is jesus 'pro-gun'?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:51:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  is jesus 'pro-gun'?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: is jesus 'pro-gun'?  (Read 3149 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2007, 12:31:11 PM »

i was just on john eaves website and im offended that he ties guns into his christian faith,

His momma read him Bible stories at bed time and rocked him to sleep singing the old hymn "In the Garden." He gave his life to Christ at age 8 and walked where Jesus did at age 9. Thirty-years later, he stood on the banks of the Jordan River as three of his own sons professed faith and were baptized. His wife's name is Angel. He is pro-life, pro-prayer, pro-Bible literacy and pro-guns. He's a Southern Baptist running for office.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 12:35:03 PM »

What's it to you?  You don't live in the state, so why should it matter to you?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 12:41:30 PM »

What's it to you?  You don't live in the state, so why should it matter to you?

because im a christian and i take offense when anyone, on either side of the spectrum tries to exploit and twist the religion into something it isnt.

i do not believe jesus is pro gun.  jesus' message was one of peace.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 01:11:02 PM »

Jesus clearly didn't have a problem with weapons for self-defense:

Luke 22:36

He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 01:16:11 PM »

Jesus clearly didn't have a problem with weapons for self-defense:

Luke 22:36

He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

Are you sure?

"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you." (Luke 6:27-31)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 01:31:01 PM »

Taken in a literal and absolute sense, that passage would probably command that a woman not resist being raped. It would indeed condemn the use of guns for self-defense, though not the carrying or ownership of weapons for other purposes; and it of course would not have any necessary implications with regard to government policies on the subject.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 01:33:18 PM »

Taken in a literal and absolute sense, that passage would probably command that a woman not resist being raped. It would indeed condemn the use of guns for self-defense, though not the carrying or ownership of weapons for other purposes

Your point being?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 01:51:50 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2007, 01:55:57 PM by A18 »

Principally, just noting the stakes. That is, he who endorses such a reading on guns, had better be prepared to apply that interpretation consistently.

Second, its dubious relevance to the gun control debate is not unworthy of mention.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 02:07:39 PM »

It depends - for self defense - I think he was - for hunting - yes.  I think he'd limit it though - so no people with mental diseases or drug addicts or alcoholics - or criminals.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 02:10:45 PM »

I think Jesus was similiar to the Dali Llama on this issue- You generally want to be peaceful, but you still have a right to survive if your life is on the line.

It depends - for self defense - I think he was - for hunting - yes.  I think he'd limit it though - so no people with mental diseases or drug addicts or alcoholics - or criminals.

Yes. 
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 02:13:52 PM »

In other words, you think Jesus would have the same position as you do about guns?
How remarkable.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 02:20:35 PM »

i was just on john eaves website and im offended that he ties guns into his christian faith,

His momma read him Bible stories at bed time and rocked him to sleep singing the old hymn "In the Garden." He gave his life to Christ at age 8
He's still alive though, so something's fishy here. Grin

As to Jesus' views on guns? Lol. Obviously he had none. Guns weren't invented yet. As to weapons, everyone wore knives at the time. All the time.
And the picture on what Jesus' views on self-defense were is obviously incredibly muddied, in part because we don't know exactly what parts of his teachings his former followers chose to pass on and which parts they chose to suppress (or just to forget.)
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 02:27:34 PM »

Some more passages from Luke 22:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And then Jesus is arrested, knowing he is going to die. Some use of weapons for 'self-defense'!

Anyway, the debate is about guns, which are potentially far more destructive than knives or swords.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 02:43:43 PM »

It's kind of a silly argument since Walter completely took the comment out of context in the first place. Eaves never said it's Christian to be pro-gun, just listed that as part of a list of his political views. Obviously he put that there because it's popular in Mississippi. He mentions his wife too, also doesn't deal with that.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 02:53:15 PM »

Various interpretations may be overcomplicating matters.

Taken most literally of all, the passage on turning the other cheek on being slapped means just that- and no more. If you are slapped, you should turn the other cheek to disarm the other person's hostility because you know that Jesus has saved you. It does not mean the same reaction needs to be in case of rape or anything more serious.

Jesus's intonation of his followers to take up swords and other equipment on the eve of his arrest, whereas previously they had nothing, probably was a signal for them to prepare to abandon their reliance on them and begin living as ordinary men of the time did-- who carried swords because it was a relatively lawless and dangerous time. He ordered them not to use them later because the odds were insurmountable-- and because it was written that he would have to die.

Neither exactly addresses the policy debates we have today over guns. Perhaps Jesus would want us to use a little common sense.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2007, 06:01:13 PM »

To better simplify things:

Eaves is listing stuff that would appeal in Mississippi.
The Jesus stuff appeals in Mississippi.
Being pro-gun appeals in Mississippi.

That doesn't mean the two are related.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2007, 06:37:32 PM »

BTW it's also amusing how Walter singles out Eaves for this but not the zillions of Republicans who are the same way.

If gun nuts bother him so much, why does he keep voting for them?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 03:00:02 AM »

Frankly, I don't think any of Jesus' doctrines, if he did have any thoughts on the use of firearms, could have forseen circumstances like bipolar disorder, cocaine addiction, or convicted insider traders.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 04:36:55 PM »

I believe it is in the Gospel of Luke where Jesus teaches the poor man how to properly clean his 9MM.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 04:57:24 PM »

I don't think Jesus really cares about guns
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 09:09:56 AM »

Why arbitrarily limit it to no criminals and such? Jesus believed in forgiveness, you know.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2007, 06:26:58 PM »

jesus certainly cares about gun violence
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2007, 06:29:42 PM »

So then why don't you whine about "Jesus & guns" Republicans and instead focus on basically the only such Democrat?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2007, 06:47:52 PM »

So then why don't you whine about "Jesus & guns" Republicans and instead focus on basically the only such Democrat?

get real, brtd.

your former party, the democrat party, has sold its soul on gun control.  most democrats go out of their way to kowtow to the gun nuts.  so, theyve basically adopted the republican position.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 06:49:35 PM »

get real, brtd.

your former party, the democrat party, has sold its soul on gun control.  most democrats go out of their way to kowtow to the gun nuts.  so, theyve basically adopted the republican position.

True. But considering I don't give a f**k about gun control this doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Barbour is just as much of a gun nut as Eaves. So why not whine about him? Or your beloved Santorum, George Allen and Ken Blackwell?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies