Colbert's Presidential Bid Rejected
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:12:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Colbert's Presidential Bid Rejected
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Colbert's Presidential Bid Rejected  (Read 2889 times)
Eleden
oaksmarts

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 01, 2007, 02:22:56 PM »

Ooooo... Colbert is gonna be pissed.

The Democratic Party rejected his bid to run in South Carolina, because he wasn't considered a bona fide Democrat.  I'm sure there will be a flood of angry e-mails directed at the SC Democratic Party.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1107/6674.html
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 02:35:30 PM »

Good for them!!!  I do not like Colbert one bit.  I don't like the way he makes fun of my President and never makes fun of any Democrats.  I never watch his show on purpose.  I was only forced to watch that creep while in Boston and he ticked me off so much I had to leave the room.

I am a Democrat, but I do not like ANYBODY making fun of my President, and especially only attacks one side.

Jay Leno, in my mind, is different.  At least he makes fun of both sides and, in my mind, is not intended to make anybody look bad.  Plus, I am used to Jay Leno as he took over for the man I grew up watching, Johnny Carson.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 02:41:53 PM »

Good for them!!!  I do not like Colbert one bit.  I don't like the way he makes fun of my President and never makes fun of any Democrats.  I never watch his show on purpose.  I was only forced to watch that creep while in Boston and he ticked me off so much I had to leave the room.

I am a Democrat, but I do not like ANYBODY making fun of my President, and especially only attacks one side.

Jay Leno, in my mind, is different.  At least he makes fun of both sides and, in my mind, is not intended to make anybody look bad.  Plus, I am used to Jay Leno as he took over for the man I grew up watching, Johnny Carson.

Oh dear, where to begin..... First off, Colbert does attack democrats. A lot. In fact, I've probably seen him bash democrats more than republicans. Secondly, everyone makes fun of Bush or "your" president and he damn well deserves it. Your Jay Leno makes fun of Bush too. Everyone does. And Bush has earned it. Third, Jay Leno sucks.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 02:44:47 PM »

I am a Democrat, but I do not like ANYBODY making fun of my President

Are you for real?
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 02:49:24 PM »

Well, now he can just run on the Republican side.  Where, of course, he has no chance in hell, but, of course, he'll be more true to his character.

Truth be told, this is probably best for everybody involved--Colbert doesn't have to actually worry about running, and the Democrats don't have to worry about Colbert running.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 02:50:28 PM »

Yes, why?  Is it odd for a Democrat to respect a Republican?  I don't much like the policies of this president, but I will not even entertain the thought that he might be the worst president in history, which he is nowhere close.  History will judge him as not being the worst president.  Even if he was, I still respect the office he holds, and, I respect him, because he seems like a wonderful person.  I would love to meet him in person one day.

I am a true and true Democrat who happens to like President Bush (and no, that does not make me any less Democrat).
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 02:54:36 PM »

Oh dear, where to begin..... First off, Colbert does attack democrats. A lot. In fact, I've probably seen him bash democrats more than republicans. Secondly, everyone makes fun of Bush or "your" president and he damn well deserves it. Your Jay Leno makes fun of Bush too. Everyone does. And Bush has earned it. Third, Jay Leno sucks.

I'll give you that, since you probably watch that show more than me.  This president, even though he has made some major mistakes, does not deserve the ridicule and near-hatred of his people.  He does deserve respect, and that will I give him.  Also, Jay Leno is America's Late Night leader for a reason as he is a much better comedian than, say, his counterpart David Letterman.

I guess as long as Colbert means absolutely no harm by his jabs, then I'll live with it.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 02:58:40 PM »

StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 02:58:58 PM »
« Edited: November 01, 2007, 03:08:12 PM by StateBoiler »

Yes, why?  Is it odd for a Democrat to respect a Republican?  I don't much like the policies of this president, but I will not even entertain the thought that he might be the worst president in history, which he is nowhere close.  History will judge him as not being the worst president.  Even if he was, I still respect the office he holds, and, I respect him, because he seems like a wonderful person.  I would love to meet him in person one day.

I am a true and true Democrat who happens to like President Bush (and no, that does not make me any less Democrat).

Ah, your post itself is a satire. You had me going for a second.

In the future, you might want to let us know that you are joking with a wink or something. Sometimes sarcasm does not transfer well over the internet. You're robbing us of the laughter that can be enjoyed.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If you don't think he makes fun of Democrats you really do never watch his show. He just did last night after he played a quote from Obama saying Colbert probably never ate grits (that was in addition to Obama saying he didn't think Colbert was from South Carolina). And if you want to see him making fun of Democrats, I guarantee you watch tonight.

Mr. Colbert in a national poll had more support from potential primary voters than Bill Richardson, Chris Dodd, Dennis Kucinich, Mike Gravel, and was not far behind Joe Biden.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 03:00:59 PM »

I'll give you that, since you probably watch that show more than me.  This president, even though he has made some major mistakes, does not deserve the ridicule and near-hatred of his people.  He does deserve respect, and that will I give him.  Also, Jay Leno is America's Late Night leader for a reason as he is a much better comedian than, say, his counterpart David Letterman.

I guess as long as Colbert means absolutely no harm by his jabs, then I'll live with it.

Of course he does. How much blood does this guy have on his hands? He isn't a good person.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 03:08:09 PM »

That's a real shame, I thought the Democrats were more laidback then my party and could take a good joke.  Geez guys, lighten up a little. The rest of the world laughs at our elections, why can’t we?
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 03:17:18 PM »

That's a real shame, I thought the Democrats were more laidback then my party and could take a good joke.  Geez guys, lighten up a little. The rest of the world laughs at our elections, why can't we?

I concur with Reluctant Republican. I hope the Republican Party allow Colbert to run in the South Carolina primary. Even though he is a joke candidate. It should be funny if they do allow him to run in the GOP Primary, because he donated $326 dollars to the Democratic Party, whilst he wouldn't to the GOP.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 04:05:20 PM »

Well, now he can just run on the Republican side.  Where, of course, he has no chance in hell, but, of course, he'll be more true to his character.

Truth be told, this is probably best for everybody involved--Colbert doesn't have to actually worry about running, and the Democrats don't have to worry about Colbert running.

Unfortunately not:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/10/31/colbert.sc/index.html
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 04:18:44 PM »

Unfortunately not:

Why do Republicans and Democrats hate America?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 04:25:09 PM »

Unfortunately not:

Why do Republicans and Democrats hate America?

I'm somewhat surprised by it; the Republicans being the greedy money-grabbers, and the Democrats having no sense of humor.  It's usually the other way round.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 04:39:24 PM »

I'm actually surprised $15,000 is too high of a threshold. Colbert is probably a multi-millionaire; couldn't he just pay the money himself?
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 04:42:49 PM »

I'm actually surprised $15,000 is too high of a threshold. Colbert is probably a multi-millionaire; couldn't he just pay the money himself?

I believe if Colbert spends more then $5000 on his campaign[which includes the filling cost.] He has to obey all those FCC rules, which means he would have to give up his show.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 04:46:23 PM »
« Edited: November 01, 2007, 05:02:07 PM by StateBoiler »

I believe if Colbert spends more then $5000 on his campaign[which includes the filling cost.] He has to obey all those FCC rules, which means he would have to give up his show.

It's also not $15,000. It's $35,000.

http://www.indecision2008.com/blog.jhtml

Please everyone watch this: http://www.indecision2008.com/blog.jhtml?c=vc&videoId=127602

http://www.indecision2008.com/blog.jhtml?c=vc&videoId=127665
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 05:03:57 PM »

Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2007, 05:41:14 PM »

You have to ask?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2007, 06:31:03 PM »

Colbert is running into the legal and financial safeguards which prevent joke candidacies from happening. Honestly I'm not surprised and it may have been part of his plan from the start.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2007, 06:46:21 PM »

Good. Colbert may be a Democrat in real life but his on-air persona is Republican. So, since I'm assuming that it's the character who's running, I'm happy. I hope the Republicans accept him, though.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2007, 06:51:35 PM »

Good. Colbert may be a Democrat in real life but his on-air persona is Republican. So, since I'm assuming that it's the character who's running, I'm happy. I hope the Republicans accept him, though.

What?  Are you actually taking his candidacy seriously or something?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2007, 06:55:39 PM »

What?  Are you actually taking his candidacy seriously or something?

No, of course not. I think it's seriously funny, though.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2007, 08:27:44 PM »

Good for the Democrats!  Bravo!  Hooray!

I trust the Republicans will be as sensible as the Democrats in this matter and follow suit.

We do not need a pompous stand up comic, and a poor one at that, wasting everybody's time with this ludicrous exercise in futility. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies