unlikely to switch parties, especially in the House, just unlikely in the Senate, and slightly possible in the Presidential race.

However, that won't stop me from supporting the Democrats in this state.  In Oklahoma Congressional District 4, Republican Tom Cole (also the chair of the NRCC) does have a general election opponent.  This campaign is just getting going in District 4, but it will definitely build and get a lot stronger.  Whether or not it has the capacity to defeat Tom Cole remains to be seen, but I'm not going to hold my breath.  The man's name is Democrat Kevin Hopkins, ex-Norman City Councilman.

There is also a race in District 5 (my district).  Now, I like the current Republican in there right now.  She is doing a great job, IMO.  She, of course, is former Lt. Governor Mary Fallin.  However, there is a Democrat that already has his eyes on the seat.  Again, its doubtful, and I'm not holding my breath.  His name is Democrat Bert Smith.  The main reason its doubtful is not the D next to his name, but he was a 2004 and 2006 candidate, meaning he's had 2 unsuccessful runs.

I'm torn on District 5 right now, regardless of what its expected to do.  Of course, we still have 9 months until our state primary, so I have time to decide.  I like Mary Fallin, but I also want the Democrat to take over.  Hopefully, someone more credible will look very seriously at the race, but I wouldn't be disappointed if Mary Fallin keeps her seat.

Districts 1, 2, and 3 are unopposed currently.  Republican John Sullivan of District 1, Democrat Dan Boren of District 2, and Republican Frank Lucas of District 3 are all extremely safe no matter who they run.

For now, until I see more evidence, I'm going to put Oklahoma back in the lean-GOP column for President.  It is definitely not safe GOP, but the Democrats are going to have a tough, yet very possible, time, just because it is Oklahoma.  The Democrats can win Oklahoma if they just try.  The Republican nominee won't win with any more than 53-54% of the vote, however.  While it may still remain GOP, it will probably have one of the biggest swings to the Democrats in the nation.

Im surprised Democrats are not going harder after Cole in OK-04 in 2008.  He only won narrowly in 2002 when it was an open seat and a good GOP year.  The Democrats still have a more than two to one registration advantage in the district and a good Democratic opponent could run a populist campaign against him saying that he cares more about Washington interests than his own district. 
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 04:08:53 PM »

Seldom do you hear folk with net positive approval ratings given the tag "extremely unpopular."

Survey USA Senate approval ratings for Inhofe last month:

Approve: 47%
Disapprove: 41%
Unsure: 12%

Sure being under 50% is bad for an incumbent but his net is still +6 and there are 12% of people who are "Inhofe Neutral."  I think its pretty hard to argue that he is "extremely unpopular" when he has a positive net approval rating.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 04:32:19 PM »

I think its pretty hard to argue that he is "extremely unpopular" when he has a positive net approval rating.

Nowhere near as hard as to argue Hillary has a "tough, yet very possible, time" to carry Oklahoma.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies