Where in the United States do you live?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:56:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Where in the United States do you live?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which region  (as I define them) do you live in?
Southeast

Mid-Atlantic

New England

Midwest

Southwest

Great Plains

Mountain West

Pacific Coast

Not an American

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Where in the United States do you live?  (Read 1422 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 03, 2007, 03:44:56 PM »

Here is how I define the regions:

Southeast:

Mid-Atlantic:

New England:

Midwest:

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 03:45:47 PM »

Southwest:

Great Plains:

Mountain West:

Pacific Coast:

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 03:56:40 PM »

Midwest
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »

Mid-Atlantic, and why is West Virginia in the Mid-Atlantic? It belongs in either the South or Midwest.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 04:44:33 PM »

Mid-Atlantic, and why is West Virginia in the Mid-Atlantic? It belongs in either the South or Midwest.

I mulled over both those options, but in the end decided that the 'Mid-Atlantic' was the best compromise solution.  Considering that West Virginia seceded from Virginia in part because of the latter's decision to join the Confederacy, combined with the fact that there were few -if any- slaves or slaveholders in the state ruled out the South for me.   

And as for the Midwest, I came very close to including West Virginia with that region, but decided against it in part because of the fact that West Virginia has more in common with Pennsylvania than, say, Ohio, given its long and intertwined history with coal-production. 

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 05:08:14 PM »

I mulled over both those options, but in the end decided that the 'Mid-Atlantic' was the best compromise solution.  Considering that West Virginia seceded from Virginia in part because of the latter's decision to join the Confederacy, combined with the fact that there were few -if any- slaves or slaveholders in the state ruled out the South for me.   

And as for the Midwest, I came very close to including West Virginia with that region, but decided against it in part because of the fact that West Virginia has more in common with Pennsylvania than, say, Ohio, given its long and intertwined history with coal-production. 

West Virginia is nowhere near the south.  The south starts at Tennessee and North Carolina and goes south from there.  Virginia is not even in the south.

As for me, I live in the wonderful Great Plains.  You all should know where by now Tongue
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 05:22:18 PM »

I don't Obviously but If I was to move to the United States New England or the Mid-Atlantic (New York state in particular; but probably not the city.) would be where I choose to live. Certainly not the South or the Interior. (And that's not really for political reasons as much cultural btw.)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 06:12:27 PM »

Midwest
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 06:39:54 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2007, 06:46:21 PM by nclib »

Southeast.

The south starts at Tennessee and North Carolina and goes south from there.  Virginia is not even in the south.

Northern Virginia is not part of the South, but the rest of the state of Virginia is quite Southern in terms of both culture and politics. I figured out in a different thread that VA without No. VA is slightly more Republican federally than NC.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 06:41:47 PM »

Southeast.

The south starts at Tennessee and North Carolina and goes south from there.  Virginia is not even in the south.

Northern Virginia is not part of the South, but the rest of the state is quite Southern in terms of both culture and politics. I figured out in a different thread that VA without No. VA is slightly more Republican nationally than NC.

NC and FL are the two most non-southern states in the south...
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 12:28:02 AM »

I've always considered Virginia to be a part of the Mid-Atlantic.  I think people get to hung up on Union v. Confederacy when designating modern regions.  Some of the old Civil War lines still exist culturally and politically but its been 140 years and some things have inevitably changed as well.  As a result I really don't think you can lump the entire ex-confederacy into one region anymore.  I will concede that some states can be difficult to place though because regional lines could run directly through them or because certain states may be too unique or diverse to pigeonhole them into just one region.

I think the Census sub-regions are pretty accurate though:

Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 12:32:49 AM »

Midwest
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 12:46:40 AM »

Where I am right now has characteristics of both the Midwest and the Northeast, but still has many differences with either. Tongue
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 01:51:29 AM »

San Diego.

Pacific Coast.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 08:59:58 AM »

Oklahoma is one of those weird states.  It is in the west, the midwest, the high plains, the great plains, the ozarks, the southern plains, and the extreme western fringes of the southeast.

Whats interesting is that all of the boundary lines between the different regions meet and intersect in downtown Oklahoma City.

A lot of our weather is determined by the Rocky Mountains just to our west and the Gulf of Mexico just to our southeast.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2007, 10:38:03 AM »

Not an American ...
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2007, 03:04:59 PM »

Midwest... though when most people think of the midwest, they think of farms and rolling countryside.

Where I live has much more in common with northern Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan... rooted in timber, mining, tourism, outdoors... with a strong liberal populist tradition.

Being close to the geographical center of the North American continent, on the continental divide, and our proximity to Lake Superior, our weather is influenced by a great many things, but most often it comes down to cool to frigid air from Canada mixing with warm, moist air from the Gulf of Mexico which creates storms in the summer and blizzards in the winter.

Our landscape was created completely by glaciers that retreated 10,000 years ago and left us with thousands of lakes.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2007, 05:48:42 PM »

Mid-Atlantic
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies