I know this has probably been done before but...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:45:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  I know this has probably been done before but...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: Which are you in favour of?
Gay marriage

Civil unions

No recognition

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: I know this has probably been done before but...  (Read 8586 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »

Well, that went right over your head.

Your argument is that if we can ban polygamy, we should accordingly ban same-sex marriage.  I mentioned oral sex to demonstrate the stupidity of that reasoning.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2007, 06:50:05 PM »

Well, that went right over your head.

Your argument is that if we can ban polygamy, we should accordingly ban same-sex marriage.  I mentioned oral sex to demonstrate the stupidity of that reasoning.

That's because oral sex has nothing to do with marriage - it's a form of pleasure, and one which I do not consider to be actual sex (defined as a loss of virginity).
frihetsivrare
Volksliberalist

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -7.13

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2007, 06:50:34 PM »

I oppose any state recognition of heterosexual or homosexual marraige.  For that reason I voted no recognition.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2007, 06:52:11 PM »

That's because oral sex has nothing to do with marriage - it's a form of pleasure, and one which I do not consider to be actual sex (defined as a loss of virginity).

You really don't get it.

I am saying that homosexuality has nothing to do with polygamy.  You have not given me any evidence to believe otherwise.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2007, 06:52:30 PM »

Inks where in the bible does it say that marriage is between a man and a women?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2007, 06:56:58 PM »

You really don't get it.

I am saying that homosexuality has nothing to do with polygamy.  You have not given me any evidence to believe otherwise.

It has to do with legislating who can marry who.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2007, 06:58:04 PM »

I Corinthians 6:9 says that homosexuality is a sin.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2007, 07:01:07 PM »

That isn't politically relevant.  Can you justify that homosexuality is immoral or undesirable with your own thinking?

I am still not seeing the connection between polygamy and homosexuality.  What exactly is the similarity?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2007, 07:03:17 PM »

That isn't politically relevant.  Can you justify that homosexuality is immoral or undesirable with your own thinking?

I am still not seeing the connection between polygamy and homosexuality.  What exactly is the similarity?

Because as a Christian, I don't think the government should give benifits for sin.

And polygamy - the similarity is that you think that we sould be able to outlaw marrying multiple people, but not marrying people of hte same sex.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2007, 07:06:18 PM »

That didn't answer my question, I asked where in the bible does it say that marriage is between a man and a women?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2007, 07:11:13 PM »

Because as a Christian, I don't think the government should give benifits for sin.

The right to see your dying partner in the hospital is not a benefit for sin.

And polygamy - the similarity is that you think that we sould be able to outlaw marrying multiple people, but not marrying people of hte same sex.

No, I support restricting marriage to two people.  You're making arbitrary distinctions again.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2007, 07:12:41 PM »

That didn't answer my question, I asked where in the bible does it say that marriage is between a man and a women?

Every other good marriage that we see is heterosexual.  All the homosexuals are punished.  The absence of the opposite proves this, kinda like gravity - sure, there's no way to prove it works 100% of the time, but we've never seen it do anything else.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2007, 07:17:05 PM »

Every other good marriage that we see is heterosexual.  All the homosexuals are punished.  The absence of the opposite proves this, kinda like gravity - sure, there's no way to prove it works 100% of the time, but we've never seen it do anything else.

You have yet to convince me why we should use the Bible as the standard from which to base our marriage laws.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2007, 07:17:50 PM »

What?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2007, 07:41:12 PM »

You have yet to convince me why we should use the Bible as the standard from which to base our marriage laws.

Because we were founded on Biblical (not Christian, but Biblical) principles.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2007, 07:42:22 PM »

What?

All homosexual marriages/relationships in the Bible were punished.  All of the blessed marriages were between men and women.  So the absence of saying marriage can be between men and men or women and women would imply that it must be heterosexual.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2007, 07:45:05 PM »

This is, of course, true. It's well known that the Constitution is lifted almost verbatim from Leviticus and the Bill of Rights simply paraphrases the Sermon on the Mount (blessed be those who bear arms; blessed by those who speaketh as they wish; etc...).
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2007, 07:47:17 PM »

What?

All homosexual marriages/relationships in the Bible were punished.  All of the blessed marriages were between men and women.  So the absence of saying marriage can be between men and men or women and women would imply that it must be heterosexual.

Their was no homosexuals in the bible.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2007, 08:15:48 PM »

What?

Genesis 19:4-5 in Sodom and Gomorrah
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2007, 10:06:43 PM »

What?

Amen brother.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »

What?

The primary sin of Sodom and Gomorrah was supposedly hostility towards guests and beggars, not homosexuality.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2007, 10:13:49 PM »

What?

The primary sin of Sodom and Gomorrah was supposedly hostility towards guests and beggars, not sexual deviance.

And explain to me how God would want to blow up a city just because it was full of grouches. Read the Bible - it unmistakeably refers to gay sex.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2007, 10:33:31 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2007, 10:35:55 PM by Pope Leo XIV »

What?

The primary sin of Sodom and Gomorrah was supposedly hostility towards guests and beggars, not sexual deviance.

And explain to me how God would want to blow up a city just because it was full of grouches. Read the Bible - it unmistakeably refers to gay sex.

Actually, It is you who might want to read the Bible. Isiah says the reason Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed was for the lack of social justice. Ezekial (16, 46-51) says it was for the disregard for the poor. Jeremiah (23, 14) says it was for general immorality. So you might want to brush up on your bible study's before you make these statements. 
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2007, 11:09:11 PM »

Nope.  Do you have any secular reasons to prohibit two people who love each other from getting married?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2007, 11:33:09 PM »

One of the general problems with polygamy is that, in practice, it is seldom a "victimless crime."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies