Random County Result! Republican Wins Race in Onondaga County NY
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:45:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Random County Result! Republican Wins Race in Onondaga County NY
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Random County Result! Republican Wins Race in Onondaga County NY  (Read 1684 times)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 07, 2007, 08:41:02 AM »
« edited: November 07, 2007, 11:55:09 AM by Dave Leip »

Giuliani's endorsed candidate for Onondaga (yes, spelling butchered) won a pretty impressive victory last night.  58-36.

Fairly impressive given the way the county has gone the last several cycles.

(Syracuse is the major *snicker* city in the county)

Link

Might give some indication to walsh's chances in 2008.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 10:48:39 AM »

I'm not very suprised that Joanie won. I'm just suprised by how much she won by. She has been popular for a while now and has a good family name. This was a hard fought campaign, congrats to her. (FYI - I really don't follow Syracuse politics!)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 11:54:58 AM »

This is an example of a race where Democrats though they had a real shot back about 6 months ago, but had no chance as of last night (see Erie County executive as well).  A lot of it has to do with Spitzer.  A lot of it also has to do with the fact the New York rarely votes out its incumbents.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 02:59:52 PM »

This is an example of a race where Democrats though they had a real shot back about 6 months ago, but had no chance as of last night (see Erie County executive as well).  A lot of it has to do with Spitzer.  A lot of it also has to do with the fact the New York rarely votes out its incumbents.

This was an open seat if I recall.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 03:03:55 PM »

This was an open seat if I recall.

You know, now that I think about it, the Erie one was as well.  My incumbent talk does apply, but only in more generalized NY situations.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 03:12:08 PM »

What sort of implications do these races have, if any (they're still just county posts), on how upstate NY is shaping up for 2008...?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 03:20:50 PM »

What sort of implications do these races have, if any (they're still just county posts), on how upstate NY is shaping up for 2008...?

Probably nothing at all.  If Eliot Spitzer keeps up his ways, however...  As usual, the Reps will be going after some upstate seats they lost last time generally.  Dems will be going after Long Island seats for the Xth time.

Some of that will of course be muted by the Presidential election, however.  And NY doesn't like to throw out incumbents, but I already said that.

It's funny, I'd be willing to bet that being an incumbent adds at least 5% to your vote in NY, whereas being an incumbent in say, Connecticut (close, but different) adds almost nothing to your vote.  Just food for thought.

We didn't have any interesting races here in the city yesterday.  Only contested contest of note was Staten Island DA, where Spitzer endorsed the Dem candidate by press release and didn't set foot on the island.  Needless to say, the Republican incumbent won 68-32.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies