Do you support the Death Penalty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:33:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you support the Death Penalty
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Poll
Question: Yes or No?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I)

No (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 120

Author Topic: Do you support the Death Penalty  (Read 16537 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »

Ideally, I would support it, but since, for now at least, the government is in charge of capital punishment, there would have to be a lot of evidence.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #101 on: December 24, 2008, 06:46:55 PM »

Ideally, I would support it, but since, for now at least, the government is in charge of capital punishment, there would have to be a lot of evidence.

So if the state were in charge, you'd ask for less evidence?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #102 on: December 24, 2008, 10:56:12 PM »

No, I said that since the government is in charge of capital punishment, there would have to be a lot of evidence. I never referred to any specific level of government.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #103 on: December 27, 2008, 01:14:18 AM »

Hell yeah!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2009, 11:41:26 AM »

No, I said that since the government is in charge of capital punishment, there would have to be a lot of evidence. I never referred to any specific level of government.

Who do you think should be in charge of capital punishment?
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2009, 06:39:04 PM »

Yes and we should actually use it.  Often.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2009, 06:45:32 PM »

Yes.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #107 on: June 01, 2009, 03:45:01 PM »

How much more can we use it?  We're already in the Top 5.
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

« Reply #108 on: June 01, 2009, 06:08:13 PM »

I am very much opposed to the Death Penalty on the grounds that not only is it extremely unethical and unreliable on the grounds that there is always a risk of getting the wrong person, but it's not even an effective punishment in the long run.  Give 'em life instead, I say.  At least then if it turns out that you've imprisoned the wrong guy, there is a higher chance of you being able to release him, saving the family much unneeded grief (that's not to say that they won't still be pissed off, though).
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2009, 06:17:38 PM »

I am very much opposed to the Death Penalty on the grounds that not only is it extremely unethical and unreliable on the grounds that there is always a risk of getting the wrong person but it's not even an effective punishment in the long run.

Even putting aside DNA and the massive improvements we've seen in forensics, how much more effective do you get than not having someone around? No chance of re-offending there!
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2009, 06:34:59 PM »

I am very much opposed to the Death Penalty on the grounds that not only is it extremely unethical and unreliable on the grounds that there is always a risk of getting the wrong person but it's not even an effective punishment in the long run.

Even putting aside DNA and the massive improvements we've seen in forensics, how much more effective do you get than not having someone around? No chance of re-offending there!

The thing about execution, once the guy's dead it's not exactly possible to resurrect him, is it?  Furthermore, there is always going to be the risk of getting the wrong person, which on those grounds alone helps to make Capital Punishment an unacceptable method.

As for my remark on it not being an effective punishment, I was not referring to the people who've been executed, but to the fact that people still commit capital crimes en masse.  Really, what should be the main focus is not so much as dealing with the consequences of a crime but working to prevent it in the first place!
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2009, 06:50:34 PM »

The thing about execution, once the guy's dead it's not exactly possible to resurrect him, is it?  Furthermore, there is always going to be the risk of getting the wrong person, which on those grounds alone helps to make Capital Punishment an unacceptable method.

Yes but are you going to give him back all the years he wasted in prison? And what about all the people that wind up being murdered, horrendously beaten or otherwise dying there? Plus with new technologies the rate of error is again, nominal. We're not talking about fingerprints or things like that which are falling by the wayside (justifiably so).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't view the two as mutually exclusive (the opposite, actually).
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2009, 07:41:37 PM »

Yes but are you going to give him back all the years he wasted in prison? And what about all the people that wind up being murdered, horrendously beaten or otherwise dying there? Plus with new technologies the rate of error is again, nominal. We're not talking about fingerprints or things like that which are falling by the wayside (justifiably so).

But many, many, many of the convictions already on the books are without DNA evidence (which I agree is very good) and many of the cases being tried now are without them.  Requiring DNA evidence is probably even more impractical; the backlog is already immense, but would become astronomical if every case being considered for the death penalty were added.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2009, 08:23:16 PM »

But many, many, many of the convictions already on the books are without DNA evidence (which I agree is very good) and many of the cases being tried now are without them.

I'd agree that there's still a lot of convictions that should be commuted or at least re-examined. That's not to say that I think DNA should be used for all cases. If there's something like say, several eyewitnesses to corroborate that could be sufficient.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Actually according to studies it only adds about $1,397, and the rate of conviction is more than twice as high. If we streamlined appeals and mandated DNA testing it would actually be significantly cheaper than currently. And that ignores the millions which many estimate are saved simply through increased plea bargaining.
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2009, 04:30:58 AM »

I'm well aware that you can't "give back the years" to someone who's been wrongfully imprisoned, but at least there's a significantly reduced chance of him not being dead, and whether or not he dies or gets seriously maimed in prison all depends on where he's being held.

Also, it doesn't matter what forensic technology is used, the human element will always be there somewhere along the line, and there is always the chance of something going wrong...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2009, 03:24:09 PM »

Absolutely (I)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2009, 03:25:45 PM »

Never.

(Unless we're talking about Cleveland Browns players or fans.)
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2009, 08:06:06 PM »

How much more can we use it?  We're already in the Top 5.

How many people are in jail for murder in your state?  That's how often your state should use it.  And maybe for rape and child molesting also. 

We should not be in the top 5 we should lead the way.  After two or three years of cleaning the scum off of our streets crime would be almost non existent.

When are liberals going to get it through there thick heads?  If a criminal is afraid he is going to get the chair, the gas or a bullet in the brain he will think twice before he puills the trigger or diddles some defenseless little kid.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2009, 08:59:13 PM »

Not necessarily.  Quite a few crimes are committed in a fit of passion; people don't stop to think, and having more frequent executions won't change that.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2009, 12:36:48 PM »

Nope. especially since you die in such a painful way. Also it costs money to do it. And you wait for ever to die. Oh and sometimes it is the wrong person.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2009, 12:37:58 PM »

Yes, but we shouldn't be as giddy to use it as we are.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2009, 01:21:51 PM »

but there are less crimes in states in which there is no death penalty.

http://blogs.thinkingtogether.org/hdupre/files/2009/05/murderratesdpndp1.jpg
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2009, 01:39:17 PM »

That's lovely, but how does that relate to DAs being overly enthusiastic about using the death penalty?
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: June 04, 2009, 01:41:46 PM »

That's lovely, but how does that relate to DAs being overly enthusiastic about using the death penalty?
oh i was responding to your yes. For the DA part, that is just disturbing.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #124 on: June 04, 2009, 01:48:38 PM »

oh i was responding to your yes. For the DA part, that is just disturbing.

I'm not sure that I follow your logic.  Why wouldn't states with higher murder rates be more inclined to support the death penalty?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies