New Mexico Senate 2008: Lake Research (D) poll - Chavez (D) 41%, Wilson (R) 40%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:20:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New Mexico Senate 2008: Lake Research (D) poll - Chavez (D) 41%, Wilson (R) 40%
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Mexico Senate 2008: Lake Research (D) poll - Chavez (D) 41%, Wilson (R) 40%  (Read 1142 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 30, 2007, 10:24:38 AM »

A Lake Reseach (D) poll conducted for the U.S. Senate campaign of Albuquerque Mayor Martin Chavez (D) showed him narrowly beating Rep. Heather Wilson (R-NM) in a hypothetical Senate matchup, according to Roll Call.

The survey found Chavez edging Wilson, 41% to 40%, with 19% undecided.

Key finding for Democrats: "The poll found Chavez leading Wilson among independent voters 48% to 30%."

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2007/10/30/poll_suggests_close_race_for_new_mexico_senate_seat.html
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 02:45:12 PM »

But no Chavez/Pierce numbers were released.  Telling.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 03:03:52 PM »

The name is Pearce.

Knowing that this is a (D) firm, it means that Chavez is down to Wilson by at least 5 points, maybe more.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 05:51:02 PM »

The name is Pearce.

Knowing that this is a (D) firm, it means that Chavez is down to Wilson by at least 5 points, maybe more.

Sam, how come there are so many strong Democratic candidates in NM-02 and so few equally qualified Republicans? Why would there be a dearth of strong GOPers in such as culturally and economically conservative district?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 06:41:17 PM »

The name is Pearce.

Sam, how come there are so many strong Democratic candidates in NM-02 and so few equally qualified Republicans? Why would there be a dearth of strong GOPers in such as culturally and economically conservative district?

Uh, there are strong GOPers in NM-02, but none of them have said they are running yet (might be fear, who knows).  I said the CD is less Republican than people think (though no one listened).  The most likely GOP candidate, btw, is Ed Tinsley, the guy (restaurant owner, actually) who lost the primary to Pearce in 2000 and was supported there by Skeen (the Republican incumbent).  He can self-fund.

That part of New Mexico, like all parts of New Mexico, has strong Democratic candidates.  Lots of conservative Dems and Independents in Little Texas who vote Republican on many phases of government (but not locally).  Republicans in New Mexico actually tend to be centered in the suburbs of Albuquerque (which is why Wilson is stronger in the primary than some might think).

The problem for Democrats is that the crappiest machine-hack candidate always seems to get through the Democratic primaries, and that hurts here more than anywhere else.  The conservative Dems and Indys would look more favorably upon a right-wing Republican than a moderate.  And if Hillary looks likely to win, I doubt this CD would look favorably upon electing a Democrat along with her.  It's an odd place, much like all of New Mexico actually, that defies most common-held political logic.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 08:29:03 PM »

The name is Pearce.

Uh, there are strong GOPers in NM-02, but none of them have said they are running yet (might be fear, who knows).  I said the CD is less Republican than people think (though no one listened).  The most likely GOP candidate, btw, is Ed Tinsley, the guy (restaurant owner, actually) who lost the primary to Pearce in 2000 and was supported there by Skeen (the Republican incumbent).  He can self-fund.

That part of New Mexico, like all parts of New Mexico, has strong Democratic candidates.  Lots of conservative Dems and Independents in Little Texas who vote Republican on many phases of government (but not locally).  Republicans in New Mexico actually tend to be centered in the suburbs of Albuquerque (which is why Wilson is stronger in the primary than some might think).

The problem for Democrats is that the crappiest machine-hack candidate always seems to get through the Democratic primaries, and that hurts here more than anywhere else.  The conservative Dems and Indys would look more favorably upon a right-wing Republican than a moderate.  And if Hillary looks likely to win, I doubt this CD would look favorably upon electing a Democrat along with her.  It's an odd place, much like all of New Mexico actually, that defies most common-held political logic.

Is Teague the right fit? I've heard McCamley is too green (not the enviro kind) to win this seat.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »

The name is Pearce.

Is Teague the right fit? I've heard McCamley is too green (not the enviro kind) to win this seat.

The Primary will be fought within Teague and Cervantes (State Rep. from Dona Ana) who entered the race yesterday, IMHO.  McCamley is probably too young (I agree) and simply does not have the funding that Teague and Cervantes will have.

Teague is probably stronger in the GE, but will be attacked by Cervantes as basically being Pearce-lite (Teague has supported him in the past).  I would expect Cervantes to be the eventual nominee.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 09:56:14 AM »

Chavez is a horrible Democrat and will lose the general election.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 12:34:04 AM »

The last poll I saw showed Peace running much stronger than Wilson against the Dem. That might be why that matchup was missing. Now just why Peace would be a much stronger candidate than Wilson against a Dem I don't know, assuming the poll I saw was accurate.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 05:24:09 AM »

Chavez is a horrible Democrat and will lose the general election.

Correct as usual, TNM.  DLC/right-wing is a losing strategy for the Democratic Party.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies