WA: Gregoire Has 63% Approval Rating, According to Non-Partisan Poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:24:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WA: Gregoire Has 63% Approval Rating, According to Non-Partisan Poll
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WA: Gregoire Has 63% Approval Rating, According to Non-Partisan Poll  (Read 4846 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 01, 2007, 04:46:30 PM »
« edited: November 01, 2007, 04:48:54 PM by Frodo »

It's a poll (in PowerPoint format) conducted by The Washington Poll, a non-partisan University of Washington-sponsored survey research project.  It surveyed 600 registered voters across Washington state, and has a 4% margin of error.  Here is the link, bur for those who don't have PowerPoint on their computers, here are the (relevant) results from one of the slides:

Gregoire           State Legislature

Strongly Approve                   25%                                    8%

Somewhat Approve               38%                                     52%

Somewhat Disapprove           14%                                    15%

Strongly Disapprove              16%                                     8%

Don't Know                            5%                                       15%

bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 04:52:07 PM »

Haha, well I don't know how accurate university polls are, but 2008 is going to be a great year for Washington State. Dino will be crushed once and for all, and the legislature will become one of the most Democratic in the nation. Smiley
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 05:53:35 PM »
« Edited: November 01, 2007, 05:58:21 PM by Alcon »

I'm skeptical.

But, other information:

Bush approval: 13-22-12-50 (Approve 35%, Disapprove 62%)
Congress approval: 5-34-28-24 (Approve 39%, Disapprove 52%)

Regional Approval
Bush
Puget Sound: 11-21-11-54 (Approve 32%, Disapprove 65%)
Other: 16-23-13-46 (Approve 39%, Disapprove 59%)

Gregoire
Puget Sound: 27-40-11-15 (Approve 67%, Disapprove 26%)
Other: 23-35-17-19 (Approve 58%, Disapprove 36%)

State Legislature
Puget Sound: 8-55-14-7 (Approve 63%, Disapprove 21%)
Other: 9-48-17-8 (Approve 57%, Disapprove 25%)

U.S. Congress
Puget Sound: 6-35-27-23 (Approve 41%, Disapprove 50%)
Other: 5-32-30-24 (Approve 37%, Disapprove 54%)

...And that's all they polled.  Sad
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 09:06:53 PM »

Haha, well I don't know how accurate university polls are, but 2008 is going to be a great year for Washington State. Dino will be crushed once and for all, and the legislature will become one of the most Democratic in the nation. Smiley

I do hope so, though I think that Gregoire could royally screw up her re-election bid.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 09:20:38 PM »

Unrelated:  Gregoire is coming to my high school on Monday!  I'm going to try to ask her about voting registration reform.  I'll effectively ensure that 2/3rds of my neighbors won't like me, in the unlikely event that I'm called on.  Hooray!
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 10:15:45 PM »

Its probably more around the mid to high fifties.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 10:17:44 PM »

Unrelated:  Gregoire is coming to my high school on Monday!  I'm going to try to ask her about voting registration reform.  I'll effectively ensure that 2/3rds of my neighbors won't like me, in the unlikely event that I'm called on.  Hooray!

registration reform?
I dont see any problems with voter registration...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 10:47:30 PM »

Its probably more around the mid to high fifties.

Not among my neighbors...

registration reform?
I dont see any problems with voter registration...

Huge number of duplicates, voters registered at illegal addresses outside of their district (that's probably common to other places, but still).  The ACORN thing showed that it's not hard to make fake registrations and that they clearly don't actually check for SSN number matches.  All of them seems to be ignored in the name of avoiding disenfranchising voters, because checking to make sure that doesn't happen would require a full-time state worker or two.  I think we need a full-time state worker or two.

Stefan Sharkansky, ideological zealot as he may be, has some valid points.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 11:11:33 PM »

These polls by the UW seem to be way off the mark compared to SurveyUSA's results both on the statewide ballot measures and the approval ratings, and personal I trust SurveyUSA quite a bit more than college polling. I give them an A for effort though.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 11:34:51 PM »

More good news for Gregoire -- Governing Magazine named her 1 of 9 "Public Officials of The Year" and put her on the cover.

http://www.governing.com/poy/2007/index.htm

Gov Mag Gregoire Bio:  http://www.governing.com/poy/2007/gregoire.htm

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 11:53:28 PM »

Unfortunately, this is pretty much 100% guaranteed to be an outlier.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 12:05:36 AM »

this is obviously exaggerated, but I think she is in the positive side, which is a good sign.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 12:16:04 AM »

More good news for Gregoire -- Governing Magazine named her 1 of 9 "Public Officials of The Year" and put her on the cover.

http://www.governing.com/poy/2007/index.htm

Gov Mag Gregoire Bio:  http://www.governing.com/poy/2007/gregoire.htm

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The only thing I see as at all being wrong is that she is "warm and open", her reputation is definately not as such, though personally I think she has done a great job as governor (better than Locke at least who didn't seem to get anything done.)
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 12:38:51 AM »

Have people completely forgotten about the 2004 Gubernatorial Race, or does this poll just reflect how well Democrats are doing nationally?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 01:20:46 AM »

The only thing I see as at all being wrong is that she is "warm and open", her reputation is definately not as such, though personally I think she has done a great job as governor (better than Locke at least who didn't seem to get anything done.)
You're right that that's her reputation, but I've met her several times and the article's accurate. She's very friendly and caring and is probably one of the nicest people I've ever met. I once saw her walking through the Capitol and while passing a school group she stopped to talk to them and then made sure to sign something and talk to every kid. Apparently that's typical behavior, drives her staff nuts.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 08:25:43 AM »

Have people completely forgotten about the 2004 Gubernatorial Race, or does this poll just reflect how well Democrats are doing nationally?

It seems like few voters ever hang on to memories of contentious past races. I know a lot of Democrats had to learn that lesson in 2002 and 2004, when we expected the Gore numbers to be our baseline plus whatever independents were disgusted with what happened after that.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 08:54:03 AM »

I don't really trust this poll for some reason.

Doesn't matter, I don't like Gregoire or Rossi. Neithers election will affect me in any way, so I'm good.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 09:44:29 PM »

You're right that that's her reputation, but I've met her several times and the article's accurate. She's very friendly and caring and is probably one of the nicest people I've ever met. I once saw her walking through the Capitol and while passing a school group she stopped to talk to them and then made sure to sign something and talk to every kid. Apparently that's typical behavior, drives her staff nuts.

One of my parents works for her, she is definately not what I would call "warm". Though that is not to say I dont think she has done a great job as Governor, she has definately been able to get things done.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 01:34:49 AM »

One of my parents works for her, she is definately not what I would call "warm". Though that is not to say I dont think she has done a great job as Governor, she has definately been able to get things done.
Well, I for one have always found her to be friendly. But I do agree with you that she's been doing a fine job and is much better than Locke.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies