Should pop/soda machines be allowed in schools?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:34:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should pop/soda machines be allowed in schools?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should pop/soda machines be allowed in schools?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Should pop/soda machines be allowed in schools?  (Read 15804 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 27, 2007, 01:56:45 AM »

Yes, and they should be on as long as the school is open. My high school had them but they were turned off during lunch.

And I never got why you couldn't drink in class. In college drinking in class is universally accepted.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 03:05:42 AM »

Yes they should. However at my school, due to Government regulations they are only able to sell the Diet variaties of soft drink. None of the good stuff is available. My High School is really dodgy, they keep on selling out of date drinks for half the price and wouldn't give me a refund, once I found out it was expired. Bloody bastards.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 04:53:47 AM »

No. Of course not.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 05:41:15 AM »

Well, allowing it would show much schools actually care about their children or not. Not in favour of course.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 11:15:37 AM »

don't really care.  but what is absurd is the policy in my school/state.  soda can't be sold before the close of school, but it's ok for Snapple to be sold.  I really don't understand that, at all - they're the same thing, one is just water and sugar, the other carbonated water and sugar.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 12:03:50 PM »

Yes, and they should be on as long as the school is open. My high school had them but they were turned off during lunch.

And I never got why you couldn't drink in class. In college drinking in class is universally accepted.
definitely
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 12:51:33 PM »

What kind of a fascist high school did you go to?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 01:00:45 PM »

Is that allowed at your's? I kind of assumed it wasn't allowed anywhere.

My high school wasn't as bad as my middle school though. That had two VERY stupid rules:

1-You couldn't visit your locker whenever you wanted, only during special designated "locker breaks". Of course this wasn't very convenient if you had a bunch of classes all involving large heavy books next to each other, but it didn't matter. I don't understand the reasoning behind this either. To keep the halls clearer? But I don't see how packing everyone into them at once during the breaks makes this much better.

2-The dumbest rule, which was so stupid even my teachers openly made fun of it during class: If you paid for your lunch with cash, you got detention. Whenever your parents gave you money for your lunch account, you were supposed to deposit it before class actually started. What was so horrible about paying for your lunch with cash or depositing it on your account after that was never explained, even my elementary school allowed this. Supposedly it was to teach us "responsibility" or whatever. What bullsh!t.

I later learned this rule was eventually repealed once I moved on, probably due to many complaints from angry parents, but it still lasted at least the 3 years I went there, and probably before that too.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 01:53:49 PM »

When I was in high school, we had pop machines in the lunch room, which was actually a huge "commons" with access to the offices, library, and kitchens.

Then, some time around 2002, they made a law that stated you couldn't sell pop IN the lunch rooms, but you could sell water, milk, and juice... so they filled the pop machines in the commons with those things, and then sold pop in the machines that were 3 feet from the technical imaginary boundary between the "hallway" and the "commons"

They didn't have pop in the middle school or elementary schools, only milk in elementary and milk, juice, or water in the middle school.

Our new high school also had electronic lunch accounts where you had a PIN.  You could deposit money before school or during lunch.  A lot of times, students would forget and go through the lunch line and then not have money in their account, but the lunch ladies usually just let you go unless you had a significant negative balance...

We had 10 minute breaks between each class though to go to our lockers... even the middle school had at least 5 minutes.

In our old high school, which was much better, rule wise, we had an open campus, so we could leave whenever we wanted and it was right in town so there were eating options around.  Campus Ministry across the street had pizza and pop for $1.25 on Fridays..which was always pretty sweet.

Also, the lunch ladies had little carts set up in the hallways between 1st and 2nd period so you could buy a snack and bring them to class.  This was prohibited in the new building for cleanliness reasons, but they still had the snack bar open between 1st and 2nd period.. you just had to eat fast.

My junior and senior year, our district received a grant to offer free breakfast to all students.. and our high school had pretty sweet breakfast.. breakfast sandwiches and pastries and other traditional things like cereal and fruit...

For whatever reason, my school was like a Rolls Royce in a bad neighborhood.. my area is actually pretty poor.  Oh well, we know where to invest.  And our area is growing steadily and it rarely follows the booms and busts of the country... we just keep growing steadily.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 02:01:30 PM »

The mentally handicapped kids at my high school ran a little food kiosk out of a classroom in the mornings. That's where the teachers and students got coffee, hot chocolate, and bagels. The school buses sold soda after school, so there really wasn't an issue there, unless you really needed a soda during school for some reason.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 02:14:16 PM »

Way back when I went to high school, we only had canteen privileges during the two recess/lunch periods.  (9th and 12th grades were generally supposed to eat lunch during one while the 10th and 11th had the other period, with the 11th and 12th graders getting to eat first.)  The sodas were sold by machine (profits going to the athletic booster club), but the snacks were sold from a counter run by the band.  The canteen was in a little half open to the elements building and was next to the smoking area used by those students who had signed permission slips from their parents allowing them to smoke.  (As I said, this was way back.)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 02:26:39 PM »

Yeah.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 10:47:18 PM »

High school, yes. Heck, when I went to high school the band raised money by selling a hot dog, chips, and soda lunch for about 50 cents more than the cafeteria lunch - not a whole lot of food, but most of the time it tasted significantly better. I was a regular customer...

Elementary school, only if the students are prevented from buying.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 11:23:05 PM »

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 02:01:11 AM »

Even longer than just when the school's open.  We rent a school for church - and we'd buy stuff if the machines were on.

Now of course, the schools should offer a variety of diet pops, to appease people like myself. Tongue
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 04:53:24 AM »
« Edited: October 28, 2007, 04:56:38 AM by phknrocket1k »

The district should be allowed to ban them if they want to, but no higher authority should be able to.

I think Governor Schwarzenegger banned soda machines from middle/high school campuses, 1 or 2 years after I graduated from high school.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 03:39:29 PM »

Only if you can buy booze and cigarettes in school too.

(In other words, no.  But you of course may bring your own soda and drink it there.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 03:55:43 PM »

Only if you can buy booze and cigarettes in school too.

Pretty dumb comparison, especially since those aren't legal for high school kids (I suppose cigarettes for a few, but cigarette machines are already banned EVERYWHERE where under 18s have access)

(In other words, no.  But you of course may bring your own soda and drink it there.)

What's the difference between that and buying it at school?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 06:16:15 PM »

Ostensibly, it would give parents more control over whether or not their children are killing themselves.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 06:54:32 PM »

Pop/soda will not kill you.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2007, 01:54:52 AM »

It's certainly not healthy.

I don't support any age restrictions on the sale of soft drinks, but we need to be honest and admit that they are contributing to, if not causing, a massive obesity epidemic.  I've found them to be psychologically addictive in a way as well, although that's only my experience.  It's not an issue I care a great deal about, but your advocacy for the soft drink corporation is pretty over the top.  Great, another retarded BRTD theme...  Just what we need.

Anyway, what's wrong with taking soft drink vending machines in schools and replacing them with bottled water and juice?  It's a good idea.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2007, 02:09:41 AM »
« Edited: November 01, 2007, 02:17:38 AM by September 15, City Lights and The Clouds That Suck Them Dry »

Not healthy doesn't equal deadly.

I don't support any age restrictions on the sale of soft drinks, but we need to be honest and admit that they are contributing to, if not causing, a massive obesity epidemic.  I've found them to be psychologically addictive in a way as well, although that's only my experience.  It's not an issue I care a great deal about, but your advocacy for the soft drink corporation is pretty over the top.  Great, another retarded BRTD theme...  Just what we need.

Not for the corporations, just the kids. And are we going to quit selling soft drinks at high school sports games as well? If something is "bad" and thus should be banned from school, it doesn't make any sense to have them available at any school functions. Let's not also forget that schools often ENCOURAGE kids to drink soft drinks as a substitute for alcohol at parties and the like (I remember some old pamphlets they handed out to us.)

Anyway, what's wrong with taking soft drink vending machines in schools and replacing them with bottled water and juice?  It's a good idea.

Or just have both.

And btw, if you want to talk about unhealthy things served in schools, go take at look at your average cafeteria menu.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2007, 02:23:18 AM »

Okay, except it is deadly, if you consume it enough, which I can assure you many of these kids do.

If something is "bad" and thus should be banned from school, it doesn't make any sense to have them available at any school functions. Let's not also forget that schools often ENCOURAGE kids to drink soft drinks as a substitute for alcohol at parties and the like (I remember some old pamphlets they handed out to us.)

Who cares about school functions?  Anyway, just because schools encourage kids to drink soft drinks doesn't mean that they should be selling them.

And btw, if you want to talk about unhealthy things served in schools, go take at look at your average cafeteria menu.

You don't think I support making various reforms in that area as well?
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2007, 09:02:27 AM »

I don't support any age restrictions on the sale of soft drinks, but we need to be honest and admit that they are contributing to, if not causing, a massive obesity epidemic.  I've found them to be psychologically addictive in a way as well, although that's only my experience.  It's not an issue I care a great deal about, but your advocacy for the soft drink corporation is pretty over the top. 

WOW - I agree with you 100% here.

Schools need to set an example of eating and drinking healthy. School cafeterias need to set up more nutritious menus. Stop the snack bars. This includes vending machines. Coca Cola own Minute Maid correct? What's wrong with Minute Maid machines in schools instead?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2007, 10:24:09 AM »

Okay, except it is deadly, if you consume it enough, which I can assure you many of these kids do.

So is water.

I've never heard any case of someone dying from drinking soft drinks. Especially not a teenager.

It's relevent. It's kind of hypocritical to say that it's wrong to sell such things in school, but then sell them at related events.

Anyway, just because schools encourage kids to drink soft drinks doesn't mean that they should be selling them.

Why? That also seems hypocritical.

Anyway my high school was right next to a gas station, so if you ever wanted one you just had to go to the gas station and buy it. By this sort of logic that gas station shouldn't be allowed to be next to the school.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies